"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 06-23-2013, 12:56 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

agreed, maddie. her plagiarism is without bounds, or so i've heard.

we have a few of those types in the states. but they're smart enough to take credit on a tv show first showcasing the originator, then publishing their cookbooks. lol

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:04 AM   #12
Head Chef

Yes I even heard from forum members from the old Nigella website who said they saw their recipes appear in her books . Then again recipes do get fiddled with over the years and they are not really new . I always think if you use someone else's recipe you should reference it .

Old 06-24-2013, 12:47 AM   #13
Master Chef

Most of us here know by now that's there can't be plagiarism with ingredients, only with instructions. There are only a few ways to instruct someone how to make Guacamole for example, so it really makes me laugh when someone claims "plagiarism" with any but the most complicated recipe.
I always enjoy Andy M's signature..."If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe"..Carl Sagan

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:16 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Most of us here know by now that's there can't be plagiarism with ingredients, only with instructions. There are only a few ways to instruct someone how to make Guacamole for example, so it really makes me laugh when someone claims "plagiarism" with any but the most complicated recipe.
I always enjoy Andy M's signature..."If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe"..Carl Sagan
Yes, I agree about similarities in the wording of recipes but I was referring to NL's use not only word for word of recipes but even copying the rubric written by the original author.

In one instance I looked at an NL recipe and thought "Hmm, I recognise that", gone to the other author's book and NL has definitely done a cut-and-paste job on it, including the comment that "This is my late mother-in-law's recipe for...." The book in question was published around 25 years before NL's so there was no issue of who was plagiarising who. After that I started to look out for it.

I'm a bit of a cookery nerd and have over 300 cookery books so I might spot what others don't
Old 06-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #15
Sous Chef

That's true Gravyqueen. Her dad was Nigel Lawson, who was in the government some years back. I think she makes some of her dishes look easy and quick for entertaining and the men like her of course but you need a larder full of ingredients right there, right now to do what she does. However, her avocado and blue cheese dip is amazing

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote