Too Beautiful To Eat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The first dish is called steak tartare and it's a classic dish that's been around since the early 1900's - way longer than you or I. My parents even used to eat it.

My wife and I enjoyed the meal. The food and wine was excellent and sparked great conversation. The atmosphere was beautiful, as well.

This being a cooking website, I would think that people here would have more appreciation for those who try to take it to another level. It's like saying you love art, but only if it's paint-by-numbers. Have we all become so old and boring that everything has to be meat and potatoes? I'm sorry but, good or not, there's nothing much exciting about that kind of food.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not knocking meat and potatoes, but every once in a while it's nice to get out and try something that's a little different.

To each his own. I do beef medium rare. Raw beef is simply not in my world of food - I dislike the texture for one thing. If I was to eat at a restaurant which offered it, I would order something else. I'm glad that you like it, but it hold nothing for me. The raw yolk on top of raw meat just adds an exclamation point. It looks to me like someone forgot a step in the preparation process.

I'm not opposed to raw with certain types of seafood. I've done oysters on the half shell with a pink peppercorn sauce. I've eaten raw conch just five minutes out of the shell, just briefly marinated in lime juice. I don't do sushi, just isn't my cup of tea.

As kids in Wisconsin, we hunted our own frogs and had a frog leg feast on the 4th of July. I've eaten alligator and rattlesnake and Rocky Mountain oysters. I've had squid prepared a number of different ways, not just the deep fried calamari that most Coloradans are familiar with.

As I said earlier, after 68 years, I've learned the types of foods that I really don't care for, most by trying and rejecting. I don't need to try steak tartare to know that I wouldn't like it, because I don't even like too rare beef.

Talking about the towering foods reminds me. What's the deal with adding fried eggs to everything? I'm sure it adds a nice flavor, although messy, and I'm also sure some people are put off by it.

I think (hope) that it's a fad that will soon pass.

I just did on YT. I couldn't find one with english subs.
The contestants were sure 'different'. The bugs are not to my liking. LOL

It's actually "Master Chef Korea CELEBRITY!" So those contestants are singers, actors etc.

It is occasionally subtitled ... But in KOREAN!

It's a hoot to watch. I try to understand what they are saying with my limited knowledge of Korean.

Its certainly a weird addition to the Master Chef brand.

And I totally agree with you that the Canada and Australia versions are pretty serious. More like Top Chef. The U.S. one is fake -- the contestants, the drama. The judging.

Talking about the towering foods reminds me. What's the deal with adding fried eggs to everything? I'm sure it adds a nice flavor, although messy, and I'm also sure some people are put off by it.

I think (hope) that it's a fad that will soon pass.

I haven't seen many towering presentations for years now but eggs are very "of the moment" in the culinary world. Also smoke, shashito peppers (sp), house made pickles and charcuterie and Korean food.

I think eggs will go the way of the truffle craze of ten years ago.

Last edited:
When working with the food photographer, "less is more" and "pile it high" are two of the guidelines. Protein goes at 6 o'clock, no garnishes except those ingredients used in the recipe. When developing recipes, we try to have enough contrast in colour and texture to be visually appealing in the photograph (and to combine the ingredients to be appealing to the tasters as well).

I'm not a fan of the food tower, Steve's pix are gorgeous, no towers. I like food arranged like that. I would be a bit dubious of having my meat and veg sitting in that big a puddle of sauce. What was that dish?

The steak tartar looks wonderful. The raw egg yoke is traditional and goes very well with the raw beef. Are there capers mixed into that beef?

I'm reminded of one tower of food. We had an exquisite meal, beautifully presented (with no towers). Stirling ordered apple pie for dessert. What he got was a deconstructed apple pie in a tower. He was not pleased. It didn't taste like apple pie. He would have been happy to have just about any kind of apple pie and was half-way expecting one of those fancy French apple tarts with the prettily arranged apple slices and glazed with apricot jelly.

When I was out in California a number of years ago, we went to Spago's. I ordered the crab cakes. And that is what I got. Three crab cakes arranged in a circle with the edge arranged on the previously next to it. No sauce, no garnish. No side dish. No flavor. Not even a veggie. And the crab cakes left something to be desired. They were served on the biggest dinner plate they had in the kitchen. Those poor crab cakes were so small, they looked like they were calling for help. If I served a guest something like that, I would hide with shame. I guess I had to be a Hollywood star to appreciate the meal.

I enjoyed eating the two hot dogs with sauerkraut at Pink's more. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom