Modern wheat is poison, according to this guy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I read a great deal of food literature, but this is the first time I've ever heard this Dr's claim.

Modern wheat a "perfect, chronic poison," doctor says - CBS News

He maintains that even whole wheat is a food to be avoided. :ermm:
Interesting. He is talking about wheat that is different from what we ate 40 years ago. I wonder if the organic wheat from the smaller farms is the same.

I somehow doubt that it is the simple answer as to why North Americans are getting fatter and fatter. It might be part of the problem. We keep hearing one thing after the other is "the problem".

I wonder how much nutrition this cardiologist has studied.

Interesting. There are a lot of different strains of wheat. Following the "dust bowl" years, research went into creating drought-resistant hybrids that also yielded more bushels/acre. I wonder if with crop rotation practices (another problem re: the dust bowl--farmers weren't rotating the crops to replenish the soil's nutrients), farmers could plant "heirloom" varieties of wheat and get high enough yields to compete with modern varieties?

On a totally different subject, I saw an interesting documentary on marijuana the other day. Marijuana used to have a 12-month growth cycle. It used to grow to 12 ft. Now, it has a 90-day growth cycle, grows to about 3-4 ft. and is an INDOOR plant. This stemmed from the fields being raided and the growers moving their operations indoors. I can't remember all the details and the height of the indoor plants and the previous growth cycle may be wrong--it was much longer than 90-days. But I remember the 90 day and 12 ft information. This all happened from about 1970 to now, so about 40 years.

Open a seed catalog and look at heirloom tomatoes and how long they take to produce fruit vs. the hybrids that started emerging in the '60s.

Last edited:
I saw a piece about him on television.

He may be correct or he may be the nut de jour.

I do know that I feel better and eat less if I keep wheat, milk and refined sugar out of my diet.

That is a real struggle for me, I am like an alcoholic that goes on a bender when I eat them. It takes a few days to get back on track.

Sort of like Ray Milland in Lost Weekend, only with milk and cookies! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I really enjoy baking homemade breads, so it would be kind of a downer if it turned out to be true. I have to admit, though, that since my wife and I started a diet last month that prohibits simple carbs, we both feel immensely healthier. Though feeling better might just simply stem from the fact that I've lost 22 lbs. :)

I been working my latest invention....dehydrated dihydrogen monoxide. If I can get all the bugs worked out, you will be able to carry some with you in case of emergencies. Think of the advantages!!!!

I really enjoy baking homemade breads, so it would be kind of a downer if it turned out to be true. :)
Me too. But, am doing so less and less these days. I like a feed of fresh crusty bread, then the rest of the loaf gets hard and usually gets tossed. Then, there is the argument of 80 year olds who have been eating white bread every day of their lives........once again, I live by the credo that moderation is the key.

Last edited:
Is the gluten free fad winding down already? (not referring to celiac sufferers)

It's that, or this doctor is trying to ride the coat tails of the gluten free fad. From what I have read of this book, it's just rehashed Atkins.

I've already had a customer mention the evils of wheat to me, and had to go research it, from what came out of his mouth, I guarantee that he read this book, because what he said was almost the same as the reviewers on Amazon.

As I've said before, I highly doubt that any one thing lead to the obesity epidemic, it's a perfect storm of processed, convenience, modified foods and more sedentary lifestyles.

When people say "well I've lost #xx pounds on" (insert fad diet here), I'll tell them, "well you've cut out a category that probably made up at least 50% of your calories per day, and have you replaced those calories with something else?" Likely not, and that's what resulted in weight loss. When you are talking something like a low carb diet, you are taking calorie dense foods (carbs) and replacing them with foods that are less calorie dense (protein), so yeah, unless you eat enough protein to cover the calories of the carbs, then you will lose weight.

I been working my latest invention....dehydrated dihydrogen monoxide. If I can get all the bugs worked out, you will be able to carry some with you in case of emergencies. Think of the advantages!!!!

