"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 05-21-2012, 03:45 AM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

Most of the shops at Fanuiel Hall are small business owners. Craft pople who create their own products. They are in business on a shoestring. These people pay their rent and dues on time. In spite of the economy, they honored their lease and kept their doors open.

They pay rent, so what are "dues"?

Old 05-21-2012, 05:27 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post
They pay rent, so what are "dues"?
The merchants have a Board like they have in Condos. The Board has a Director. The dues are for maintenance, and other expenses of the property. The Board collects the rents, provide programs for the tourists, provide security along with the Boston Police, etc.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:32 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
zereh, i thought i had the market at occasional improper responses. but i think i've been usurped.
I just let it slide. It sounds like zereh is on the youngish side. Sounds like something a youngster would say.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Andy he has Figs in Charlestown and Olives out in Newton or Wellesley. He has even had trouble out there for filth. The Merchants Assoc. and The City of Boston are both suing him over Fanuiel Hall. With any luck he will lose and have to sell off all his assets to pay up.

Its the opposite. Olives is in Charlestown and just reopening after a fire 2 years ago.

Kingfish Hall was a terrible restaurant and not just becasue a bunch of us got sick after eating there once.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:24 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
I only am in Boston to sail out of Black Hawk Terminal to go home every couple of years. I MUCH prefer the character, and fun of little Italy( is it hanover street down to commercial/commerce)neck of the woods, and hitting a few pubs afterwards.

Done the touristy thing at Union Oyster house, and Marliave(sp?), but much prefer getting out of the downtown area.

The Marliave isn't touristy, its a hipster place, with the occasional likes of me going there.

Next time you are at the Black Falcon try the Drydock Cafe -- its only a block or so away ...
Old 05-22-2012, 02:36 PM   #16
Master Chef

Is he the one who tried for the Original "Iron Chef"? I was not not impressed with him as far as food goes. Clearly he is just not good for the industry. Some times people like that manage to stay afloat some how.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:40 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Is he the one who tried for the Original "Iron Chef"? I was not not impressed with him as far as food goes. Clearly he is just not good for the industry. Some times people like that manage to stay afloat some how.

This is him:

Old 05-23-2012, 11:12 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Its the opposite. Olives is in Charlestown and just reopening after a fire 2 years ago.

Kingfish Hall was a terrible restaurant and not just becasue a bunch of us got sick after eating there once.
I still wouldn't eat at Olive's. They are probably serving roasted rat left over from the fire.