Swedish meatballs are actually Turkish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotGarlic

Chef Extraordinaire
'My whole life has been a lie': Sweden admits meatballs are Turkish

Turks don’t mince their words as they relish news that Ikea’s famous dish is not Swedish

Turks have reacted with undisguised glee to what many have described as an official – and certainly long overdue – confession from Stockholm that Sweden’s signature national dish is, in fact, Turkish.

“Those famous Swedish meatballs you get in Ikea are actually Turkish, admits Swedish government,”*tweeted TRT World, Turkey’s publicly funded international television news channel.

“Swedish meatballs originally Turkish dish: Swedish government,” said*the headline in Hürriyet Daily News, after Sweden’s official national Twitter account, @swedense, came clean last weekend.

“Swedish meatballs are actually based on a recipe King Charles XII brought home from Turkey in the early 18th century,” the Swedish account*revealed abruptlyand for no immediately apparent reason. “Let’s stick to the facts!”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...een-a-lie-sweden-admits-meatballs-are-turkish

In spite of the fact that this came from The Guardian, I can easily belive it. Although, I am going to guess that the original Turkish recipe was altered significantly. IKEA Swedish meatballs don't have any lamb.

Nationalities have been melting together, and sometimes outright stealing foods for millennium. Most of the things we eat are a product of sharing, borrowing, and stealing.

Food brings people together -- and gives people all kinds of reasons to argue. :ROFLMAO:

It is part of what makes food so much more than just something to eat.

Thanks for the interesting story, GG.

CD

Last edited:
Which I have pointed out too many times, same goes for kåldolmar.
It been 300 years, they are of Turkish origin but they no longer Turkish, they have evovled, no Turk think they taste Turkish any more, they are their own thing.

Another example, the log cabins that is so famous in USA as the first houses, well that is a Swedish and Finnish idea. The British style house wasnt fast enough to build and had to stay in tents but the Swedish settlers in the Swedish colony ( which had Finns in it) built warm stable log houses instead. And people opted for that idea, a house that goes up faster then wattle and daub, is better when you need a quick house.

It doesnt make less American, it just was time when we were allowed to borrow and build on others ideas .

I meant it to be tongue in cheek, not a serious revelation ;) The history of food and how it has spread around the world and been incorporated into different cuisines is a fascinating topic to me.

When I visited Turkey, the guide told us that much of the food associated with the western Mediterranean and parts of southern Europe originated in the royal kitchens of the Turkish sultans during the Ottoman Empire. For example, stuffed grape leaves became stuffed cabbage rolls - a known recipe adapted using local ingredients.

I read somewhere many years ago that pizza, or at least a pizza-like flatbread with cheese and other toppings actually originated in southern France, and migrated to Italy. That doesn't make a Neapolitan pizza any less Italian, but as I recall, it was an interesting article.

GG was it you posted something about the Turkish - Ottoman kitchens?

However I got to this article, it was absolutely fascinating. The pictures were awesome as well as the history.

GG was it you posted something about the Turkish - Ottoman kitchens?

However I got to this article, it was absolutely fascinating. The pictures were awesome as well as the history.
I may have. I've actually seen those kitchens. When we visited Turkey, our hotel was a converted house attached to the wall that surrounds the land side of the Topkapi Palace in Istanbul, where the sultans lived. The property is now a museum. It's incredibly beautiful.

This is funny. My Turkish neighbors from my old house pointed this out to me once when they asked me about my ancestr. When I told them that I was half Norwegian, they mentioned that Swedish meatballs were in fact a Turkish recipe.

I laughed and told them that Swedes claim credit for everything, and then often get things wrong, but the inside joke was lost on them.

I read somewhere many years ago that pizza, or at least a pizza-like flatbread with cheese and other toppings actually originated in southern France, and migrated to Italy. That doesn't make a Neapolitan pizza any less Italian, but as I recall, it was an interesting article.

The French will tell you they invented every good thing we've ever put in our mouths, including water. :rolleyes:

CD:LOL:

Last edited:
I meant it to be tongue in cheek, not a serious revelation ;) The history of food and how it has spread around the world and been incorporated into different cuisines is a fascinating topic to me.

When I visited Turkey, the guide told us that much of the food associated with the western Mediterranean and parts of southern Europe originated in the royal kitchens of the Turkish sultans during the Ottoman Empire. For example, stuffed grape leaves became stuffed cabbage rolls - a known recipe adapted using local ingredients.
Those kåldolmar that CakePoet mentioned are cabbage rolls. The name is a give away that the recipe was an import. Kål is cabbage and dolmar is the Swedish plural of dolma, the name of the stuffed vine leaves. I often call them cabbage dolmas. :rolleyes: :LOL:

We do not take credit for everything, just the things other Swedes has done, it not our fault countries give people citizenship after they invented something useful.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom