"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 08-20-2013, 12:17 AM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

Do any of you tip the housekeeper who cleans your room in a hotel? I do, even if I stay for just one night. A five dollar tip is the norm. I have friends that never do. Trust me folks. Any one who is serving the public directly, is making only minimum wage.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:46 AM   #52
Senior Cook

In response to a very interesting discussion. If you think your meal was exceptional ask the chef to come out to your table and thank him. In most cases he or she will bring praise back to the kitchen and share it with the rest of the staff. Many times front of the house will not relay your thoughts.[waitrons,hosts, managers etc] Kitchen gets no tips and in most cases get a fair wage. A kind word helps the morale of a sometimes difficult shift. All complaints end up in the kitchen. As for the tipping issue I see both sides of the fence.All management should pay all personnel a decent wage, include it in the price and loose the non producing workers, just like any other business. Because of competition a lot of managers,chefs,waitrons, and other personnel now work on a bonus incentive system. When things are good pay is good. When things are bad its time for a new job. Seems a lot fairer than any tipping or added charge fees.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:51 AM   #53
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Do any of you tip the housekeeper who cleans your room in a hotel? I do, even if I stay for just one night. A five dollar tip is the norm. I have friends that never do. Trust me folks. Any one who is serving the public directly, is making only minimum wage.
In my working years I spent most of each year living in hotels. We used to tip the housekeepers and also leave them our unopened bottles of beer, wine coolers etc.... We stayed in New Hampshire for an extended period of time and the housekeeping staff started having a happy hour every Friday afternoon with our leftovers!
Old 08-20-2013, 03:40 PM   #54
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
And do the teachers get a bonus if the children do well?

In Virginia, we have the Standards of Learning tests - SOLs for short. Smart marketing, eh? The schools are penalized by the state and federal governments if the students don't do well, so they're forced to put pressure on the students and teach to the test. It's lazy politicians who think evaluating school effectiveness by testing is going to improve the schools that are at fault.
Yes they do and their salaries are tied to performance too. The schools also get more funding if test scores are high.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #55
Master Chef

Here's another related article I saw this morning:

The end of restaurant tipping? - MarketWatch
Old 08-21-2013, 12:56 PM   #56
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Here's another related article I saw this morning:

The end of restaurant tipping? - MarketWatch
Another interesting article ont he subject. There were some very big name chefs and restaurants making the change to no tipping. Interesting to see how far this goes.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:34 PM   #57
Chef Extraordinaire

I was a waitress at a members' only yacht club. Tips were shared with the front and the back of the house. I can't remember what the mandatory tip was, but I think it was 25%. This was a long time ago. The back of the house got 10% to split, the bartender got 5%, the waitress got 10%. This was in the early '80s. Shift manager figured out the amounts and handed the bucks out at the end of each shift. I made far more in tips working there than I did working in a retail clothing store. Why are some "services" considered "tip worthy" and others not? I do tip my hair dresser, but the cost of a cut is $20. I give her $10 because she does a fantastic job on my very fine, difficult to style hair. She spends a lot of time on my hair.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:45 PM   #58
Chef Extraordinaire

When I was in college, I was a waitress for a couple of years at the Officers Club at the Naval Air Base in Norfolk. Because it's a federal facility, it's not subject to the minimum wage exemption that allows regular restaurants to pay $2.13 (or thereabouts) per hour, so I made the minimum - I think it was $5.something at the time. Plus tips, plus it was mostly buffets, so the work wasn't onerous and back then, officers and their families drank freely. Sunday champagne brunch was the best for making tips

The club also did a lot of catering - wedding receptions, command change dinners, welcome-home dinners, etc. I think the club charged a percentage of the total bill and distributed it among everyone who worked it. Bartenders had tip jars on the portable bars for these events; I don't remember now whether that was included in the tip pool.

I figured I made probably $10-12 per hour at least, with the tips.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:22 PM   #59
Chef Extraordinaire

There were days I went home the end of my 4 hour shift with $100 in my pocket. When I got to work dinner service, I went home with anywhere from $175 to 225. Those shifts were 6 hour shifts.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:29 PM   #60
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
There were days I went home the end of my 4 hour shift with $100 in my pocket. When I got to work dinner service, I went home with anywhere from $175 to 225. Those shifts were 6 hour shifts.
That kind of pay was a problem years ago when we were trying to convince young freshfaced kids to go to school and get a degree.

It can be very tempting.