"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 05-12-2009, 01:41 PM   #41
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
I consider myself a pretty hard-core foodie. In that respect I can watch any show and learn something new or get a new idea.

I love to watch ANYTHING food-related . If a personality doesn't agree with me I simply turn the channel...I don't let them ruin my day and get all bent out of shape about them.
I couldn't agree more. Frankly if you don't watch an entire network because you feel it beneath you, you're immediately limiting yourself with a closed mind, not something most Foodies do. The Foodies I've met seem to be the exact opposite, open to just about anything.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:34 PM   #42
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I strongly disagree. If that was true, people like RR wouldn't be alowed to come anywhere close to network. Or many other shows that are there strictly for intertainment purposes. There are some true cooking shows during the day, but I work during that time and know nothing abouyt them. The prime time devoted to impress people who have no clue about cooking and eat out most of thetime.
If shows like 30 minute meals are just for "entertainment" purposes...then shouldnt there be a few car explosions and gunfights! because thats what I call entertaining. Food network is not so much entertaining as it is study time. Even if its just watching Giada or Racheal I watch it all because you never know when someone might through out a good idea.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:37 PM   #43
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefallin1309 View Post
I couldn't agree more. Frankly if you don't watch an entire network because you feel it beneath you, you're immediately limiting yourself with a closed mind, not something most Foodies do. The Foodies I've met seem to be the exact opposite, open to just about anything.
Well call me close minded. But this is a cooking forum and if people dont get to vent about shows they do not like here...then where? Im very happy we even have shows like this on television but at the same time people are always gonna complain. And im one of those people. Done deal
Old 05-12-2009, 03:06 PM   #44
Sous Chef

Quote:
What RR does, and again, along with MANY other TV cooking personalities, is show those that are a bit afraid to cook, or think they can't cook, that it IS possible to cook and they show how easy it is. THAT, IMHO, is the target audience...those that are insecure. I consider myself a pretty hard-core foodie. In that respect I can watch any show and learn something new or get a new idea.
I think that was the thought behind the first cooking shows on TV way back when Ms. Child first started out on the airways. She wanted to show that cooking didn't have to be this big mystery. That it's not all that complex and anyone can do it.
And she was right, they can.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:03 PM   #45
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleyard14 View Post
Well call me close minded. But this is a cooking forum and if people dont get to vent about shows they do not like here...then where? Im very happy we even have shows like this on television but at the same time people are always gonna complain. And im one of those people. Done deal

You're welcome to express your opinion. However, you have to accept the fact that not everyone agrees with you and they get to express their opinions as well.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:56 AM   #46
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
You're welcome to express your opinion. However, you have to accept the fact that not everyone agrees with you and they get to express their opinions as well.
I totally respect that! I just thought we were getting into a fun heated debate here! I looked forward to coming back to this all day at work haha.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:56 AM   #47
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
I totally respect that! I just thought we were getting into a fun heated debate here! I looked forward to coming back to this all day at work haha.

No problem. In the past there has been a lot of personal TV host bashing here and we do not allow that. A respectful discussion of differing opinions is always OK.

Sounds like I'd enjoy Canadian FoodTV more than the US version.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:00 AM   #48
Everymom

Quote:
appleyard, we tend to be a bit nervous about "heated debates" especially with regard to any FN stuff. When the FN message boards closed (due to some nasty heated debate) those folks migrated here. So...when things get heated around FN stuff those threads tend to get yanked pretty fast. Just an FYI.

Andy, you would, its great. Much better than the US version.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:10 PM   #49
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
appleyard, we tend to be a bit nervous about "heated debates" especially with regard to any FN stuff. When the FN message boards closed (due to some nasty heated debate) those folks migrated here. So...when things get heated around FN stuff those threads tend to get yanked pretty fast. Just an FYI.

Andy, you would, its great. Much better than the US version.

Y'all cant be too bad, you live in my favorite hockey team's home town, go Oilers!
Old 05-13-2009, 01:34 PM   #50
Everymom

If you can say that after THIS season you are a diehard fan for sure.