My favorite Youtube chef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldrustycars

Senior Cook
I like a few Food channel chefs, Nigella Lawson and Alton Brown mainly. OK, so I mainly like looking at Nigella. Anyway, the stuff they cook is usually too complex for the short time and budget I have. I look through Youtube for recipes, and found this guy Dave. He's a true Southern cook (which I aspire to be, even though I live in northern Illinois). He uses few ingredients, never any fancy cookware (mostly cast iron), and everything is fairly simple. Take a look at his stuff, I haven't found a bad recipe yet.
OK, I'm not allowed to post a URL yet, as I'm a newbie. Try Youtube, and search "jaybobed" and his vids will come up.

I like a few Food channel chefs, Nigella Lawson and Alton Brown mainly. OK, so I mainly like looking at Nigella. Anyway, the stuff they cook is usually too complex for the short time and budget I have. I look through Youtube for recipes, and found this guy Dave. He's a true Southern cook (which I aspire to be, even though I live in northern Illinois). He uses few ingredients, never any fancy cookware (mostly cast iron), and everything is fairly simple. Take a look at his stuff, I haven't found a bad recipe yet.
OK, I'm not allowed to post a URL yet, as I'm a newbie. Try Youtube, and search "jaybobed" and his vids will come up.
Thanks for information.

Mostly all of the chefs on the foodnetwork are great, but I do agree some of them do not always use ingredients that are readly avalibale, and some of the ingredients can be pricey. There are a bunch who do use easy ingredients and recipes that do not take long to make.

Of course Rachel Ray is the perfect example. Some of her meals can cost more than 40 dollars, but she will say it is a special occasion dinner or a steak night dinner, which of course you might want to splurge a little on. Most of her recipes are very afordable, and only take 30 minutes to make. It might take a little longer than 30 minutes to make them, if you are not well prepared, but if you are fast enough it can be done in 30 minutes.

Another one I love is tyler florance. Tyler's ulitmate is a great show, and you learn a lot. Not all of his meals are cheap, and some take longer than others. All of the things he makes look delicious, and the ones I have made did taste delicious. So if you are looking for an afordable and quick meal to prepare it just depends on what he is making.

Quick meals with robin miller is another great show. I mean quick meals says it all. She will prep food over the weekend, so that weeknight meals are quick and easy to make. For example she will make extra chicken and use the chicken to make two seperate dishes. That way she does not have to cook chicken two times.

All of the other food network chefs are great and have great recipes, but some of them use expensive ingredients or their recipes can take a while to make. Some of their recipes are afordable and quick to make, but most of the time not.

Thanks for the tips on the youtube chefs. I have not seen any chefs on youtube, but will have to check it out.

There are some great videos on youtube. I like Clara, she is 93 and does the depression era recipes. Its like a recipe with a history lesson.

I found jaybobed and I really enjoy watching the videos. He is my kind of cook.I am going to try the fried okra, even though I have been frying it a long time. I think his method would be better. Also, I use cast iron all of the time so I was interested in how he seasoned the pans. Turns out I do about the same thing. Thanks for mentioning him.

I love vahchef, keithsnow, and foodwishes! The great thing about youtube videos is that they are short, perfect for attentions spans like mine :)

<-- taking notes.

We were trying to bring our episodes up to broadcast length (18-22 minutes) but we may rethink that strategy... :ermm:

I think many people have short attention spans! I believe the youtube time limit is 10 minutes or less unless you are a partner. That said, assuming the video is high quality and the camera isn't shaky, it depends on the personality of the host for me, some people I enjoy so much I don't mind watching them for long periods of time.

Youtube says "10 minutes or less" - but as long as the file is under their size limit (which is VERY easy to do with even full-quality H.264) they're cool with it.

I have at least two episodes up that are over 10 minutes in length.

Heston Blumenthal every time - the guy is a genius - who'd have thought of anchovie and buttered toast ice-cream but HIM!!

Back
Top Bottom