Only 1 in 10 Americans Eat Their Fruits & Veg

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love fresh fruits, but it is hard to get good stuff in the winter. I like veggies, too, but don't know that I eat as much as I should.

CD

I think we do pretty well. We almost always have fruit/veggies at all meals. Every morning we have some sort of fruit with our breakfast: grapefruit, clementines, fresh berries, etc.

Lunchtime is about the same but if most often grapes. There's always a basket of grapes on the table. I'll grab some as I walk by.

Suppertime includes at least two vegetables and, occasionally, one of our desserts will be made of fruit: apple pie, blueberry pie, etc.

There's a three-tier basket rack on the kitchen counter that is filled with apples, bananas, etc. Glenn loves really green bananas and there are a bunch of them most of time.

Summertime is the best when our counter rack is filled with all sorts of goodies, but we'll have to wait for next summer to enjoy those treats.

I love veggies more than fruits. My fruits can be counted on one hand. I often when looking for a snack to munch on, will go into the freezer and get out a bag of peas, green beans, or some other veggie just for something to satisfy me. I think my favorite veggies are petite peas and broccoli. I can sit and eat a small bag in one sitting. I would rather have a veggie than a piece of meat.

My ideal meal would consist of peas and broccoli, baked tater and a very small piece of meat.

A couple of years ago, I asked for a table so I could sit and eat a meal like a normal person. And there it sits used for everything but a meal. I eat at the computer, night stand or even the kitchen counter. Pirate sits in his chair eating his meal. We have yet to sit down and eat a meal together. And more often than not, they are two different meals. He cooks his, I cook mine.

I think this is going to be my New Years Resolution. To develop better eating habits and meals.

I do fine on the amounts of fruit and vegetables but I should be a little more adventurous and expand the variety of fruits and vegetables that I eat.

Being a vegetarian, I guess I don't have much of a choice.

Over the summer, I took pics of my fridge and counters after I had unloaded the produce. I had never really thought about it until I looked and saw veggies and fruit everywhere. It didn't include all the stuff I had outside in the garden at the time. And it represents a typical week of shopping in my house.

Attachments

• UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_52e8.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_52e8.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 191
  • UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_52f5.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_52f5.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 118
  • UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_52f0.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_52f0.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 162
  • UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_52dc.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_52dc.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 124
  • UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_52fb.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_52fb.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 129
  • UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_52ea.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_52ea.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 119
  • UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_52e7.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_52e7.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 159
We love veges and fruit. Most every meal has a vege side or they are incorporated in the dish. Some meals are strictly veges, but I reserve the right to use meat stock in them.

As someone who is diabetic and has been on a low-carb diet for over three years, I can say in all honesty that I eat ZERO fruits (well, with the exception of avocados and olives, that is). Fruit spikes my blood sugar badly. I feel healthy and happy without it, and have no intention of changing.

I do eat plenty of vegetables, though.

Last edited:
:LOL:

oh my gosh! mahalo, thanks for that catch and fix there rf & pf !!! my bad, maybe it was too early for my brain :rolleyes:;):ROFLMAO:

It was too early for mine, too. I must've read it 4 or 5 times before roadfix commented and another 2 or 3 before it clicked how to fix it.:LOL:

As someone who is diabetic and has been on a low-carb diet for over three years, I can say in all honesty that I eat ZERO fruits (well, with the exception of avocados and olives, that is). Fruit spikes my blood sugar badly. I feel healthy and happy without it, and have no intention of changing.

I do eat plenty of vegetables, though.
I am pretty much the same..other than the fact that I am not diabetic..I just don't crave, or enjoy fruit...I will eat it on occasion, but rarely grab some myself...

We usually eat enough veggies each to satisfy a normal family's consumption. If you compared the volume of what we have on our plate to the "per serving" measured size, sometimes our salad alone is a full day's worth of veggies! :LOL:

Fruits tend to run in cycles, and are mostly seasonal. I can make friends with only so many winter choices - I mean I like them, I just don't think to eat them every day. Summer, though? Most melons and berries, stone fruits...they all are consumed voraciously. As a side to cottage cheese, as a mix-in for yoghurt...lots of fruits in our meals during summertime.

Back
Top Bottom