Todd English

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Addie

Chef Extraordinaire
Todd English is in trouble again. He opened a restaurant in Fanuiel Hall. He was two years behind on the rent and Association Dues. In the middle of the night he went in, removed all his equipment and furniture and just left. He just tore out the equipment damaging walls that have been there for more than 300 years. The building is an historical one. It is a converted warehouse from Pre-Revolution days He left the space in a destroyed mess. It is owned by the City of Boston. This is not the first time he has been in trouble. His first place in Charlestown, (another historical building) was running rampant with rats. That place has been closed down by the Health Department on more than one occasion.

It's too bad. He tried to get too big, too fast. He has also had problems with his restaurants in Las Vegas. Then he tried overseas. That didn't work out very well either. But according to our news reports, the City of Boston is going after him. Along with the Merchants Association at Fanuiel Hall. The Mayor is fed up with him. And I have to agree. As the saying goes, "He got too big for his britches."

Fanuiel Hall is a very historical place in Boston. It is where John Adams defended the British soldiers after the Boston Massacre. It has always been a place for merchants to sell their wares. And they still do. At one time it was a farmers market. I remember when horse and wagons filled with veggies were there. Down in the basement of Quincy Hall were all the meat markets. My mother would take me there on Saturdays to help carry the bags. We Bostonians revere our historical buildings. A lot of them were built in the early 1700's. And for someone to deliberately damage them is unforgivable. :ohmy:

I know nothing about the claims against him, but I will acknowledge that he is a yummy looking dish.

Addie, you're right, he's always in trouble. I hope the City goes after him hard and makes him pay for damages. Maybe they should cancel all his licenses to operate.

Addie, you're right, he's always in trouble. I hope the City goes after him hard and makes him pay for damages. Maybe they should cancel all his licenses to operate.

Andy he has Figs in Charlestown and Olives out in Newton or Wellesley. He has even had trouble out there for filth. The Merchants Assoc. and The City of Boston are both suing him over Fanuiel Hall. With any luck he will lose and have to sell off all his assets to pay up.

Andy, if you have ever seen the bricks they are like the ones on the Old North Church. Very small and handmade. At one time, clipper ships would pull right up to the docks next to the buildings in Fanuiel Hall and unload their cargo. Boston Harbor came right up to the building. As you are standing on the sidewalk looking in, on the left side is the North Building. That is where his restaurant was. On the other side is the South Building. You can't put wallboard over the brick on the inside of the building. What equipment he had attached to the outside wall, they just ripped it out.

He has certainly has his share of ups and downs, both personal and business, but it's all part of the industry.

As for "too big, Too fast", he has been at it for well over 30 years, even his first place opened in like 89 I think(olives), before that, he was the lead Chef for Delta Airlines. He is no stranger to the food and beverage world.

Honestly, I think that the economy isn't supporting the types of places that were all the rage a decade ago. He is just another, in a long line that have had to close doors. As for his treatment of the historical building, that is just disrespectful, and highly unprofessional.

He has certainly has his share of ups and downs, both personal and business, but it's all part of the industry.

As for "too big, Too fast", he has been at it for well over 30 years, even his first place opened in like 89 I think(olives), before that, he was the lead Chef for Delta Airlines. He is no stranger to the food and beverage world.

Honestly, I think that the economy isn't supporting the types of places that were all the rage a decade ago. He is just another, in a long line that have had to close doors. As for his treatment of the historical building, that is just disrespectful, and highly unprofessional.

I am not exagerating when I tell you that customers in Olives when complaining about rats running across dirty dishes on the table next to them, were told by the waitstaff that it was normal. His problems have nothing to do with the economy. As Andy can confirm, his troubles go waaaay back. Long before the economy took a nose dive. His ego is beyond description. He honestly believes he can't be touched. I hope the City and Merchants Assoc. (good honest hard working people) take his skin. He was granted a site at Fanuiel Hall with the understanding that it would be the Flagship of the area. Now the other merchants through the dues they pay yearly and English failed to pay at all during the time he was there, will now have to pay higher dues in order to bring the empty space up to code again and to repair the damge. He trashed the place when leaving. They will also have to look for a new tenant when it is ready. He didn't pay rent for the past three years. He may be no stranger to the food and beverage industry, but he certainly is a stranger to good honest business practices.

Most of the shops at Fanuiel Hall are small business owners. Craft pople who create their own products. They are in business on a shoestring. These people pay their rent and dues on time. In spite of the economy, they honored their lease and kept their doors open.

