"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 02-11-2016, 05:16 PM   #31
Master Chef

I'm trying to figure out where it is she uses sugar in her dressing? The only thing I can figure out is when she uses some sugar for preparing the apples to go into the dressing. I personally like fruit in my dressing, but I wouldn't call it sweet.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:54 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I'm trying to figure out where it is she uses sugar in her dressing? The only thing I can figure out is when she uses some sugar for preparing the apples to go into the dressing. I personally like fruit in my dressing, but I wouldn't call it sweet.
That's what I thought. She has three different dressing/stuffing recipes on her Favorite Thanksgiving Recipes page and that's the only one that has sugar.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:53 PM   #33
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I too really enjoyed PW's blog before she became famous. I don't watch her shows on food network anymore and agree with Kay about the constant fake 'smile' - and to add to that, her annoying nasal voice. LOL. I do have to hand it to her, she somehow turned a blog about a ranch family into a multimillion dollar empire. I've gotten some ideas from a few of her recipes, but tweaked them a little.

I sure wouldn't mind having her ranch home, though.
Last episode we watched, she cooked a picnic meal for her daughter and 2 little kids that her daughter was babysitting. She piled the huge basket/meal into her Chevy Suburban and drove it out and dropped it off in the middle of a field atop a blanket.

Her smile was so fierce that I think her face was tired, so half of her smile was drooping.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:44 PM   #34
Sous Chef

I've never seen Pioneer Woman. Right now I'm following the Chef John blogs. I don't think it's because the food is so great (a lot is, though LOL), but I'm a very visual person and I have an incredibly difficult time following written directions. Being able to see a video on how things should be made is like getting a birthday present every day of the year. If I were to depend on just written recipes, I wouldn't be cooking very well right now at all.

Anyway, I was going to say, I think Chef John uses All Clad and also some enamel and Teflon pans. Before I stumbled on my copper cookware, I was going to get a Kirkland set, and I think that would have worked just fine. Me using All Clad would sort of be like me getting a Porsche so I could use it to sit in traffic jams all day. I don't think I could do All Clad cookware justice, at least not yet.

I can't say anything about stuffing in or out of turkey, though, because I've never made a turkey.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:37 AM   #35
Head Chef

I wouldn't want sugar in my stuffing or dressing..... That doesn't sound appetizing.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
Old 02-13-2016, 01:08 PM   #36
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
...I can't say anything about stuffing in or out of turkey, though, because I've never made a turkey.
I've never made a turkey either, though I've cooked many of them.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 12:10 AM   #37
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I've never made a turkey either, though I've cooked many of them.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Oh, har har.

OK, I haven't cooked one either. I did make a turkey once now that I think about it. It was a Thanksgiving decoration and we made them in first grade. My mom couldn't wait to throw it out, it was that good.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:41 PM   #38
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Oh, har har.

OK, I haven't cooked one either. I did make a turkey once now that I think about it. It was a Thanksgiving decoration and we made them in first grade. My mom couldn't wait to throw it out, it was that good.
You are one up on me. The only things I make on a regular basis are mistakes. Never made a misterstake. Ok, I'll stop now. I'm beginning to sound like my 4 year old granddaughter.

I was on the phone with her this morning and she sang twinkle, twinkle little star for me. So I asked her if she had heard the other version - Twinkle, twinkle little skunk, you are such a smelly punk. She thought that was hilarious and proceeded to create her own alternate versions over the phone. Some were funny, some were from the mind of a very silly, and lovable 4 year old. Gotta love the granddaughters. Just can't help myself.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 02:31 AM   #39
Sous Chef

I suppose I could say that I've trained a turkey. He was supposed to be a Doberman, but given that breed's propensity for hardheadedness.....anyway, we had a poster we put up at Obedience training class. It said:"It is difficult to soar with eagles when you work with turkeys."

Maybe I better quit too. LOL
Old 02-18-2016, 03:49 PM   #40
Senior Cook

Caught a clip of the Pioneer Woman making "smash burgers". She made rounded meatballs of the hamburger, then she placed each one on a sizzling flat grille. Then she took a flat spatula and pressed down on it flattening it to like half an inch and then she seasoned it. The burgers sort of looked like what you'd get at Steak N' Shake.

I guess the conventional wisdom is to not press down on a burger while it's cooking; but she was sort of forming it on the grill as soon as she put it on the grill, so moisture loss is probably less. Instead of forming it by hand and then slapping it on the grill.

I need to get a meat grinder. On that annoying guy's show (Guy Fieri) yesterday he went to a diner. The chef had some beautiful pieces of steak that he placed in a large bowl and seasoned it with garlic, spices, salt, pepper, etc.. Then he poured it all into a meat grinder and made his own hamburger. Then he used a patty former thingy (has a handle) and pressed out perfect patties. Then he cooked one on the grill. He threw some water around it for steam and put a lid on it. It was served with a fresh made salsa/relish thing. Looked awesome.