The Taste

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
I saw a show called The Taste advertised over the weekend. It starts tonight on ABC. It might be interesting. Since they are only serving one spoon, or taste, I wonder if there will be any presentation...
About The Show - The Taste - ABC.com

I've heard about it. sounds like it could be good. We will more than likely only get to watch it a few months after you. SA is far behind :(

I am looking forward to seeing this show .. a bit different from the others. I hope it's a good one.

Somebunny and I were chatting in the What Are You Doing? thread that it is a culinary version of The Voice and neither of us are sure yet if we are going to like it. I will give it one more week.....

Just thought of one of the things that bothered me about the show. The whole thing is supposed to be about the taste. They eat and then they lock in yes or no. But so many times after they meet the person they regret their decision and wish they had voted for them. DUH! :huh:

Just thought of one of the things that bothered me about the show. The whole thing is supposed to be about the taste. They eat and then they lock in yes or no. But so many times after they meet the person they regret their decision and wish they had voted for them. DUH! :huh:

Agreed! Seems a goofy premise to me, especially when some of the "tastes" they professed to like/enjoy but then did not choose the preparer. =\

I finally watched it and I like it.

I like that they have to commit based on the taste. It removes all the other stuff attached that has nothing to do with the final product.

I have no clue who 2 of the judges are - Luca and Malarky - but I did enjoy their reactions and comments.

I saw an ad for the next Worst Cook In America .. I like that one too.

I am tired of all this cooking shows, or rather show of shows. I want some show about actual cooking, where I can learn how to actually cook.

I only caught a few minutes of the show. What a lady did with a kugle sounded weird, and I bet she's a great cook. I might give it another chance if it doesn't interfere with The Real Housewives, & ME TV. lol. I'm hooked on watching Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart, etc. reruns. Seriously, I would rather watch a cooking show.

Last edited:
I am tired of all this cooking shows, or rather show of shows. I want some show about actual cooking, where I can learn how to actually cook.

Sara Moulton is on PBS and always has some excellent ideas for quick meals. Jacques Pepin is another excellent teacher. He was a professor for many years at Boston University in the culinary department. PBS show also. :angel:

I watched The Taste - I really like watching anything with Anthony Bourdain in it, so that was a good reason ;)
Luca Lefebvre is a really talented chef/restauranteur - you may have seen him on Top Chef Masters.
But I have a feeling he's got a big temper. Brian Malarkey was on Top Chef as a contestant. Didn't win, but got my respect. He's got I think 5 restaurants now, including one in San Diego that a friend just went to - good reviews from her :)
Of course we know Nigella - and I think she'll have a heart for her contestants... but for the life of me I can't see why she chose the mashed potato lady... hmmm!
Did anyone recognize Khristian (spelling was something like that) - she also tried out on Gordon Ramsay's show "Master Chef"
I like that, since it's based on a blind taste only, that they can send their *own* team member home!

I watched The Taste - I really like watching anything with Anthony Bourdain in it, so that was a good reason ;)
Luca Lefebvre is a really talented chef/restauranteur - you may have seen him on Top Chef Masters.
But I have a feeling he's got a big temper. Brian Malarkey was on Top Chef as a contestant. Didn't win, but got my respect. He's got I think 5 restaurants now, including one in San Diego that a friend just went to - good reviews from her :)
Of course we know Nigella - and I think she'll have a heart for her contestants... but for the life of me I can't see why she chose the mashed potato lady... hmmm!
Did anyone recognize Khristian (spelling was something like that) - she also tried out on Gordon Ramsay's show "Master Chef"
I like that, since it's based on a blind taste only, that they can send their *own* team member home!

I think you are confusing "Master Chef" with "Hells Kitchen". "Master Chef" is an all amateur show and the three judges G. Ramsey, G, Elliot and J. Bastianich determine who goes home. All three judges taste the dishes and do it in front of the contestant. "Hells Kitchen" contestants are supposedly pro chefs, where usually the losing team select members for elimination. However, Gordon has the final say. The only blind tasting I have seen is on "Hells Kitchen" by the contestants trying to identify ingredients to win their team a "day off". I can't stand Joe Bastianich, he is such an arrogant putz.

This past seasons "Master Chef" winner, Christine Ha, is incredible. Being blind and winning is quite an accomplishment. Just amazing.

I watched it again, this time with TB, and I have officially decided I like it. I think some of the things I didn't like about it can be explained by the fact that they are ALL new to this type of thing, both contestants and mentors, so mistakes get made.

I remember Khristianne Uy from Anne Burrell's ripoff (IMHO) of Chef Hunter. She didn't win but made a great impression on everyone, including me. I am really happy that she made it through.

I thought Brian Malarkey looked familiar but couldn't place him. Thanks, Craig for reminding me.

Last edited:
I think you are confusing "Master Chef" with "Hells Kitchen". "Master Chef" is an all amateur show and the three judges G. Ramsey, G, Elliot and J. Bastianich determine who goes home. All three judges taste the dishes and do it in front of the contestant. "Hells Kitchen" contestants are supposedly pro chefs, where usually the losing team select members for elimination. However, Gordon has the final say. The only blind tasting I have seen is on "Hells Kitchen" by the contestants trying to identify ingredients to win their team a "day off". I can't stand Joe Bastianich, he is such an arrogant putz.

This past seasons "Master Chef" winner, Christine Ha, is incredible. Being blind and winning is quite an accomplishment. Just amazing.

Nope, it wasn't confusion - I'm a fan of both of those shows. Khristian was on the show, as an early contestant.
I think the confusion was that my last sentence was referring again to "the taste". Perhaps I should have hit the enter button again, so it showed my mind was reverting. (sorry, I have a tendency to ramble... kind of like now...lol)

OH, and Christine, the winner - LOVED her!!!! She completely deserved that win.

Nope, it wasn't confusion - I'm a fan of both of those shows. Khristian was on the show, as an early contestant.
I think the confusion was that my last sentence was referring again to "the taste". Perhaps I should have hit the enter button again, so it showed my mind was reverting. (sorry, I have a tendency to ramble... kind of like now...lol)

OH, and Christine, the winner - LOVED her!!!! She completely deserved that win.

I didn't see much of Master Chef, though I did see the final and was glad Christine won! I forgot that Khristianne was on that one as well! That's three shows for her. :)

Back
Top Bottom