"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2017, 03:51 PM   #1
Master Chef

Lidl is opening in the U.S.A.

I've shopped at Aldi for decades. Over the years of food forum chat and things I've read online, I discovered a similar, but even better, European grocery chain - Lidl. They are just now opening stores along the east coast, and I'm hoping we can check one out later this year during our annual pilgrimage to FL beaches. (There's one in Rocky Mount, NC) Business Insider describes them as a cross between a Kroger and a Trader Joe's. At twice the size of the typical Aldi (but smaller than the usual U.S. grocery store), if there ever was one near where we live I could probably do all of my shopping there.

To see if there are any near you, the Lidl website lists all the new stores that are currently opening.

Hey GG, there's one opening in your neck of the woods! Road Trip! Lidl VA

"A dream is a festival of lights within your mind."~~~Joan Walsh Anglund
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 04:51 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Yup, yesterday some opened here in NC, their first US stores. There will be one opening closer to me later this year. I may check out the one a few towns over next week. I love Aldi and having Lidl too will be great!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 05:34 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Lidl is very common in The European Union and Spain. I love their natural Greek Yogurt .. It is sold by the Kilo in a big tub .. It is absolutely amazing ..

They also have European cheeses from 27 E.U. countries ..

If you have one near you, check it out .. And their prices are fair & reasonable in Spain ..

I am sure they will be similar as exporting bulk merchandise is alot cheaper Than exporting small amounts ..

The main hub is Germany and I am sure if they are opening supermarkets in the Usa, they will have a hub or main warehouse or warehouses ..

Have a lovely evening ..
Old 06-16-2017, 06:16 PM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagittarius View Post
Lidl is very common in The European Union and Spain. I love their natural Greek Yogurt .. It is sold by the Kilo in a big tub .. It is absolutely amazing ..

They also have European cheeses from 27 E.U. countries ..

If you have one near you, check it out .. And their prices are fair & reasonable in Spain ..

I am sure they will be similar as exporting bulk merchandise is alot cheaper Than exporting small amounts ..

The main hub is Germany and I am sure if they are opening supermarkets in the Usa, they will have a hub or main warehouse or warehouses ..

Have a lovely evening ..
We have two opening within a few miles of my home. From the looks of things less than a month from opening.

I will be interested in their product line.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:39 PM   #5
Head Chef

How many of you know ALDI owns Trader Joe's?

CD
Old 06-17-2017, 02:39 AM   #6
Master Chef

I understood that they were two separate entities, owned by competing brothers(?) or cousins(?). When they were trying to divide the original business in Germany, one took Aldi and maintained it as it was, the other took the value in what they split and opened Trader Joe's in the U.S. At least that's what I remember reading online when Boston's Market Basket chain was going through it's own "it's mine - no, it's MINE" argument.

Same family, but different companies.

"A dream is a festival of lights within your mind."~~~Joan Walsh Anglund
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:54 AM   #7
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Yup, yesterday some opened here in NC, their first US stores. There will be one opening closer to me later this year. I may check out the one a few towns over next week. I love Aldi and having Lidl too will be great!
Where at in NC are you? Rumors are going around that we're going to have one here in EC but that's all it's been so far.
cjmmytunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:23 AM   #8
Head Chef

I love their kids clothes, great value for money and it not all frilly for girls. I am so hoping I can get hold of their autumn rain gear this year, fleece lined and so durable.

If I had had more money and freezer space, I would have filled up the freezer with Turkish food this week but no, my freezer is full.