"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 01-23-2013, 08:52 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

After the reviews I'm hoping to stream a rerun somewhere.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:11 PM   #12
Master Chef

I am tired of all this cooking shows, or rather show of shows. I want some show about actual cooking, where I can learn how to actually cook.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:31 PM   #13
Head Chef

I only caught a few minutes of the show. What a lady did with a kugle sounded weird, and I bet she's a great cook. I might give it another chance if it doesn't interfere with The Real Housewives, & ME TV. lol. I'm hooked on watching Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart, etc. reruns. Seriously, I would rather watch a cooking show.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:36 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I am tired of all this cooking shows, or rather show of shows. I want some show about actual cooking, where I can learn how to actually cook.
amen, brother!
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:53 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Sara Moulton is on PBS and always has some excellent ideas for quick meals. Jacques Pepin is another excellent teacher. He was a professor for many years at Boston University in the culinary department. PBS show also.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:35 AM   #16
Hospitality Queen

I watched The Taste - I really like watching anything with Anthony Bourdain in it, so that was a good reason ;)
Luca Lefebvre is a really talented chef/restauranteur - you may have seen him on Top Chef Masters.
But I have a feeling he's got a big temper. Brian Malarkey was on Top Chef as a contestant. Didn't win, but got my respect. He's got I think 5 restaurants now, including one in San Diego that a friend just went to - good reviews from her :)
Of course we know Nigella - and I think she'll have a heart for her contestants... but for the life of me I can't see why she chose the mashed potato lady... hmmm!
Did anyone recognize Khristian (spelling was something like that) - she also tried out on Gordon Ramsay's show "Master Chef"
I like that, since it's based on a blind taste only, that they can send their *own* team member home!
Old 01-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath View Post
I watched The Taste - I really like watching anything with Anthony Bourdain in it, so that was a good reason ;)
Luca Lefebvre is a really talented chef/restauranteur - you may have seen him on Top Chef Masters.
But I have a feeling he's got a big temper. Brian Malarkey was on Top Chef as a contestant. Didn't win, but got my respect. He's got I think 5 restaurants now, including one in San Diego that a friend just went to - good reviews from her :)
Of course we know Nigella - and I think she'll have a heart for her contestants... but for the life of me I can't see why she chose the mashed potato lady... hmmm!
Did anyone recognize Khristian (spelling was something like that) - she also tried out on Gordon Ramsay's show "Master Chef"
I like that, since it's based on a blind taste only, that they can send their *own* team member home!
I think you are confusing "Master Chef" with "Hells Kitchen". "Master Chef" is an all amateur show and the three judges G. Ramsey, G, Elliot and J. Bastianich determine who goes home. All three judges taste the dishes and do it in front of the contestant. "Hells Kitchen" contestants are supposedly pro chefs, where usually the losing team select members for elimination. However, Gordon has the final say. The only blind tasting I have seen is on "Hells Kitchen" by the contestants trying to identify ingredients to win their team a "day off". I can't stand Joe Bastianich, he is such an arrogant putz.

This past seasons "Master Chef" winner, Christine Ha, is incredible. Being blind and winning is quite an accomplishment. Just amazing.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:21 PM   #18
Certified Cake Maniac

I watched it again, this time with TB, and I have officially decided I like it. I think some of the things I didn't like about it can be explained by the fact that they are ALL new to this type of thing, both contestants and mentors, so mistakes get made.

I remember Khristianne Uy from Anne Burrell's ripoff (IMHO) of Chef Hunter. She didn't win but made a great impression on everyone, including me. I am really happy that she made it through.

I thought Brian Malarkey looked familiar but couldn't place him. Thanks, Craig for reminding me.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:46 PM   #19
Hospitality Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
I think you are confusing "Master Chef" with "Hells Kitchen". "Master Chef" is an all amateur show and the three judges G. Ramsey, G, Elliot and J. Bastianich determine who goes home. All three judges taste the dishes and do it in front of the contestant. "Hells Kitchen" contestants are supposedly pro chefs, where usually the losing team select members for elimination. However, Gordon has the final say. The only blind tasting I have seen is on "Hells Kitchen" by the contestants trying to identify ingredients to win their team a "day off". I can't stand Joe Bastianich, he is such an arrogant putz.

This past seasons "Master Chef" winner, Christine Ha, is incredible. Being blind and winning is quite an accomplishment. Just amazing.
Nope, it wasn't confusion - I'm a fan of both of those shows. Khristian was on the show, as an early contestant.
I think the confusion was that my last sentence was referring again to "the taste". Perhaps I should have hit the enter button again, so it showed my mind was reverting. (sorry, I have a tendency to ramble... kind of like now...lol)

OH, and Christine, the winner - LOVED her!!!! She completely deserved that win.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:50 PM   #20
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath View Post
Nope, it wasn't confusion - I'm a fan of both of those shows. Khristian was on the show, as an early contestant.
I think the confusion was that my last sentence was referring again to "the taste". Perhaps I should have hit the enter button again, so it showed my mind was reverting. (sorry, I have a tendency to ramble... kind of like now...lol)

OH, and Christine, the winner - LOVED her!!!! She completely deserved that win.
I didn't see much of Master Chef, though I did see the final and was glad Christine won! I forgot that Khristianne was on that one as well! That's three shows for her.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote