"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 03-07-2012, 08:49 AM   #1
Head Chef

Supersize v Superskinny (UK)

Not so much a food show, but a health show regarding overeating and undereating.

Two extremes are put together to sample each others diets (very overweight person v anorexic) and to examine each others life styles with a view to changing their own lifestyles.

I am constantly shocked at how being overweight through eating too much, becomes a disability, in a big way. People are being hoisted out of their houses, into supersize ambulances to get to hospital to be treated for health problems brought on by their size.

Also, if someone is so big they literally cannot move, who is feeding them enough to maintain or increase that weight? And who pays for that amount of stuff????

And, why are food portions in the US so gigantic???

Old 03-07-2012, 09:16 AM   #2
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
Not so much a food show, but a health show regarding overeating and undereating.

Two extremes are put together to sample each others diets (very overweight person v anorexic) and to examine each others life styles with a view to changing their own lifestyles.

I am constantly shocked at how being overweight through eating too much, becomes a disability, in a big way. People are being hoisted out of their houses, into supersize ambulances to get to hospital to be treated for health problems brought on by their size.
Interesting, I will look and see if I can find some episodes on line.

Quote:
Also, if someone is so big they literally cannot move, who is feeding them enough to maintain or increase that weight? And who pays for that amount of stuff????
I have watched a few shows here in the US on extremely over weight people. Watching the caregivers as the person would lose weight sometimes was disturbing. The person starts to lose weight and the caregiver starts feeding them cake....

Quote:
We (as a nation) demand it. When you start to look a at restaurant review usually you see mention of portion size. Bigger is better.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:13 AM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Here's what the people who study the phenomenon say. Restaurants have very few business factors they can control. They cannot control rents, utilities, or the unit cost of food. Not can they really control salaries which become fairly standardized. Nor can they control the number of customers who come to eat.

What they can control is how much food they serve and charge for. In any sales business, the more you sell, the more money you make. You can't just charge more for the same food. You have to provide more food in a meal, if you want to charge more for the meal and make more profit. You cannot do it with two-for-one deals. People will not buy two hamburgers, just to get the second one at a lower price. But they will pay more for a bigger burger, if it's available and seems like a good deal. To do this, a restaurant must increase the plate size, too. That plate size becomes the standard. You want customer to want a full plate. Once all this begins, all the competing restaurants must follow, else they appear to be offering inferior value. And the restaurant plate becomes the home standard, also. If you happen to buy a 1940's home that has not been updated, you may well find that the kitchen cabinets will not accommodate a modern dinner plate.

Buffets, when they could be found, were once limited to plain "American" food. Now, the majority are Chinese. And such things as "endless pasta bowls" are featured at Italian chains. Chinese, Italian, and Mexican food are among the cheapest to produce and among the most profitable in very large portions.

Some notable examples. In 1972, the McDonald's "Quarter-Pounder" was considered a large hamburger. It was large. It's original 1955 burger was a "one point two ouncer."

A "large" pizza was once 10 or 12 inches. Pizza is still cut into the same eight slices. But a little geometry will reveal the way in which area increases as diameter increases, and the 1/8 pizza slice gets about 2/3 bigger. In my youth, Coke came in 8 ounce bottles or was served at a fountain in a glass that might barely hold 8 ounces. The standard dinner plate was ten inches. It is not 12 inches. A 10-inch plate has an area of 78.5 square inches. A 12-inch plate is 113 sq. in. And remember how you have to allow for the original coffee "cup" when you buy a coffee maker. People do fill the plate and the cup, and they tend to eat and drink it all.

Now, let's all go out for a Cheesecake Factory Ranch House Burger

Opps. Looks like that 1,900 calorie wonder was listed too many times on the worst hamburger lists. We'll just have to go on over to Chili's for the Chili's Southern Smokehouse Bacon Burger, only 2,290 calories with fries.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:33 AM   #4
Head Chef

I should add my own speculation on why the phenomenon didn't take hold so much in Europe. In the U.S., the restaurant experience is largely get in, eat, get out. It's not just "fast food" places that boast of speed. Actual sit-down restaurants anticipate that customers want speed, and the "lunch break" at work is strictly limited, and the clock haunts any lunch outing. The goal is to stuff as many as possible in the least possible time. The American restaurant grew up in an atmosphere of great industrial vigor where getting right back to work mattered to bosses who were riding the economic miracle and where the work ethic that converted the whole middle U.S. to cultivation transferred to industrial work.

The European experience of lunching at leisure as a social experience is not common in the U.S. Here, I will not, as I did in Marseille, go to lunch with several friends and spend two hours at lunch in a very reasonable fish restaurant where the owner gets involved in everyone getting to sample his favorites. I will find coffee shops where I can sit indefinitely, mostly outdoors, but they will be strictly self-serve. There will be no place where a waiter will serve and no one will object or be surprised if I sit there for a few hours and read while nursing my one beer. Both the restaurant and the cafe will charge more than I would expect in the U.S., charging as much for the space as the beer. And the fish will excellent and alive that morning and will be served in a reasonable portion that is intended to be enjoyed without hurry. There is a difference in approaches to eating in which offering larger portions does not appear to be greater value, because the value is in more than the food itself. No benefit for larger plates. And, of course, we know well that eating slowly results in eating less. In America, we did to eating what we did to everything else, made it more efficient, got more of it done in less time.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:41 AM   #5
Executive Chef

In our quest to be efficient, society has devised ways of getting as much food into us with as little effort as possible. Food is only one thing that is abused and addictive in our society. Drugs, people, human rights, kids, spouses, sex, power, television.. It is the way of the world, unfortunately. I think overeating and obesity from overeating is just a symptom of our rotting society. You have to address the cause, not the symptoms. Good luck with that.

Mother nature has invented necrosis as a tool to create a balance in the biological processes of our earth. Our species is only doing what we were put on this earth to do. Is die, eventually. Animals of all kinds will eat themselves to death is they have the chance.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
Head Chef

Whenever I begin to despair on account of thinking we're nearing the end, I reflect on the likely truth that way back in the dawn of time, some hairy, grubby cave man stumbled out of his hole and looked around and declared that the whole world had gone to hell since he was a boy and had to beat his dinner to death with a dull rock and eat it raw.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:25 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I'm pretty sure that Coca Cola used to come in 6 or 6.5 ounce bottles. Remember back in the 50's when the "other" soft drink was 7 Up. They called it Seven Up because it came in a seven ounce bottle and the name was pointing out that it was a bigger serving. Can you even imagine 1/2 ounce of soft drink making a difference today?
Old 03-07-2012, 11:26 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I have read that the food industry loves for us to be overweight. Fat people eat more.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:30 AM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Can you even imagine 1/2 ounce of soft drink making a difference today?
Not with the cups they have at places like 7-11. You can hurt you back trying to carry one of those full of sugary drink.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:50 AM   #10
Master Chef

I've been guilty of "over-sizing" things.