The Taste

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think we will give this one a go as we love all types of cooking shows, it sounds good :)

After meeting him in person, I do not like him anymore, on the personal level.

You met Anthony Bourdain in person? Wow. I have read his book "No Reservations" and seen him on other shows. He is pretty hard-nosed, but so far on this show I like him a lot.

bourdain is the taste's bad boy, much like steven tyler was resident bad boy for american idol. on the whole, bad boys are good for ratings. most women have a special attraction for our 'bad boy's in america--we forgive a lot. yes, some people are offended by their potty mouths, their arrogance and conceit, and refuse to watch them. but many others tune in just to hate on them, or to witness and react to the bb's expected repulsive behavior. bourdain is also the most recognizable and famous of the show's panelists. the success or failure of this new show, the taste, right or wrong, sits quite squarely on bourdain's roguish shoulders.

Last edited:
I enjoy Bourdain, and his books. And yes, he is kind of a jerk.

Bad boy persona did not bother me. It was on a personal level.

And that 'personal level' comes across also on TV. "I am on TV and you are too stupid to be here. You know nothing, and I know everything." It was that attitude that got him fired from most of his jobs in NYC. :angel:

I have decided, after watching it, that Anthony Bourdain
is PSYCHIC!
Because so far, he has managed to only pick cooks who
just happen to be attractive females.
Not saying that it ISN'T rigged somehow, but one wonders.

I watched a replay of the second hour of the premiere, and there were a couple of things that stood out.

I actually liked Bourdain in a weird sort of way. I don't know if that will last, but I think he has a little bit of charm behind that "bad boy" exterior.

I do think there is a little more to the whole audition process than we see on camera. Like GrillingFool I am not saying it is rigged, but they definitely edit a lot out. It is curious how they pick the order of who talks in what order. It always seems that the one(s) who said yes go last but it is seamless with no one saying "you go first, second, third....

Despite all the things I think are wrong with the show, I am strangely attracted to it and will probably keep watching it! ;)

I have decided, after watching it, that Anthony Bourdain
is PSYCHIC!
Because so far, he has managed to only pick cooks who
just happen to be attractive females.
Not saying that it ISN'T rigged somehow, but one wonders.

bourdain does appear to have a penchant for selecting the foods prepared by attractive young ladies on the taste, so far. it will be interesting to see the makeup of his team upon completion.:)

one of the most annoying things to me about this show in its first airing was the panel judges repeated emphasis about the contestant's training or lack of training as chefs. for a show in which TASTE is supposed to be the only consideration, there was an almost obsessive amount of probing and speculation into whether each cook was a'home cook' or a 'professional' chef. it was the first question asked of each contestant, immediately followed with profuse disclaimers that it really 'didn't matter' either way, and that there is nothing Wrong with being a home cook... the judges made a display of counting the number of professional contestants that were chosen for their teams compared to home cooks. there was even a debate among the panel about one contestant's assertion that she was 'professional', with bourdain demoting her to 'just a baker' in status--not a professional, by his standards.

it will be interesting to see how this show develops in the coming weeks...

Last edited:
Yeah, I'll give it a couple of weeks only b/c AB and Nigella are on the show but God knows how they think being on the show is going to help their 'brands'. If it's another flop why bother? Neither of them 'need' the money.

Dang, is this on again?!
I started the thread and I haven't seen it yet! Watching something else...
It sounds like a decent show.

i watched it tonight, and i thought it stunk.

way too much editing, too much left out, silly stage gimmicks, too many personal opinions that seemed to be forced to be in conflict for the show.

just dumb.

thankfully there was a hockey game on.

Back
Top Bottom