Rachael Ray

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beccapnz

Assistant Cook
hi there, i really love rachel ray but i've become aware that her portion sizes are really big, i think this encourages over eating, anyone agree?

I grew up in Asia but Im half American..ive noticed that American servings/portions are big compared to Asia and some areas of Europe...I think Rachel ray's food is meant to be shared or more focused on the family eating together,..does this make sense :)

hey yeah, thanks for that.l agree, im very behind in her episodes due to where i live (NZ) but she cooked for children the other day and dished it up and it was very large!!! do you think her food is healthy??

RR is there to give ideas and make cooking quicker for the mom who either works or has several children, and those of us who are very busy. Her food is tasty and I think it's up to me to decide how much and if it's healthy and within my idea of healthy.
kadesma

I agree with Kadesma. Portion size is up to me. RR gives the recipes, but it is up to me to decide how much of that recipe makes it to the plate.

I have one of her cookbooks and I love it. She has relatively healthy meals which are pretty quick to cook, although I don't think any of them are really 30 minute meals.

The thing I like about Rachel is that she offers substitutions. She'll tell you if you can't get this, that will work just as well or if you don't like x, use y. There are a lot of food snobs out there who would turn their noses up at using canned goods but she makes it seem like it's okay to take some short cuts and still get a great tasting dish. I agree that I am the one to decide what a portion is for me. I'm getting used to having a lot of leftovers since I haven't quite made the shift to cooking for 2 completely.

I have one of her cookbooks and I love it. She has relatively healthy meals which are pretty quick to cook, although I don't think any of them are really 30 minute meals.

They are probably 30 minutes if all your ingredients are all right there like on the studio set and you don't have to improvise!

Exactly vagriller. If I did not have to do any prep then it would be much closer to 30 minutes (or less). Unfortunately myself, and most other people, do not have a staff to do our chopping and peeling and other prep work. Maybe her show should be called 30 minute meals if all the work is already done for you ;)

Exactly vagriller. If I did not have to do any prep then it would be much closer to 30 minutes (or less). Unfortunately myself, and most other people, do not have a staff to do our chopping and peeling and other prep work. Maybe her show should be called 30 minute meals if all the work is already done for you ;)

It's been some time since I've actually watched the show, but I seem to remember her chopping things up. But I am sure there is a lot of prep that we don't see her doing (washing veggies, staging ingedients in one place, etc). She just goes to the fridge, and then the spice rack, then to the counter. I cover much more ground when preparing a meal! Many, many laps around the kitchen for me. I do try to collect as many things at one time though like she does.

I love Rachel Ray and have all her cookbooks. However, portion control is definitely up to the diner and we Americans (in general) need to re-educate ourselves on proper portion control. A book I found helpful in understanding why we overeat and how to work our way back to healthy eating is : "The End of Overeating. Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite" by David A. Kessler, MD.

Prior to scaling back DH's and my meals, he was on the borderline of diabetes and in a few years I would be a full blown type 2, myself. With adjustments to our diet and portion size, I have managed to back us off that shaky line and we are both healthy and enjoying food like never before.

Well, since RR really doesn't know how to cook, i am not surprised she doesn't know how to portioin the foods.

She might not be a world class chef Charlie, but she is not a stupid person. She does know how to cook. She may use ingredients you would not use, but she still has created many meals and while they may not be things you will find in a 4 star restaurants they are usually great for working families looking to put a tasty filling somewhat healthy meal on the table quickly. I have no doubt that because of RR there are fewer families relying on fast food for dinner. I would say that is a pretty good thing.

Personally, I think RR is more in touch with what most people would/could cook
than most of the other shows out there.
Dunno how she does it all in 1/2 an hour, but there are VERY FEW things she does
that I wouldn't eat or wouldn't be interested in cooking.

I love RR's earlier 30-minute meals. I think she has gotten too polished in her newer ones. She not a chef, she is just a cook... which is what I always liked (that and she grew up in he same area I did). I agree she dishes up large portions, but I think a lot of the TV cooking shows do the same thing. It is up to us to decide what serving really is, but what looks better a HUGE bowl of food or a 1 1/2 cup serving size. It is TV after all and has to look appetizing for the camera.

Folks I agree, with one thing Yo like her, me i hate her. NAd it is not what she is cooking, it's her, and she is no cook, or actually cook she is, but she is no chef.

Folks I agree, with one thing Yo like her, me i hate her. NAd it is not what she is cooking, it's her, and she is no cook, or actually cook she is, but she is no chef.
She would be the first to tell you I'm not a chef, I think she just loves foods and cooking for people. Not so long ago I saw her on Iron Chef cooking with Mario Battali they were pitted against Giada and Bobby Flay,,They won and she said she was surprised and pleased because she was not a chef Mario said to her YES you are.
If you don't care for her that's ok we all have likes and dislikes. I have several who drive me round the bend..I just find something else to do when they come on.
kadesma

I agree with BabeToo. It seems to me that if you don't like a person or a TV show, or a particular movie, Don't Watch! And if the subject of that person, TV show or movie comes up, ignore it and walk away.

Generally, when someone takes the time to complain about another person in a strong way, and they don't actually know that other person, as in a TV personality, it strikes me as being akin to "bitter old lady gossip."

Rachel Ray

I like the show, as per the volume of her food, its just meant to feed the whole studio thats why I think its a lot. What I dont like about it is that sometimes she tends to overtalk and its kinda annoying. Sorry

Back
Top Bottom