Julie and Julia movie?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Julio

Senior Cook
Hello,

I don't understand in the beginning of the movie when julia is at the restaurant eating the fish and she gives some to paul. She liked the fish or didn't like the fish?

My take on that scene is that they were kinda both like on the fence if they love the fish or didn't like it.

The scene was straight out of her book, "My Life in France". It was her very first meal in a Paris, and she thought it was the absolutely best food she had ever eaten in her life.

We watched the movie over the weekend and we really enjoyed it.

My take on that scene was that she was sharing the enjoyment of the fish.

I love this film,I found also some interviews with Julia Child on YouTube,she was really nice and brilliant,a good cook indeed!!The movie is perfect,I love Merryl Streep too,she is incredible!!

The scene was straight out of her book, "My Life in France". It was her very first meal in a Paris, and she thought it was the absolutely best food she had ever eaten in her life.

Yes, it's right out of "My Life in Paris," which is a fantastic book. ("Julie and Julia" isn't a very good book, IMO.)

The meal they were eating was actually in Rouen.

"Rouen is famous for its duck dishes, but after consulting the waiter Paul had decided to order sole meunière. It arrived whole: a large, flat Dover sole that was perfectly browned in a sputtering butter sauce with a sprinkling of chopped parsley on top. The waiter carefully placed the platter in front of us, stepped back, and said: "Bon appétit!"

I closed my eyes and inhaled the rising perfume. Then I lifted a forkful of fish to my mouth, took a bite, and chewed slowly. The flesh of the sole was delicate, with a light but distinct taste of the ocean that blended marvelously with the browned butter. I chewed slowly and swallowed. It was a morsel of perfection.

In Pasadena, we used to have broiled mackerel for Friday dinners, codfish balls with egg sauce, "boiled" (poached) salmon on the Fourth of July, and the occasional pan-fried trout when camping in the Sierras. But at La Couronne I experienced fish, and a dining experience, of a higher order than any I'd ever had before."

... broiled mackerel :rolleyes:...

Oh my, no wonder she liked the other fish so much. :)

Movie was good. Not the best one I've seen. They could have just made the movie about Julia Chilth (sp?), I would have been just as happy to see that.

Charlie, her name was Child.

Sole Meuniere really is one of the most delicious things I think I've ever eaten, too.

Oh my, no wonder she liked the other fish so much. :)

Movie was good. Not the best one I've seen. They could have just made the movie about Julia Chilth (sp?), I would have been just as happy to see that.

I am glad that I only paid .99 to watch it.

I love this film,I found also some interviews with Julia Child on YouTube,she was really nice and brilliant,a good cook indeed!!The movie is perfect,I love Merryl Streep too,she is incredible!!

I loved this movie too!

And my take on the scene was that she so enjoyed the food that she was speechless and had to share it with Paul. If she did not enjoy the food, why would she want Paul to try some?

I got the movie for Christmas (had already seen and loved it)

Yes, in that scene, Julia was just so totally taken with the food that she didn't know what to say or do and wanted to share this with Paul. She was a very demonstrative energetic woman - and Meryl Streep played her to a tee.

I like the story, and I especially like Meryl Streep in most anything she does!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom