Pioneer Woman is

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think The Pioneer Woman represents the average North American cook at all. Perhaps a subset of southern cooking? A lot of her stuff has way too much butter, sugar, fat.

I followed her on twitter before she became famous. I think she's a bit full of herself but congratulate her on taking an idea and making it work.

The men and women she feeds on a ranch need the calories but a regular man like me would soon be more overweight than I already am. :pig:

I just loved her blog before she became famous and a star. She seemed so genuine to me back then. Now she has that ridiculous constant smile on her face and she seems anything but genuine. I think Ina Garten does a better job of representing American home cooks myself.

I just loved her blog before she became famous and a star. She seemed so genuine to me back then. Now she has that ridiculous constant smile on her face and she seems anything but genuine. I think Ina Garten does a better job of representing American home cooks myself.

I think of her as the only woman I know who doesn’t have a resting b**** face :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
... not the person posting on her blog any longer, at least that's MY opinion.

I too followed her blog prior to being picked up by Food Network.
And NOW she's (pioneer Women that is, not the person Ree Drummond)
a BRAND for crying out loud!

I was foolish enough to ask Santa Claus for some of her new line at Walmart,
very, very, VERY cheap quality!
And here, I had sworn to myself that I would never, ever buy any TV Chef/cook's product again!

GEEZ! Here I have a food blog too, how do I get on that gravy train?

Uuuuuuuccckkkkkkkkk! Nononononono! Sugar in the stuffing? I must look of this! Aunty Stela and Mamma Belle would both fall out of their wheelchairs of this idea!

I shall not speak of this to Mamma or Laki. They would be very quick of the rolling pin upon my head!

I just told Joyce of this! She clasped her chest and staggered about, making gagging noises, ha!

No sugar in the stuffing!

Love,
~Cat

I too really enjoyed PW's blog before she became famous. I don't watch her shows on food network anymore and agree with Kay about the constant fake 'smile' - and to add to that, her annoying nasal voice. LOL. I do have to hand it to her, she somehow turned a blog about a ranch family into a multimillion dollar empire. I've gotten some ideas from a few of her recipes, but tweaked them a little. :)

I sure wouldn't mind having her ranch home, though. :D

Fro our Thanksgiving meal, only the seabreeze salad (lime Jello with cream cheese and walnuts blended in) and my rutabagas have any sugar. The Jello is sweetened at the factory, and I add just a little brown sugar to the rutabaga, along with butter, then mash them. I serve a relish tray with both black and green olives, smashed spuds, sweet potatoes (no sugar added), a savory sage & giblet bread dressing, roast or smoked whole turkey, pre carved before bringing it to the table, and various beverages (mainly milk at out home), and home-made cranberry sauce (yes I use sweetener there). Deserts are where the sugar is found.

I have eaten Thanksgiving dinner in Southern California, in Tennessey, and mostly in U.P. Michigan. Never have I had a savory dressing that contained any sugar. Sweetness to balance the savory herbs comes from the sliced onion in the dressing.

I have found that many Celebrity chef's amazing recipes just aren't that amazing. Maybe it's just me though.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Emeril's cookwsre is good but then it's made by All Clad. I only use All Clad or cast iron.

As far a stuffing/dressing is concerned I never use sugar (eeek) and very little salt. I cut back salt in everything.

I'm trying to figure out where it is she uses sugar in her dressing? The only thing I can figure out is when she uses some sugar for preparing the apples to go into the dressing. I personally like fruit in my dressing, but I wouldn't call it sweet.

I'm trying to figure out where it is she uses sugar in her dressing? The only thing I can figure out is when she uses some sugar for preparing the apples to go into the dressing. I personally like fruit in my dressing, but I wouldn't call it sweet.

That's what I thought. She has three different dressing/stuffing recipes on her Favorite Thanksgiving Recipes page and that's the only one that has sugar.

I too really enjoyed PW's blog before she became famous. I don't watch her shows on food network anymore and agree with Kay about the constant fake 'smile' - and to add to that, her annoying nasal voice. LOL. I do have to hand it to her, she somehow turned a blog about a ranch family into a multimillion dollar empire. I've gotten some ideas from a few of her recipes, but tweaked them a little. :)

I sure wouldn't mind having her ranch home, though. :D

Last episode we watched, she cooked a picnic meal for her daughter and 2 little kids that her daughter was babysitting. She piled the huge basket/meal into her Chevy Suburban and drove it out and dropped it off in the middle of a field atop a blanket.

Her smile was so fierce that I think her face was tired, so half of her smile was drooping.

I've never seen Pioneer Woman. Right now I'm following the Chef John blogs. I don't think it's because the food is so great (a lot is, though LOL), but I'm a very visual person and I have an incredibly difficult time following written directions. Being able to see a video on how things should be made is like getting a birthday present every day of the year. If I were to depend on just written recipes, I wouldn't be cooking very well right now at all.

Anyway, I was going to say, I think Chef John uses All Clad and also some enamel and Teflon pans. Before I stumbled on my copper cookware, I was going to get a Kirkland set, and I think that would have worked just fine. Me using All Clad would sort of be like me getting a Porsche so I could use it to sit in traffic jams all day. I don't think I could do All Clad cookware justice, at least not yet.

I can't say anything about stuffing in or out of turkey, though, because I've never made a turkey.

Oh, har har. :LOL:

OK, I haven't cooked one either. I did make a turkey once now that I think about it. It was a Thanksgiving decoration and we made them in first grade. My mom couldn't wait to throw it out, it was that good. :ROFLMAO:

You are one up on me. The only things I make on a regular basis are mistakes. Never made a misterstake. Ok, I'll stop now. I'm beginning to sound like my 4 year old granddaughter.

I was on the phone with her this morning and she sang twinkle, twinkle little star for me. So I asked her if she had heard the other version - Twinkle, twinkle little skunk, you are such a smelly punk. She thought that was hilarious and proceeded to create her own alternate versions over the phone. Some were funny, some were from the mind of a very silly, and lovable 4 year old. Gotta love the granddaughters. Just can't help myself.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I suppose I could say that I've trained a turkey. He was supposed to be a Doberman, but given that breed's propensity for hardheadedness.....anyway, we had a poster we put up at Obedience training class. It said:"It is difficult to soar with eagles when you work with turkeys."

Maybe I better quit too. LOL

Caught a clip of the Pioneer Woman making "smash burgers". She made rounded meatballs of the hamburger, then she placed each one on a sizzling flat grille. Then she took a flat spatula and pressed down on it flattening it to like half an inch and then she seasoned it. The burgers sort of looked like what you'd get at Steak N' Shake.

I guess the conventional wisdom is to not press down on a burger while it's cooking; but she was sort of forming it on the grill as soon as she put it on the grill, so moisture loss is probably less. Instead of forming it by hand and then slapping it on the grill.

I need to get a meat grinder. On that annoying guy's show (Guy Fieri) yesterday he went to a diner. The chef had some beautiful pieces of steak that he placed in a large bowl and seasoned it with garlic, spices, salt, pepper, etc.. Then he poured it all into a meat grinder and made his own hamburger. Then he used a patty former thingy (has a handle) and pressed out perfect patties. Then he cooked one on the grill. He threw some water around it for steam and put a lid on it. It was served with a fresh made salsa/relish thing. Looked awesome.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom