"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 02-25-2009, 11:09 AM   #1
Master Chef

PBS cooking shows

Since I don't have food network , I am stuck with PBS cooking shows. I like Lidia. I also watch Mary Ann Esposito , America's Test Kitchen , sometimes Every day Cooking.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:31 AM   #2
Master Chef

PBS' shows are actually much better, IMO. I love them all. Especially the old Julia Child ones. And Jacques!!

Lydia's Italy is absolutely one of the best. I very often end up making her recipes for Saturday dinner after watching.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:33 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I too like Lidia... and she makes great wine! I just signed up for her newsletter.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:36 AM   #4
Senior Cook

To tell you the truth I don't think being 'stuck' with only the PBS cooking shows is all that bad. Made in Spain, Lidia, Caprial, Prime Grill, ATK, and Julia are some of the best shows on TV. For every good Foodnetwork show there are many that just fill air time. I find myself watching PBS, on the regular PBS channel as well as the CREATE channel, more and more. It is even the first place I look when watching tv. I like Bobby Flay, and now they have Daisy, who had the Daily Cooks show on PBS. Giada is getting kind of repetitive, Paula predictable and unimaginitive, Barefoot Contessa is the same show over and over again. I looked forward to Jamie at Home, but they are already running reruns for at least the third time.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:46 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
PBS' shows are actually much better, IMO. I love them all. Especially the old Julia Child ones. And Jacques!!

Lydia's Italy is absolutely one of the best. I very often end up making her recipes for Saturday dinner after watching.
Im with you Jennema - PBS shows are way better than
Food Network. Pepin teaches knife skills, butchering skills,cooking skills
(like how to poach, how to make an omelet etc.)
Food Network shows are more about entertainment than
instruction.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:56 PM   #6
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
Since I don't have food network , I am stuck with PBS cooking shows. I like Lidia. I also watch Mary Ann Esposito , America's Test Kitchen , sometimes Every day Cooking.
you also have Daisy Martinez, Rick Bayless, Ming Tsai, Martin Yan, and several others. Imho, all the PBS shows are head and shoulders above those on TVFN. You aren't missing anything.

My favorites are Lidia and Jacques Pepin.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:58 PM   #7
Sous Chef

I also prefer PBS cooking shows !!!!
Old 02-25-2009, 01:58 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I was completely hooked on PBS and then they changed the format here in California...I have to agree that the shows are far better on PBS..When I first happened on Lidia I loved her. You felt as if you were a valued friend in her kitchen and most of her recipes were spot on for us. I enjoyed Capril, Jacques, Julia, Madelyn Kahmen, even some of the other older ones..I watch Food network, but find I get bored after the 8th. re-run. But I suppose it's better than nothing when you're laid up

kadesma
Old 02-26-2009, 01:10 AM   #9
Master Chef

I wish I could remember all of the excellent chefs/cooks I have seen on PBS that FoodTV could have had - but never did, and could never match! They could pick up options for reruns of old PBS shows - but they don't. They did pick up about a dozen of the old Galloping Gourmet episodes but dropped it because of a lack of viewer interest (of course they were airing it at about 4:00am!)

PBS gave us Julia Child - FoodTV gave us Guy's Big Bites.

The only thing FoodTV offers is some stuff 7-days a week for a fee, PBS offers quality cooking shows maybe one day a week for free.

Don't think you are missing anything watching the shows on PBS - you're getting the cream.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:10 AM   #10
Head Chef

I find with the food network, I go through phases. Ill watch a show consistently for a few weeks, then get a little tired of the shtick, and look somewhere else. But, the PBS shows like jacques and lidia, I find myself consistently watching week after week, because I never get tired of their main focus, which is cooking ( and not entertainment like the food network)