If you want a recommendation for a good restaurant, ask a native to the area. Todd English and any of his businesses will not be on that list in Boston or surrounding cities and towns. His antics and practices have done harm to this city and the honest people who work here. Do they still tar and feather? :mad:

I am not exagerating when I tell you that customers in Olives when complaining about rats running across dirty dishes on the table next to them, were told by the waitstaff that it was normal. His problems have nothing to do with the economy. As Andy can confirm, his troubles go waaaay back. Long before the economy took a nose dive. His ego is beyond description. He honestly believes he can't be touched. I hope the City and Merchants Assoc. (good honest hard working people) take his skin. He was granted a site at Fanuiel Hall with the understanding that it would be the Flagship of the area. Now the other merchants through the dues they pay yearly and English failed to pay at all during the time he was there, will now have to pay higher dues in order to bring the empty space up to code again and to repair the damge. He trashed the place when leaving. They will also have to look for a new tenant when it is ready. He didn't pay rent for the past three years. He may be no stranger to the food and beverage industry, but he certainly is a stranger to good honest business practices.

Most of the shops at Fanuiel Hall are small business owners. Craft pople who create their own products. They are in business on a shoestring. These people pay their rent and dues on time. In spite of the economy, they honored their lease and kept their doors open.

If you want a recommendation for a good restaurant, ask a native to the area. Todd English and any of his businesses will not be on that list in Boston or surrounding cities and towns. His antics and practices have done harm to this city and the honest people who work here. Do they still tar and feather? :mad:

My only experiences with ANY of his places are limited to walking by them, and saying "Oh, that's a Todd Place". Personally, I agree with you, and his personality is enough to turn me off, let alone spend way too much money on a meal I can do myself for a third the price. I just speak from observing many "Celebrity" Chefs, especially here in DC, lacking business due to the economy. Funny enough, quite a few have opened low brow, yet high end lunch fair, offered off of lunch trucks, and are KILLING it. A lot less overhead than a brick and mortar locale, and they just rent prep space. Pretty neat, imo.

I only am in Boston to sail out of Black Hawk Terminal to go home every couple of years. I MUCH prefer the character, and fun of little Italy( is it hanover street down to commercial/commerce)neck of the woods, and hitting a few pubs afterwards.

Done the touristy thing at Union Oyster house, and Marliave(sp?), but much prefer getting out of the downtown area.

There are only two main streets in Little Italy. Hanover and Salem. Salem is the one for the locals. Hanover is for the tourists. Yes, Hanover does run down to Commercial Street. It is where the Coast Guard base is located. And I wouldn't want you to get lost. That is the Black Falcon Terminal not the Black Hawk. But you were close. But you have admit. Walking these wonderful cobblestone streets is such a joy on your tired feet. I love to sit in Fanuiel Hall and watch the women tourists in high heels trying to walk around. And you can hear the husbands saying, "I told you to put on walking shoes." Our red brick sidwalks aren't much better. But the tourists think it is quaint. :angel:

addie, that's a real shame. chefs and restaurants come and go as tatt well explained, but damaging american historical buildings just to save a buck because you failed? that's criminal!..i hope they fry his butt.

zereh, i thought i had the market at occasional improper responses. but i think i've been usurped. :glare:

:mad:

They pay rent, so what are "dues"?

Last edited:
They pay rent, so what are "dues"?

The merchants have a Board like they have in Condos. The Board has a Director. The dues are for maintenance, and other expenses of the property. The Board collects the rents, provide programs for the tourists, provide security along with the Boston Police, etc. :)

Last edited:
Andy he has Figs in Charlestown and Olives out in Newton or Wellesley. He has even had trouble out there for filth. The Merchants Assoc. and The City of Boston are both suing him over Fanuiel Hall. With any luck he will lose and have to sell off all his assets to pay up.

Its the opposite. Olives is in Charlestown and just reopening after a fire 2 years ago.

Kingfish Hall was a terrible restaurant and not just becasue a bunch of us got sick after eating there once.

I only am in Boston to sail out of Black Hawk Terminal to go home every couple of years. I MUCH prefer the character, and fun of little Italy( is it hanover street down to commercial/commerce)neck of the woods, and hitting a few pubs afterwards.

Done the touristy thing at Union Oyster house, and Marliave(sp?), but much prefer getting out of the downtown area.

The Marliave isn't touristy, its a hipster place, with the occasional likes of me going there. :cool:

Next time you are at the Black Falcon try the Drydock Cafe -- its only a block or so away ...

Last edited:
Is he the one who tried for the Original "Iron Chef"? I was not not impressed with him as far as food goes. Clearly he is just not good for the industry. Some times people like that manage to stay afloat some how.

Is he the one who tried for the Original "Iron Chef"? I was not not impressed with him as far as food goes. Clearly he is just not good for the industry. Some times people like that manage to stay afloat some how.

This is him:

todd_english_wireimage--300x300.jpg

Its the opposite. Olives is in Charlestown and just reopening after a fire 2 years ago.

Kingfish Hall was a terrible restaurant and not just becasue a bunch of us got sick after eating there once.

I still wouldn't eat at Olive's. They are probably serving roasted rat left over from the fire. :ohmy:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom