"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 02-18-2011, 09:03 AM   #31
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
She doesn't bake and to me - how can you be a cook and not bake?
Very easily. I love to cook. I make bread at least once a week. I make cookies for the holidays and every couple of months will make something sweet. "Baking" just doesn't do much for me. Besides that it's just not something that I need to eat. And I don't crave it when it's not here so I don't bother often.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:08 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
I like Rachel. But, her type of cooking is too quick for me. I preferred her show where she traveled and ate on a budget for the day. That- was fun. She doesn't bake and to me- how can you be a cook and not bake?
Funny, but that's the show I hate. I live comfortably on less than $25 a day including everything (rent, utilities, as well as food, etc.), so a daytime show showing her spending $40 just on food is upsetting for me. Think about the audience in the daytime. The majority would be retired people like me or people who are job hunting (unemployed) or disabled on SSI.

I wish I had $40 a day. I'd be living large!

That said, I do like her show if she's making something I might like, but occasionally her voice irritates or it's early and too chatty and cheerful for me until I've had some coffee and something to eat. Closed Captioning solves that.

I'm a good cook but I rarely bake. Some people bake and are poor cooks. You don't have to be both and many aren't.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:15 AM   #33
Senior Cook

I totally agree about Rachel Rays slogans and gimmics. I dont have anything against her not being a trained chef. But, the ingredients are not far from Sandra Lee's. (I share your opinion of her..yuk!) She made millions of dollars on creating a fabric window vallance that snaps in) and, wala-she has a cooking show. Martha Stewart is entertaining in her own way. Of course, the business sense of a Trump. Have to give that to her.
Rachel Ray never tipped much on that show. I enjoyed seeing restaurants I had eaten at, when she did that but she's very one-dimensional and yes her talk show- please.....
Old 02-18-2011, 09:18 AM   #34
Senior Cook

I know that we all don't bake on a regular basis. (I do) But, Rachel Ray stated from the beginning, "I don't bake." Thats very one-dimensional to me. No cookies, no muffins, etc. She has said she just "isn't good at it." But, she's not specialized enough for me in her overall cooking themes and recipes. She's airbrushed on the side of Ritz cracker box, making her look quite a bit thinner. That type of thing takes away from everything for me. Be natural, be yourself.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:21 AM   #35
Senior Cook

I agree that eating on $40.00 may be extravagent but I enjoyed the travel portion of the show. I do love to cook and bake and give it away to people who can't or do not have the means. Thats the part I enjoy.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:22 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
I totally agree about Rachel Rays slogans and gimmics. I dont have anything against her not being a trained chef. But, the ingredients are not far from Sandra Lee's. (I share your opinion of her..yuk!) She made millions of dollars on creating a fabric window vallance that snaps in) and, wala-she has a cooking show. Martha Stewart is entertaining in her own way. Of course, the business sense of a Trump. Have to give that to her.
Rachel Ray never tipped much on that show. I enjoyed seeing restaurants I had eaten at, when she did that but she's very one-dimensional and yes her talk show- please.....
I agree: EVOO and stoup? Stoup sounds too much like poop and isn't an appetizing word. I won't use it, EVER.

E-V-O-O would be so much better pronounced e-voo or just call it olive oil. It got added to the dictionary though, so she's getting carried away.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:39 AM   #37
Senior Cook

I, myself would not offer my family or my guests anything called "stoup." I just don't watch her anymore unless I am totally bored. She hyped her dogfood up alot and a few years ago I tried it. Wasn't as "all natural" as it was supposed to be. Made my dog sick too.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:50 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I also think that whether a dish is soup or stew is not so much the amount of liquid, but the size of the ingredients. Meat and vegetables in larger chunks are stew, smaller size is soup.IMO

Old 02-18-2011, 10:55 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I, myself would not offer my family or my guests anything called "stoup." I just don't watch her anymore unless I am totally bored. She hyped her dogfood up alot and a few years ago I tried it. Wasn't as "all natural" as it was supposed to be. Made my dog sick too.
Ah--you've answered the question: who tastes the dog food and determines that it tastes good!
Old 02-18-2011, 10:57 AM   #40
Senior Cook

ha ha. good one. I look at it. Smell it. My dog hesitated when she ate it and threw up. She was the taster.

Tags
control, portion, rachel, ray