"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 02-10-2016, 02:46 PM   #21
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_1138 View Post
I don't think The Pioneer Woman represents the average North American cook at all. Perhaps a subset of southern cooking? A lot of her stuff has way too much butter, sugar, fat.
I followed her on twitter before she became famous. I think she's a bit full of herself but congratulate her on taking an idea and making it work.

The men and women she feeds on a ranch need the calories but a regular man like me would soon be more overweight than I already am.

Old 02-10-2016, 03:31 PM   #22
Master Chef

I just loved her blog before she became famous and a star. She seemed so genuine to me back then. Now she has that ridiculous constant smile on her face and she seems anything but genuine. I think Ina Garten does a better job of representing American home cooks myself.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 03:56 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

My DH can't stand PW. I don't mind her, but also prefer Ina.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:59 PM   #24
Executive Chef

If you think Pioneer Woman uses a lot of sugar, you should see how much salt Ina Garten uses.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:02 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I just loved her blog before she became famous and a star. She seemed so genuine to me back then. Now she has that ridiculous constant smile on her face and she seems anything but genuine. I think Ina Garten does a better job of representing American home cooks myself.
I think of her as the only woman I know who doesn’t have a resting b**** face
Old 02-10-2016, 05:20 PM   #26
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Pioneer Woman is

... not the person posting on her blog any longer, at least that's MY opinion.

I too followed her blog prior to being picked up by Food Network.
And NOW she's (pioneer Women that is, not the person Ree Drummond)
a BRAND for crying out loud!

I was foolish enough to ask Santa Claus for some of her new line at Walmart,
very, very, VERY cheap quality!
And here, I had sworn to myself that I would never, ever buy any TV Chef/cook's product again!

GEEZ! Here I have a food blog too, how do I get on that gravy train?
Old 02-10-2016, 07:34 PM   #27
Proud American

Uuuuuuuccckkkkkkkkk! Nononononono! Sugar in the stuffing? I must look of this! Aunty Stela and Mamma Belle would both fall out of their wheelchairs of this idea!

I shall not speak of this to Mamma or Laki. They would be very quick of the rolling pin upon my head!

I just told Joyce of this! She clasped her chest and staggered about, making gagging noises, ha!

No sugar in the stuffing!

Love,
~Cat
Old 02-10-2016, 07:50 PM   #28
Master Chef

I too really enjoyed PW's blog before she became famous. I don't watch her shows on food network anymore and agree with Kay about the constant fake 'smile' - and to add to that, her annoying nasal voice. LOL. I do have to hand it to her, she somehow turned a blog about a ranch family into a multimillion dollar empire. I've gotten some ideas from a few of her recipes, but tweaked them a little.

I sure wouldn't mind having her ranch home, though.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:04 PM   #29
Master Chef

Fro our Thanksgiving meal, only the seabreeze salad (lime Jello with cream cheese and walnuts blended in) and my rutabagas have any sugar. The Jello is sweetened at the factory, and I add just a little brown sugar to the rutabaga, along with butter, then mash them. I serve a relish tray with both black and green olives, smashed spuds, sweet potatoes (no sugar added), a savory sage & giblet bread dressing, roast or smoked whole turkey, pre carved before bringing it to the table, and various beverages (mainly milk at out home), and home-made cranberry sauce (yes I use sweetener there). Deserts are where the sugar is found.

I have eaten Thanksgiving dinner in Southern California, in Tennessey, and mostly in U.P. Michigan. Never have I had a savory dressing that contained any sugar. Sweetness to balance the savory herbs comes from the sliced onion in the dressing.

I have found that many Celebrity chef's amazing recipes just aren't that amazing. Maybe it's just me though.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 04:47 PM   #30
Senior Cook

Emeril's cookwsre is good but then it's made by All Clad. I only use All Clad or cast iron.

As far a stuffing/dressing is concerned I never use sugar (eeek) and very little salt. I cut back salt in everything.