"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 09-12-2012, 07:12 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I really enjoy baking homemade breads, so it would be kind of a downer if it turned out to be true.
Me too. But, am doing so less and less these days. I like a feed of fresh crusty bread, then the rest of the loaf gets hard and usually gets tossed. Then, there is the argument of 80 year olds who have been eating white bread every day of their lives........once again, I live by the credo that moderation is the key.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:15 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Is the gluten free fad winding down already? (not referring to celiac sufferers)

It's that, or this doctor is trying to ride the coat tails of the gluten free fad. From what I have read of this book, it's just rehashed Atkins.

I've already had a customer mention the evils of wheat to me, and had to go research it, from what came out of his mouth, I guarantee that he read this book, because what he said was almost the same as the reviewers on Amazon.

As I've said before, I highly doubt that any one thing lead to the obesity epidemic, it's a perfect storm of processed, convenience, modified foods and more sedentary lifestyles.

When people say "well I've lost #xx pounds on" (insert fad diet here), I'll tell them, "well you've cut out a category that probably made up at least 50% of your calories per day, and have you replaced those calories with something else?" Likely not, and that's what resulted in weight loss. When you are talking something like a low carb diet, you are taking calorie dense foods (carbs) and replacing them with foods that are less calorie dense (protein), so yeah, unless you eat enough protein to cover the calories of the carbs, then you will lose weight.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:56 AM   #13
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
I been working my latest invention....dehydrated dihydrogen monoxide. If I can get all the bugs worked out, you will be able to carry some with you in case of emergencies. Think of the advantages!!!!
When you get it perfected, I'd like to get a few cases.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:10 AM   #14
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
When people say "well I've lost #xx pounds on" (insert fad diet here), I'll tell them, "well you've cut out a category that probably made up at least 50% of your calories per day, and have you replaced those calories with something else?" Likely not, and that's what resulted in weight loss. When you are talking something like a low carb diet, you are taking calorie dense foods (carbs) and replacing them with foods that are less calorie dense (protein), so yeah, unless you eat enough protein to cover the calories of the carbs, then you will lose weight.
No fad diet here, just common sense. We haven't cut out any food group, but we have cut back on some of the most calorie-dense, nutrition-bereft fats and carbs. We've also cut back on serving sizes dramatically. I honestly believe that a big part of the obesity epidemic is that people have simply lost sight on what constitutes a serving of food. One thing we've done is pack away all of our 12-inch dinner plates, and replace them with 10-inch plates. The new rule in our house is that dinner has to fit on the plate (with vegetables taking up at least half of the real estate). No piling and no seconds. Following these few simple rules, I'm shocked at how quickly weight has begun falling off. I literally feel like I just unzipped a fat suit and stepped out of it. And my wife, a petite woman (though about 20 lbs overweight) who has tried every fad diet over the years without losing much at all, has dropped 11 pounds in the last month.

We've also started splitting meals at restaurants. Restaurants hate that, but it's our small way of rebelling against the humongous portions many of them serve.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:21 AM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
No fad diet here, just common sense. We haven't cut out any food group, but we have cut back on some of the most calorie-dense, nutrition-bereft fats and carbs. We've also cut back on serving sizes dramatically. I honestly believe that a big part of the obesity epidemic is that people have simply lost sight on what constitutes a serving of food. One thing we've done is pack away all of our 12-inch dinner plates, and replace them with 10-inch plates. The new rule in our house is that dinner has to fit on the plate (with vegetables taking up at least half of the real estate). No piling and no seconds. Following these few simple rules, I'm shocked at how quickly weight has begun falling off. I literally feel like I just unzipped a fat suit and stepped out of it. And my wife, a petite woman (though about 20 lbs overweight) who has tried every fad diet over the years without losing much at all, has dropped 11 pounds in the last month.

We've also started splitting meals at restaurants. Restaurants hate that, but it's our small way of rebelling against the humongous portions many of them serve.

Well done Steve. All you have to do is eat less than your body uses. This kind of diet allows you to eat all types of foods in moderation. You never really have to have an unfulfilled craving.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:50 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll

That's the way to do it! I eat in a very similar way. I do like carbs, but they are no longer the majority of my meal. I still use my big plates because, I am weird about certain foods touching and mixing, If we are eating pasta and sauce, we'll use the smaller plates, makes eyeballing the serving size easier.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:27 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Well done, Steve. I have lost weight simply by making sure my portion size is realistic--not restaurant size, but the recommended portion size. And, by switching the time of day I take in the majority of my calories. I also do not snack between meals. I have dumped bread--in part because I'm too lazy to go get the bread machine out of the basement, the other part is that it is one of the easiest ways to gain weight. Both my brothers got rid of their bread machines after they had each gained 20 lb. A fad diet doesn't work--what does work, is changing one's lifestyle.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:07 PM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post

I do know that I feel better and eat less if I keep wheat, milk and refined sugar out of my diet.
Same with me but cutting back on salt also helped me. Its not easy since I love good bread with butter, salty foods and a good bear claw in the morning.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:09 PM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
I really enjoy baking homemade breads, so it would be kind of a downer if it turned out to be true. I have to admit, though, that since my wife and I started a diet last month that prohibits simple carbs, we both feel immensely healthier. Though feeling better might just simply stem from the fact that I've lost 22 lbs.
Congratulations losing 22 lbs of excess weight will make anyone feel better.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:14 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
I been working my latest invention....dehydrated dihydrogen monoxide. If I can get all the bugs worked out, you will be able to carry some with you in case of emergencies. Think of the advantages!!!!
I think ideally, it would be reconstituted with tequila.

Tags
wheat