When you get it perfected, I'd like to get a few cases.

When people say "well I've lost #xx pounds on" (insert fad diet here), I'll tell them, "well you've cut out a category that probably made up at least 50% of your calories per day, and have you replaced those calories with something else?" Likely not, and that's what resulted in weight loss. When you are talking something like a low carb diet, you are taking calorie dense foods (carbs) and replacing them with foods that are less calorie dense (protein), so yeah, unless you eat enough protein to cover the calories of the carbs, then you will lose weight.
No fad diet here, just common sense. We haven't cut out any food group, but we have cut back on some of the most calorie-dense, nutrition-bereft fats and carbs. We've also cut back on serving sizes dramatically. I honestly believe that a big part of the obesity epidemic is that people have simply lost sight on what constitutes a serving of food. One thing we've done is pack away all of our 12-inch dinner plates, and replace them with 10-inch plates. The new rule in our house is that dinner has to fit on the plate (with vegetables taking up at least half of the real estate). No piling and no seconds. Following these few simple rules, I'm shocked at how quickly weight has begun falling off. I literally feel like I just unzipped a fat suit and stepped out of it. And my wife, a petite woman (though about 20 lbs overweight) who has tried every fad diet over the years without losing much at all, has dropped 11 pounds in the last month.

We've also started splitting meals at restaurants. Restaurants hate that, but it's our small way of rebelling against the humongous portions many of them serve.

Last edited:
No fad diet here, just common sense. We haven't cut out any food group, but we have cut back on some of the most calorie-dense, nutrition-bereft fats and carbs. We've also cut back on serving sizes dramatically. I honestly believe that a big part of the obesity epidemic is that people have simply lost sight on what constitutes a serving of food. One thing we've done is pack away all of our 12-inch dinner plates, and replace them with 10-inch plates. The new rule in our house is that dinner has to fit on the plate (with vegetables taking up at least half of the real estate). No piling and no seconds. Following these few simple rules, I'm shocked at how quickly weight has begun falling off. I literally feel like I just unzipped a fat suit and stepped out of it. And my wife, a petite woman (though about 20 lbs overweight) who has tried every fad diet over the years without losing much at all, has dropped 11 pounds in the last month.

We've also started splitting meals at restaurants. Restaurants hate that, but it's our small way of rebelling against the humongous portions many of them serve.

Well done Steve. All you have to do is eat less than your body uses. This kind of diet allows you to eat all types of foods in moderation. You never really have to have an unfulfilled craving.

Steve Kroll said:

That's the way to do it! I eat in a very similar way. I do like carbs, but they are no longer the majority of my meal. I still use my big plates because, I am weird about certain foods touching and mixing, :LOL: If we are eating pasta and sauce, we'll use the smaller plates, makes eyeballing the serving size easier.

Well done, Steve. I have lost weight simply by making sure my portion size is realistic--not restaurant size, but the recommended portion size. And, by switching the time of day I take in the majority of my calories. I also do not snack between meals. I have dumped bread--in part because I'm too lazy to go get the bread machine out of the basement, the other part is that it is one of the easiest ways to gain weight. Both my brothers got rid of their bread machines after they had each gained 20 lb. A fad diet doesn't work--what does work, is changing one's lifestyle.

I do know that I feel better and eat less if I keep wheat, milk and refined sugar out of my diet.

Same with me but cutting back on salt also helped me. Its not easy since I love good bread with butter, salty foods and a good bear claw in the morning.

I really enjoy baking homemade breads, so it would be kind of a downer if it turned out to be true. I have to admit, though, that since my wife and I started a diet last month that prohibits simple carbs, we both feel immensely healthier. Though feeling better might just simply stem from the fact that I've lost 22 lbs. :)

Congratulations losing 22 lbs of excess weight will make anyone feel better.

I think ideally, it would be reconstituted with tequila.
Instant-water.jpg

Back
Top Bottom