I'm Getting A Little Annoyed With Giada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Made me LOL. Had a neighbor growing up from the Pitts area. Yins was normal to hear. Sometime yous as well.. I've traveled all over and LOVE the sounds of all the ways the world speaks but, the best way to understand anyone is with food. What a universal language it is.
I've also broke bread with some that I couldn't understand a word they said but the food bridged that gap.
ok i know what yous means being from ne nj but what does yins means?

cooking like language flavors life. Some food to me is to bland and some words to spicey. I guess it is true for looks clothes humour faith and politics. They can fire you up or leave you cold. IMHO The real art is to step outside of yourself to recognize what emotions are playing within you due to the flavors of life and then savour the realization.

Last edited:
Justin Wilson had gray hair, wore suspenders, and purposely used non-standard English (not that you do :)) and still charmed us all. You just might qualify for your own cooking show. Depends on what you cook. I sure liked his cajun dishes. He was a hoot!

There was another one too; grillin' expert, hillbilly-type---- Larry the Cable Guy reminds me of him...
can't remember his name tho'..................

I've spend almost 20 years in the south. I find myself saying all 'y'all sometimes. It's like speaking Japanese when you're in Japan. They understand you better. LOL

anyhoo, i like giada. she's so enthused! & i love when someone she's related to is on her show, cooking eith her.

Giada's show pioneered some of the close camera work we now take for granted on foodtv. And of course those sounds of onion being chopped or sizzling in the pan...

I noticed this again the other day. The sounds of the food cooking, the the crust of the bread crunching as she slices, the sound of the pasta mixing with the creamy sauce as she mixes it, etc. really give you a feel for the food and makes your mouth water.

It's possible to attack ANY TV cooking show and criticize the host. But it's supposed to be about the food and if you don't like the food, you get to switch to another show.

agreed, Andy. I must have really been crabby when I had my original thought. Giada's fine, even tho her "assets" don't register as strongly with me as with some of you guys (now if you want to talk about Jacques' or the Dinner Impossible guy's assets, I'm there!).

In fact, I recently lifted an idea from Giada that I posted over on the appetizers thread.

The World according to Italy. At least in her eyes. It's as if no other country knows how to cook.

And love how she speaks Italian for those special things only belonging to Italy.

Spi-ghitti :ermm:

My solution if I don't like a TV show, be it cooking or other, is to change the channel. Life's way too short to worry about what others are doing "wrong".
JMO.

Katy

It's probably tough to fill that many shows with new and exciting dishes and she Giada probably resorts on occasion to "Italianizing" an American dish. She did something called Leftover Chicken Dumplings (or potstickers, I can't remember which) that seamed Asian in style - but used ricotta and other Italian ingredients.

Batali is someone to watch if you want real, authentic, "geez, I've never heard of that one before" Italian food. Traditional stuff from the hills of somewhere west of Naples and north of Sicily which he probably discovered pooting along on his scooter through an alleyway too narrow for a car.

I love that Giada is making Italian food approachable for the masses. I am Italian and was raised by a first generation American woman and an Italian immigrant - so I've MANY whacko crazy never-heard-of dishes. They're not for everybody.

Where Giada tweaks a nerve with me is that she'll go to all the trouble of waaaay overpronouncing Italian words and say things like spah-GI-TEE which NO ONE says - but then she'll say mahr-uh-nahr-uh instead of the correct mah-dee-nah-da. (The "d's" are actually rolled r's but that's hard to spell out.)

An average non-Italian who is an avid home cook can get through Giada's recipes. As far as I'm concerned, that's spreadin' the Italian love and that's fine by me.

Back
Top Bottom