"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 03-10-2012, 06:20 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

That picture turns my stomach. I would remove the bacon and have maybe only one slice, a thin spread of mayo on only one slice of bread, and definitely a much thinner bread. Those slices are too thick for me. And they would have to be whole grain. I don't like white bread. On second thought I think I would like to have a meatloaf dinner.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:03 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I'm only in my 30's but I remember at McDonalds, a small beverage today was a large back then. A small fry came in the little paper pocket, now that's considered a child size, and a small more resembles a medium or large fry of my youth.

I wish more restaurants would offer smaller versions of their entrees. There must not be much of a market for this. Only one place that I go will let me order a lunch portion at dinner. I'm OK with one large pork chop instead of two, and there is no way that I can eat 2 chicken cordon bleu any more (I used to stuff them both down.)

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:06 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

I order from the children's menu. And if they give me a hard time, I order a glass or water or cup of coffee. They don't want a customer sitting there drinking just water, while everyone else is eating. I usually get my way. And I have noticed that a lot of restaurants in my area now have senior menus with a lower price. I get overwhelmed when there is too much food on my plate. I have had the waitperson take my dish away even before they set it down. I tell them to have the kitchen take half the food off the plate and put the remaining on a smaller plate. I am one of those persons you don't want to take out to eat. I am a constant source of embarrassment.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:09 AM   #14
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I'm pretty sure that Coca Cola used to come in 6 or 6.5 ounce bottles. Remember back in the 50's when the "other" soft drink was 7 Up. They called it Seven Up because it came in a seven ounce bottle and the name was pointing out that it was a bigger serving.
Back in the late 30s / early 40's Pepsi introduced the larger drink... "Pepsi Cola hits the spot / twelve full ounces, that's a lot / twice as much for a nickle, too / Pepsi cola is the drink for you!"

I don't know if you can pinpoint any one thing, but over the last 40 years there have been a lot of changes. I remember back in the 60s/70s growing up (born in 63) and soda was a summer weekend / holiday / eating out treat and it was water, juice, milk, or cool-aid that we drank most of the time. Then there was 2 liter bottles of soda for 79 cents. HOW CHEAP!!! I remember Mom starting to use instant potatoes, boxed soup mixes (anyone remember Mrs. Grass?? ), minute rice, Hungry Man Dinners.

We also were outside all the time, winter nights indoors yes, but I was always out playing, no sitting and watching tv, playing video games or being on the computer. Many people did more physical labor for work, factories, sweat shops, farming. We started moving from push mowers and rakes to power and riding mowers and leaf blowers, more labor saving devices. We became more suburban. I remember we walked or rode bikes everywhere, even through high school.

Add that to companies / fast food / restaurants all wanting a bigger share of the market and bigger profits so there are more choices and more advertising making us think we need/want/gotta have/ gotta try all the new products. Money gets tight and we look for a better deal (super-size/biggie-size/giant-size for 50-cents more, endless fries/pasta/salad) bigger portions for your money. And it costs those places pennies to do that really. And all that fat and sugar and salt really does taste good.

I also think we don't say NO to ourselves enough (I know I don't) when it comes to snacking, fast food, desserts.

Stepping down now

Side note - there was an article I read a few year ago that talked about the premise that when we eat high fat / high salt foods our body then later will start to crave sweet / sugary foods and vise versa. So restaurants server high salt/fat appetizers that then make you crave sugary sweet desserts.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:14 AM   #15
Head Chef

Get off that soap box and make room for someone else.

The notion that this was all forced on people by evil food corporations or some other external force makes popular press, because it blames someone else. You can't be manipulated into instant gratification unless you desire instant gratification to the point of loss of judgment. Humans do and have always craved sweets. That's not a learned taste, like salt. It's innate. And humans are now and have always been programmed to go for fats. They keep you alive in the cold world. Folks in many situations had diets heavy in fat and salt. It was often a reality of frontier or seafaring life. While they may have suffered from a lack elements in their diet, they didn't get fat or diabetic from their diet.

What makes people susceptible to the bad effects of fats and sugar is the combination of the lack of physical activity and the habit of satisfying every urge. When you add in the availability that marketers quite naturally create to meet demand, you get the effects. Want continual entertainment without effort? Sit at the TV or sit and stream video. Or sit and text inanely with other twits. Got a vague food urge? We now have a specific product to satisfy any urge you might have and to help guide you to an urge, in case you don't have one. Want instant success and affluence guaranteed by college? Want college guaranteed with someone else paying the bill? Want personal security without have to bother to do anything for yourself? Basically, want no responsibility for life other than just showing up? That's when food does things to you, rather than the other way around.

Food can't do anything to you that you really decide you don't want it to do. You merely have to take responsibility for it. So long as people see the grocery store as a place to satisfy they desires, they will be victims of their desires. If they see it as a place to meet needs, they just might get right with their food. But they have to come to truly understand the difference between need and want, because needs don't leave you any choices. Wants let you decide.

Over time, we have changed in attitude to stuff. We used to harmlessly "need" things that were hard to get, and now we have forgotten how to "want" and choose not to have. If we see something, we have have it - we need it. And there is ever so much out there today to see and need. But don't blame the people who offer to meet the need. The blame lies solely with the needy.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:14 AM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
That picture turns my stomach. I would remove the bacon and have maybe only one slice, a thin spread of mayo on only one slice of bread, and definitely a much thinner bread. Those slices are too thick for me. And they would have to be whole grain. I don't like white bread. On second thought I think I would like to have a meatloaf dinner.
Sorry, I didn't mean to turn your stomach!
Old 03-10-2012, 01:49 PM   #17
Senior Cook

I think the larger portions are about economics. There is fierce competition among restaurants of all kinds. If one restaurant offers a larger portion than the one down the road for the same price, the one that offers more for the money has an edge.

As a customer, I like large portions. I like to be able to split my meal into two portions and take one home. This way I get two meals for my money.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:03 PM   #18
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Bean View Post
Sorry, I didn't mean to turn your stomach!
S'ok.. cause, well.. umm.. YUM..

That looks like a great sammich..
Old 03-10-2012, 07:42 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
S'ok.. cause, well.. umm.. YUM..

That looks like a great sammich..
Thanks. To each his own, I guess. I know that my post didn't have anything to do with restaurant portions.... just trying to joke around.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:36 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I love BLT's! That's a beauty, VB.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote