"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 08-18-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
Certified Pretend Chef

This Restaurant Does Not Allow Tipping!

Check out this article. No tipping allowed but an 18% service charge on every check. The service charge is shared among all the staff.

Tipless restaurants: The Linkery’s owner explains why abolishing tipping made service better. - Slate Magazine

I think it's a great idea. How about you?

Old 08-18-2013, 08:57 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I like it. When I was bartending, the waitrons got to keep all their tips, even though they were supposed to share them with the rest of the staff. We bar staff only got tips from the 8 or so stools up at the bar even though we made all the drinks for the dining room as well as the bar. And everybody had to declare tips on our taxes whether we got them or not.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

While I agree that tips should be shared, I still disagree with an enforced "Service Charge" the waiters/-esses are supposed to EARN their tips. Raise your prices, but don't tell me I have to pay extra to get good service, that should be a given in any service industry.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:10 PM   #4
Head Chef

Trust me, anyone who works in the food service industry - and who is successful at it - definitely "earns" their money and 18% doesn't even begin to compensate for dealing with the general public on a regular basis. =)

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:23 PM   #5
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Then you are very lucky in the waitrons you have encountered. I have waited tables, I have been waited on, I have also cooked for a restaurant full of the general public. Not all of them deserve their wages, let alone tips. I don't like that being taken out of my hands.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:35 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Then you are very lucky in the waitrons you have encountered. I have waited tables, I have been waited on, I have also cooked for a restaurant full of the general public. Not all of them deserve their wages, let alone tips. I don't like that being taken out of my hands.
It's not really taken out of your hands. It just changes how you let your displeasure known. You can't do it by withholding or reducing the tip. You would have to complain to management. That may be better because then you are sure that management knows and can deal with it.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:20 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Check out this article. No tipping allowed but an 18% service charge on every check. The service charge is shared among all the staff.

Tipless restaurants: The Linkery’s owner explains why abolishing tipping made service better. - Slate Magazine

I think it's a great idea. How about you?
Sorry, but I will not visit any restaurant that has a mandatory service charge (tip). I tip for good service...bottom line.
IMHO an establishment that has a service charge policy creates complacency amongst it's staff. Why work hard when you are going to get a tip anyway.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:43 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_J_Dawg View Post
Sorry, but I will not visit any restaurant that has a mandatory service charge (tip). I tip for good service...bottom line.
IMHO an establishment that has a service charge policy creates complacency amongst it's staff. Why work hard when you are going to get a tip anyway.

You can simply communicate your displeasure to management. The waiter's poor performance is dealt with by management as it is in most jobs.

According to the article's author, sharing the service charge among all staff improved the performance of all involved.

Most of the time, when we eat out, the service is fine and we tip more than 18%. If I have a real issue with service, I believe the best way to deal with it is to talk to management. If I simply reduce or withhold a tip, management may never know there was an issue.

Frankly I think all tipping should be abolished and waitstaff, kitchen staff and bartenders, etc. should all be paid a living wage.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:47 PM   #9
Executive Chef

That sounds great on paper but unfortunately, it's the people that are flawed. In most restaurants good wait staff would become resentful for having to share their tips with other less productive staff, weather it is in back or front of the house. And there are always laggers and slackers in every place. What incentive would there be to work hard if you got the same tip money everybody else gets? Your good waiters/waitresses would eventually move on to another place with a different tip policy.

Like I said, it is a pie in the sky policy for most places. And, you are only as good as your weakest link.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:56 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
That sounds great on paper but unfortunately, it's the people that are flawed. In most restaurants good wait staff would become resentful for having to share their tips with other less productive staff, weather it is in back or front of the house. And there are always laggers and slackers in every place. What incentive would there be to work hard if you got the same tip money everybody else gets? Your good waiters/waitresses would eventually move on to another place with a different tip policy.

Like I said, it is a pie in the sky policy for most places. And, you are only as good as your weakest link.
Restaurant management has to change the way they do business too. I guess the distribution of the service charge dollars could be weighted. As with most businesses, if you don't do your job, you risk getting fired.