Inside America's Test Kitchen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did wish they had given more of the history of ATK. That show has come a long way.

When Chris Kimball first started the show, he would bring the cooked foods to Fanuiel Hall (an historic tourist trap in Boston) for the taste testing. There was no audience sitting in the studio.

Unfortunately for Chris, the show grew way beyond his dreams of what he wanted to show to be.

My granddaughter loved going to Fanuiel Hall on weekends. There is a candy stall that sells candied peas and carrots. Her two favorite veggies. We just happened to be there one weekend when they were test tasting a meat dish. She was just entering her "I hate meat" stage in life. So while they taste tested meat, she munched on her candy peas and carrots.

They are now located in a HUGE multi storied building in the newly developed Seaport District. Whereas Chris is located on Milk Street in the heart of Boston. The subway trains run right under his kitchen. Originally, it was the Milk Street Café. A Kosher quick lunch place. The average person who always went their for this lunch, never realized that it was a Kosher shop.

At first there was the "Food" channel. But ATK has overtaken them. Along with "Cooking Country". I cannot remember the last time I even looked at the Food Channel.

It would have been nice if CBS had given even some small recognition for Chris.

Addie, I remember seeing a similar, longer show years ago, while Chris was still with them, showing the methods of ATK; though they were much smaller then, in their old building, they were still doing the same types of things. I was surprised that they even showed Chris in passing, since they did not have a very pleasant parting of ways. They have probably deleted that old show, since it included a lot of Chris, though, as we know, it's hard to totally delete anything from the internet these days!

Chris Kimball was acknowledged in the video as a founder.

I am also glad he's gone. He was not likable at all and seemed to serve no real purpose.

With his being gone now the two shows don't seem to be having any problems. Also, they are introducing more new chefs.

I for one am glad they got rid of Chis. I always found him "blackboard scratching" annoying and pompous. It's a much better show without him.
Chris Kimball was acknowledged in the video as a founder.

I am also glad he's gone. He was not likable at all and seemed to serve no real purpose.

With his being gone now the two shows don't seem to be having any problems. Also, they are introducing more new chefs.
I didn't enjoy him very much, either. They moved to the new location because they had outgrown the previous space. The new owners he sold the company to wanted to increase their digital offerings - like their YouTube channel - and offer cooking classes and take advantage of other public opportunities in the newly redeveloped area they moved to. I never read Chris' boring columns in the front of Cooks Illustrated; the ones by the new editor in chief, Dan Souza, are much more interesting.

He got a great thing going, but he was holding back its growth.

I for one am glad they got rid of Chis. I always found him "blackboard scratching" annoying and pompous. It's a much better show without him.

I agree with that wholeheartedly. So often someone would ask if he could really cook. According to him, he attended culinary school. I take it he didn't learn very much there.

He certainly didn't add anything to the show. And he is still doing the same on Milk Street. I can not stand to watch him.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom