Sandra Lee's New FoodNetwork Show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I consider myself a pretty hard-core foodie. In that respect I can watch any show and learn something new or get a new idea.

I love to watch ANYTHING food-related :LOL:. If a personality doesn't agree with me I simply turn the channel...I don't let them ruin my day and get all bent out of shape about them.

I couldn't agree more. Frankly if you don't watch an entire network because you feel it beneath you, you're immediately limiting yourself with a closed mind, not something most Foodies do. The Foodies I've met seem to be the exact opposite, open to just about anything.

I strongly disagree. If that was true, people like RR wouldn't be alowed to come anywhere close to network. Or many other shows that are there strictly for intertainment purposes. There are some true cooking shows during the day, but I work during that time and know nothing abouyt them. The prime time devoted to impress people who have no clue about cooking and eat out most of thetime.

If shows like 30 minute meals are just for "entertainment" purposes...then shouldnt there be a few car explosions and gunfights! because thats what I call entertaining. Food network is not so much entertaining as it is study time. Even if its just watching Giada or Racheal I watch it all because you never know when someone might through out a good idea.

I couldn't agree more. Frankly if you don't watch an entire network because you feel it beneath you, you're immediately limiting yourself with a closed mind, not something most Foodies do. The Foodies I've met seem to be the exact opposite, open to just about anything.

Well call me close minded. But this is a cooking forum and if people dont get to vent about shows they do not like here...then where? Im very happy we even have shows like this on television but at the same time people are always gonna complain. And im one of those people. Done deal

What RR does, and again, along with MANY other TV cooking personalities, is show those that are a bit afraid to cook, or think they can't cook, that it IS possible to cook and they show how easy it is. THAT, IMHO, is the target audience...those that are insecure. I consider myself a pretty hard-core foodie. In that respect I can watch any show and learn something new or get a new idea.

I think that was the thought behind the first cooking shows on TV way back when Ms. Child first started out on the airways. She wanted to show that cooking didn't have to be this big mystery. That it's not all that complex and anyone can do it.
And she was right, they can.

Well call me close minded. But this is a cooking forum and if people dont get to vent about shows they do not like here...then where? Im very happy we even have shows like this on television but at the same time people are always gonna complain. And im one of those people. Done deal

You're welcome to express your opinion. However, you have to accept the fact that not everyone agrees with you and they get to express their opinions as well.

You're welcome to express your opinion. However, you have to accept the fact that not everyone agrees with you and they get to express their opinions as well.

I totally respect that! I just thought we were getting into a fun heated debate here! I looked forward to coming back to this all day at work haha.

I totally respect that! I just thought we were getting into a fun heated debate here! I looked forward to coming back to this all day at work haha.

No problem. In the past there has been a lot of personal TV host bashing here and we do not allow that. A respectful discussion of differing opinions is always OK.

Sounds like I'd enjoy Canadian FoodTV more than the US version.

appleyard, we tend to be a bit nervous about "heated debates" especially with regard to any FN stuff. When the FN message boards closed (due to some nasty heated debate) those folks migrated here. So...when things get heated around FN stuff those threads tend to get yanked pretty fast. Just an FYI.

Andy, you would, its great. Much better than the US version.

appleyard, we tend to be a bit nervous about "heated debates" especially with regard to any FN stuff. When the FN message boards closed (due to some nasty heated debate) those folks migrated here. So...when things get heated around FN stuff those threads tend to get yanked pretty fast. Just an FYI.

Andy, you would, its great. Much better than the US version.

Y'all cant be too bad, you live in my favorite hockey team's home town, go Oilers!

Ok didnt mean to bash, just a poor atempt at constructive critcism. Oilers? Ha, my oilers blanket I used to keep hung up is now keeping my litter box from sliding. Thanks for the tip Alix.

If you can say that after THIS season you are a diehard fan for sure.

LOL, actually I misstated, they are my 2nd favorite team. They were my 1st until my hometown of Columbus Ohio formed the Bluejackets a few years back ... then they took to the sideburner. I grew up idolizing Gretzky and when I was a teenager, I used to play Wing against the Ohio State Buckeyes during inter mural and practice games. I had all of the Great One's equipment, I warped my own Titan 2020 stick like his and everything :LOL:

I used to watch her religiously, but then it hit me, she uses tons of processed foods. And that is something that we are eliminating from our diet (and not doing so bad, I might add).

