"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 07-25-2009, 01:22 PM   #11
Head Chef

But, it makes for great TV! Especially those little advertisement clips...
hmmmm, do ya think they do it on purpose???? (O.K., maybe not "great")

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 02:58 PM   #12
Sous Chef

I think it would be good if a chef, media chef or regular, had to earn that toque like they did back in the day. Show me how to make an egg 100 different ways and then I will call you chef and allow you to wear the chefs hat. Otherwise, its the pillsbury doughboy hat for you forever.
Remember kiddies, the higher the hat, the lower you bow. LOL

Old 07-25-2009, 03:54 PM   #13
Master Chef

To me it is seasonal. Right now my peppers and tomatoes are just starting to ripen. My herbs are at their height. And, yes, simple IS better when you have great produce at your fingertips. But here in NW IL, that is about one or two months out of the year. I have no air conditioning, so I enjoy spending a little more time on sauces and such in the winter, when there isn't such a thing as a great tomato, and my peppers are all dried. At that point, more complicated sauces and such are fun to play with and give some great flavor to blah produce, plus warm up the house, my family and friends.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:16 PM   #14
Cook

Send a message via ICQ to chiffonade Send a message via AIM to chiffonade Send a message via Yahoo to chiffonade
There are some times where a two- or three ingredient dish is all you need. Simple dinners after work totally rule. You don't spend a day and a half procuring ingredients as long as you have a well-stocked pantry. I think the cooking shows are starting to reflect this.

Do you ever watch Everyday Food? It's a PBS show spinoff of the Martha Stewart small-format magazine. The ingredient lists are purposely short and the techniques are simple and quick.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:24 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Haha ... I'm a meat-n-taters man at heart ... only 2 ingredients Give me a steak and a potato with only seasoning as another ingredient (and some butter for my tater). BBQ chicken or ribs, not heavy on ingredients unless you include the seasoning.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:43 PM   #16
Cook

Send a message via ICQ to chiffonade Send a message via AIM to chiffonade Send a message via Yahoo to chiffonade
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefallin1309 View Post
Haha ... I'm a meat-n-taters man at heart ... only 2 ingredients Give me a steak and a potato with only seasoning as another ingredient (and some butter for my tater). BBQ chicken or ribs, not heavy on ingredients unless you include the seasoning.
Wow - you're easy to please!
Old 08-09-2009, 05:09 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiffonade View Post
Wow - you're easy to please!

Sometimes Other times I still like my steak au poivre
Old 08-10-2009, 03:21 AM   #18
Senior Cook

I agree that the best things in life are usually the simple ones and this of cause applies to cooking but don't you think the reason for all these over complicated recipes is TV? It's what people want to see. If you was to watch someone on tv season a steak with salt & pepper and then fry for 3-4 minutes I'm sure you wouldn't be coming back for more the next week. People like to watch creativity and something just a little different even if it doesn't necessarily mean you will try it at home.

Anyway I'm just putting out some thoughts and would be interested to hear if you think TV is to blame.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:38 AM   #19
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyjonny_uk View Post
I agree that the best things in life are usually the simple ones and this of cause applies to cooking but don't you think the reason for all these over complicated recipes is TV? It's what people want to see. If you was to watch someone on tv season a steak with salt & pepper and then fry for 3-4 minutes I'm sure you wouldn't be coming back for more the next week. People like to watch creativity and something just a little different even if it doesn't necessarily mean you will try it at home.

Anyway I'm just putting out some thoughts and would be interested to hear if you think TV is to blame.
Not sure if I'd write every complicated recipe off to TV. I've written recipes for holiday foods or celebration foods that had very long ingredient lists but it's because I was going for complex flavors.

Take a recipe for gingerbread cookies. I've never seen one that didn't look like the War & Peace of recipes but it's because there are about 8 different spices included - not much of each but they are all necessary to create that gingerbread flavor. Even the French dish, cassoulet, which no doubt started out as a French peasant wife's way to use up leftovers - is a verrrry long recipe. But it's an incredible dish...LOL.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:40 AM   #20
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiffonade View Post
Not sure if I'd write every complicated recipe off to TV. I've written recipes for holiday foods or celebration foods that had very long ingredient lists but it's because I was going for complex flavors.

Take a recipe for gingerbread cookies. I've never seen one that didn't look like the War & Peace of recipes but it's because there are about 8 different spices included - not much of each but they are all necessary to create that gingerbread flavor. Even the French dish, cassoulet, which no doubt started out as a French peasant wife's way to use up leftovers - is a verrrry long recipe. But it's an incredible dish...LOL.
Hi Chiffonade, hope you're well?

I think I put it the wrong way. I wasn't meaning every complicated recipe is tv's fault but more that tv shows have to feature complicated recipes to make it appear interesting. It makes for good viewing.