"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 01-28-2010, 02:12 PM   #21
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Not so long ago I saw her on Iron Chef cooking with Mario Battali they were pitted against Giada and Bobby Flay,,They won and she said she was surprised and pleased because she was not a chef Mario said to her YES you are.

kadesma
I LOVED that episode (but I just love Mario Batali to bits!) and just thoroughly enjoyed the repartee that went on. Mario and Rachel seemed to be having fun even though they were working their butts off. Poor Giada got in such a dither when whatever it was didn't set up properly for her.

I think the reason Rachel Ray appeals to many folks is because she is accessible. She is like one of us. I watch folks like Mario Batali in awe because he is so amazing. Rachel Ray though, I could imagine the two of us slamming together a meal for our families and having a few giggles in the kitchen together.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:33 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
I LOVED that episode (but I just love Mario Batali to bits!) and just thoroughly enjoyed the repartee that went on. Mario and Rachel seemed to be having fun even though they were working their butts off. Poor Giada got in such a dither when whatever it was didn't set up properly for her.

I think the reason Rachel Ray appeals to many folks is because she is accessible. She is like one of us. I watch folks like Mario Batali in awe because he is so amazing. Rachel Ray though, I could imagine the two of us slamming together a meal for our families and having a few giggles in the kitchen together.
That's how I feel as well. She just grew on me.
kadesma

Old 01-28-2010, 07:00 PM   #23
Master Chef

I'm not proffesionally trained, but in my kitchen, in my house, or when I'm preparing the chili for my entry in our annual chili cookoff, I'm the chef, because chef means chief of the kitchen. She might not be the chef of a proffesional restaurant, but then, that takes training well beyond what most of us here do. You have to be able to purchase large amounts of food, assign duties to your working staff, manage the dishwashers, the sous chefs, the wait staff, order supplies, make sure that the food is kept wholesome, tasty, and that it looks right. I am a pretty good cook, and am chef of my home kitchen. It would take formal training, and probably a year or more of it to to make me a proffesional chef. Ive got the math and cooking skills, but probably not the organizational skills for the job. I wouldn't want to be a chef. That's not the part of cullinary arts I'm interested in. But it doesn't detract from what I can do in the kitchen. And so it is with Rachel Ray.

She's a sometimes too bubbly personality who has to force it a bit due to telivision's unique quirks. but I think she does a pretty good job at what she does. And I think her food looks very edible. She's probably a better cook than most of the "chef's" in my home town. The restaurant fare around here is deplorable, with a few notable exceptions. I'd eat the food she cooks, and have fun making it with her. That's my opinion. I'd love to do a throwdown against Bobby Flay as well, with a few helpers to assits in food prep. It would be great fun. I think I could teach him a few tricks. I know he could teach me a whole bunch of new tricks. Same with Rachel Ray.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:48 AM   #24
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Rachel Ray though, I could imagine the two of us slamming together a meal for our families and having a few giggles in the kitchen together.
Exactly why I like her. I feel like I could invite her to my kitchen for food and a chat and have a great time.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:31 AM   #25
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
I'd love to do a throwdown against Bobby Flay as well, with a few helpers to assits in food prep.
I'll volunteer for food prep helper!
Old 01-29-2010, 02:45 PM   #26
Senior Cook

she's better off just cooking
Old 02-18-2011, 08:18 AM   #27
Senior Cook

I like Rachel. But, her type of cooking is too quick for me. I preferred her show where she traveled and ate on a budget for the day. That- was fun. She doesn't bake and to me- how can you be a cook and not bake?
Old 02-18-2011, 08:21 AM   #28
Senior Cook

A while back, I had read that Rachel's Dad held a grudge against Mario. Since, Mario did not consider Racher a true cook. I suppose they are past that- since, they are both so famous. (I am amused by Bourdain's take on Rachel Ray.) He's a real card.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:02 AM   #29
Sous Chef

I view her as I do Martha Stewart - business women that are excellent at their craft. She is certainly a degree above Sandra Lee (who I think may just be the daughter of Lucifer), but I really find her personality grating and cooking less than inspiring. The cooks I watch don't need to be trained chefs, but everything about her cooking seems like a gimmick to me. From the over-bearing shadow of everything needing to be a "30 Minute Meal" (most of which aren't - unless you're a chef!) to the garbage bowl, slogans, and dialog that hops from supposed "green" ideas (as she opens bag-o-lettuce and styrofoam/plastic packaged meat) to butchered culturally important dishes with claims of near-authenticity. When she started her talk-show, I personally got a feeling of self-righteousness when listening to her interact with guests. Just personal opinion.

Anthony Bourdain at the Hominy Grill...
"I was looking at the totals - you know, $40 a day... and she was averaging... you know... and I'm doing the math... does this woman tip?

Waitress...
Ahhh... no comment. *rolling eyes*

Hahaha!
Old 02-18-2011, 09:02 AM   #30
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican mama View Post
I grew up in Asia but Im half American..ive noticed that American servings/portions are big compared to Asia and some areas of Europe...I think Rachel ray's food is meant to be shared or more focused on the family eating together,..does this make sense :)

I think you are right about this. I have heard people from other countries say things like "He's not just fat, he's American fat." I think part of that is the riduculous expectations people get from overly large portion sizes depicted on TV and in Ads. We just plain overeat.

Tags
control, portion, rachel, ray