I know her plan of action may work for the SAD (Standard American Diet), but not in this household. But we do appreciate her enthusiasm none the less.

I just watched a few segments of her show this morning while clicking through commercials. Her emphasis was on eggs. She was preparing a weird bread pudding with sausage and mushrooms and mentioned that pre-sliced mushrooms cost the same as whole fresh ones. Not true - where I shop at - Winco, they are at least double per pound.
She later dipped these baked puddings in more eggs and proceeded to burn them in a frying pan. Close ups of burned food, yum.

I just watched a few segments of her show this morning while clicking through commercials. Her emphasis was on eggs. She was preparing a weird bread pudding with sausage and mushrooms and mentioned that pre-sliced mushrooms cost the same as whole fresh ones. Not true - where I shop at - Winco, they are at least double per pound.
She later dipped these baked puddings in more eggs and proceeded to burn them in a frying pan. Close ups of burned food, yum.

It may not be true where you shop, but it's true around here. I can purchase the same weight of pre-sliced white button or cremini mushrooms for the exact same price (& weight) of whole ones. And if I know I'm going to be using those pre-sliced mushrooms the same day or next & am going to be short for time for dinner, I frequently go that route.

(((((Applause)))))

I could only stand to watch one episode of the newest Craptastic Half Hour of Food Destruction.

Lee is fond of making "untrue food declarations" like the one about sliced mushrooms. Let me tell you where sliced mushrooms originate, Sandra. They are what's left after an employee of either the supermarket or the mushroom grower cuts off the ROTTEN pieces of mushrooms that were likely returned when they went past their date. So let's review. You're paying MORE for shrooms that are likely OLDER than the fresh, whole ones.

If Sandra wants a bargain on mushrooms, she should go to Costco where she can procure a large box of gorgeous WHOLE cremini mushrooms for a song. I'm sure she MUST have a membership or she can't buy cases of cake mix for cheap. I don't think she does much shopping in the regular GROSHERY store, anyway.

Thanks for your observations - you're braver than I. No more "Cheap Junk Meals by a Non-Chef" for me. I only did one ep and that's likely all I'll do.

I did catch Anne Burrell doing her "little plates." OMG, I wanted to jump through the TV, everything looked so good.

If you like, friend me on FB - just search on "chiffonade."

Last edited by a moderator:
Lee is fond of making "untrue food declarations" like the one about sliced mushrooms. Let me tell you where sliced mushrooms originate, Sandra. They are what's left after an employee of either the supermarket or the mushroom grower cuts off the ROTTEN pieces of mushrooms that were likely returned when they went past their date. So let's review. You're paying MORE for shrooms that are likely OLDER than the fresh, whole ones.

I think you're shopping at the wrong stores. My presliced that I buy are nothing like this at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm with apple.
it's my opinion thier target audience is cooking junkies.

This was the "veil" under which TVFN first chose to present itself. Foodies united, supported the network and watched it faithfully. Then, the network execs thought real cooks and foodies were not NEARLY enough (i.e. they got greedy). Instead of trying to convert non-cooks with easy, good stuff, they offered up the painted pony and her like - a bunch of talking heads full of gimmicks.

To be honest, non-cooks have lots of options. Rachael Ray is NOT the worst cook on the planet. Her food is approachable and mostly real. My mother loved RR - but she was 77 and cooked her share of banquets. My mother had nothing to prove so to do some of the RR food for just herself was fine - and my mother cooked for herself until 3 days before she died.

The 5 Ingredient Girl does a great show and you don't have to be a hard-core chef (professional OR self-proclaimed) to follow along with her. Robin Quick Fix's eyes just freak me out too much to watch her but as long as she stays away from instacrap, she's safe.

TVFN did what the corporate minds wanted it to do - abandon the very audience that made the network possible for Mr. and Ms. Imnottacook. Why? I don't watch the fishing channel because I don't fish. Why abandon your core audience to attract people who really are only marginally interested in your media product??

Thank God for PBS.

Back
Top Bottom