"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 01-26-2010, 04:24 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Rachael Ray

hi there, i really love rachel ray but i've become aware that her portion sizes are really big, i think this encourages over eating, anyone agree?

Old 01-26-2010, 04:27 AM   #2
Senior Cook

I grew up in Asia but Im half American..ive noticed that American servings/portions are big compared to Asia and some areas of Europe...I think Rachel ray's food is meant to be shared or more focused on the family eating together,..does this make sense :)

Old 01-26-2010, 04:38 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

hey yeah, thanks for that.l agree, im very behind in her episodes due to where i live (NZ) but she cooked for children the other day and dished it up and it was very large!!! do you think her food is healthy??
Old 01-26-2010, 09:35 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

RR is there to give ideas and make cooking quicker for the mom who either works or has several children, and those of us who are very busy. Her food is tasty and I think it's up to me to decide how much and if it's healthy and within my idea of healthy.
kadesma
Old 01-26-2010, 09:40 AM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

I agree with Kadesma. Portion size is up to me. RR gives the recipes, but it is up to me to decide how much of that recipe makes it to the plate.

I have one of her cookbooks and I love it. She has relatively healthy meals which are pretty quick to cook, although I don't think any of them are really 30 minute meals.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:51 AM   #6
Master Chef

The thing I like about Rachel is that she offers substitutions. She'll tell you if you can't get this, that will work just as well or if you don't like x, use y. There are a lot of food snobs out there who would turn their noses up at using canned goods but she makes it seem like it's okay to take some short cuts and still get a great tasting dish. I agree that I am the one to decide what a portion is for me. I'm getting used to having a lot of leftovers since I haven't quite made the shift to cooking for 2 completely.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:23 AM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I have one of her cookbooks and I love it. She has relatively healthy meals which are pretty quick to cook, although I don't think any of them are really 30 minute meals.
They are probably 30 minutes if all your ingredients are all right there like on the studio set and you don't have to improvise!
Old 01-26-2010, 10:36 AM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

Exactly vagriller. If I did not have to do any prep then it would be much closer to 30 minutes (or less). Unfortunately myself, and most other people, do not have a staff to do our chopping and peeling and other prep work. Maybe her show should be called 30 minute meals if all the work is already done for you
Old 01-26-2010, 11:05 AM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Exactly vagriller. If I did not have to do any prep then it would be much closer to 30 minutes (or less). Unfortunately myself, and most other people, do not have a staff to do our chopping and peeling and other prep work. Maybe her show should be called 30 minute meals if all the work is already done for you
It's been some time since I've actually watched the show, but I seem to remember her chopping things up. But I am sure there is a lot of prep that we don't see her doing (washing veggies, staging ingedients in one place, etc). She just goes to the fridge, and then the spice rack, then to the counter. I cover much more ground when preparing a meal! Many, many laps around the kitchen for me. I do try to collect as many things at one time though like she does.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:05 AM   #10
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I love Rachel Ray and have all her cookbooks. However, portion control is definitely up to the diner and we Americans (in general) need to re-educate ourselves on proper portion control. A book I found helpful in understanding why we overeat and how to work our way back to healthy eating is : "The End of Overeating. Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite" by David A. Kessler, MD.

Prior to scaling back DH's and my meals, he was on the borderline of diabetes and in a few years I would be a full blown type 2, myself. With adjustments to our diet and portion size, I have managed to back us off that shaky line and we are both healthy and enjoying food like never before.

Tags
control, portion, rachel, ray