Twinkies (demise) Reborn!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love sweet potatoes plain, I love them with butter, I love them with butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon, and I love them topped with crusty browned marshmallows.

Are the marshmallow covered sweet potatoes very sweet? Yes. Is it a dish I would want to eat more than a couple times a year? Not really, but I do enjoy them on the holidays. :cool:

I love sweet potatoes plain, I love them with butter, I love them with butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon, and I love them topped with crusty browned marshmallows.

Are the marshmallow covered sweet potatoes very sweet? Yes. Is it a dish I would want to eat more than a couple times a year? Not really, but I do enjoy them on the holidays. :cool:

Because I am a dietbetic, I am ever mindful of foods high in natural sugar. And sweet potatoes are one of those foods. The only time I will eat marshnallow is at Easter when the Peeps come out. I buy a box of eight, eat them all at once and get the sugar needs out of my system for the year. I love those Peeps! Now they come out at Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Are those folks trying to kill me? :angel:

Because I am a dietbetic, I am ever mindful of foods high in natural sugar. And sweet potatoes are one of those foods. The only time I will eat marshnallow is at Easter when the Peeps come out. I buy a box of eight, eat them all at once and get the sugar needs out of my system for the year. I love those Peeps! Now they come out at Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Are those folks trying to kill me? :angel:
I'm diabetic too, and I don't eat things like this very often. Fortunately my diabetes is well controlled through Metformin and diet, but I don't want to take anything for granted and I try not to go overboard very often. :cool:

There are lots of dishes in many cultures which would be undesirable if eaten on a regular basis, but are family or cultural traditions for certain celebrations. Saying that something is a dish fit only for pigs is demeaning, regardless if it isn't aimed at anyone in particular. There is nothing wrong with you not liking something for whatever reason (and I understand the diabetes issue - my wife is type 2), but to lambaste something like that is disservice to those looking for assistance or simple opinions rather than judgments.

By the way, I don't like those sugary sweet marshmallow yams either. We had sweet potatoes for our Thanksgiving dinner, cubed and roasted with butter and just a touch of maple syrup. Sweet potatoes or yams are one of the easiest things to grow here, so they are always available, and we have them often, usually just baked.

Back on topic, I was never a Twinkie fan, but I did like the plain old creme filled Hostess Cupcakes, and I loved Suzy-Q's. Haven't had anything of theirs for years now, and don't really miss it. Such things are hard to come by here in the Out Islands. Our sweets are mostly home made.

There is a reason a Twinkie was chosen for a time capsule. I am a label reader. I am sure when that time capsule is opened, it will still be edible. :angel:

There is a reason a Twinkie was chosen for a time capsule.:angel:

Because the organizers had poor judgment?

I must have had a deprived childhood, because I don't think I ever had a Twinkie until I was at least out of high school. Mom was a chocoholic, so on the very rare occasion that we had sweets which weren't homemade, they usually had some sort of chocolate in them. Mom always said that it was silly to waste calories on sweets which didn't contain chocolate, usually chocolate on chocolate. My brother and sister got that gene from her, but it seems to have skipped me, as I like a more diverse range of desserts when I'm in a sweet mood.

That said, Twinkies aren't on that list, but I did make some yummy oatmeal raisin cookies after posting in this thread last night.

Because the organizers had poor judgment?

I must have had a deprived childhood, because I don't think I ever had a Twinkie until I was at least out of high school. Mom was a chocoholic, so on the very rare occasion that we had sweets which weren't homemade, they usually had some sort of chocolate in them. Mom always said that it was silly to waste calories on sweets which didn't contain chocolate, usually chocolate on chocolate. My brother and sister got that gene from her, but it seems to have skipped me, as I like a more diverse range of desserts when I'm in a sweet mood.

That said, Twinkies aren't on that list, but I did make some yummy oatmeal raisin cookies after posting in this thread last night.

Those are my daughter's favorite cookie. Anything with raisins, she will gobble right up. I drizzle some glaze over them. Sometimes I will put a drop of orange or lemon extract in the glaze. :angel:

On the topic of sweet potatoes, I made mine mashed with butter, maple syrup, fresh nutmeg and BACON this year. That was pretty yummy.

Twinkies, ick. Ring dings and cupcakes were decent, but I haven't had one in years and if memory serves the last one I had was gross. Wouldn't touch them nowadays. And as I much as I'd be happy to see them go from a health perspective, I would imagine someone will make them again. I can only hope for a healthier version.

Oh and if anyone wants it, I posted a homemade recipe not too long ago on my FB page. Happy to share.

And as I much as I'd be happy to see them go from a health perspective, I would imagine someone will make them again. I can only hope for a healthier version.

Not sure just how you make a healthy creme filled cake. Sort of an oxymoron. The need is for moderation when you choose to eat less healthy items, not making everything in the world a health food. It comes down to personal responsibility, not legislated health.

So, some people must have acquired a taste for it :LOL:
I like sweet potatoes this way occasionally. Last week my class made sweet potato casserole with mashed sweet potatoes, a little brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg & pineapple spread in a 9x13 pan, sprinkled with mini-marshmallows and baked for 25 min. It's a little sweet but it took the place of pumpkin pie with whipped cream in our dinner. Some people make sweet potato pie, similar to pumpkin pie. I like sweet potato just about any way you can make them, but usually just baked with butter on top. The marshmallow version is only once or twice a year just like our Waldorf Salad (apples, celery, nuts, marshmallows, mayo) is usually just for holidays in my family.:chef: My sister is diabetic so she just factors what she eats into her daily food & medicine plan and doesn't over eat on the sugary stuff even though she likes to make sugary foods.

Geez. I said healthier not healthy. It's still a treat to be enjoyed in moderation. Flour, sugar, marscapone...Personally I wouldn't eat a store bought Twinkie because of the crap in it, not even in moderation.

And you'll get no policing from me, eat what you like. I simply offered up the recipe for anyone that was interested.

Not sure just how you make a healthy creme filled cake. Sort of an oxymoron. The need is for moderation when you choose to eat less healthy items, not making everything in the world a health food. It comes down to personal responsibility, not legislated health.

I am tired of folks tryinig to tell me how to eat healthy. I am an adult and it is my choice for what I choose to eat. I don't need any laws telling me what to eat. I always knew that McDonald's and Burger King were not healthy foods. That is why I never developed a habit of being a regular customer of theirs. If they were lucky, they saw my face maybe twice a year. And any time to this day, if I buy a soda, it is always a small one. With lots of ice. I like sucking on the cubes. :angel:

On the topic of sweet potatoes, I made mine mashed with butter, maple syrup, fresh nutmeg and BACON this year. That was pretty yummy.

Twinkies, ick. Ring dings and cupcakes were decent, but I haven't had one in years and if memory serves the last one I had was gross. Wouldn't touch them nowadays. And as I much as I'd be happy to see them go from a health perspective, I would imagine someone will make them again. I can only hope for a healthier version.

Oh and if anyone wants it, I posted a homemade recipe not too long ago on my FB page. Happy to share.

Why not post it here so those of us who do not use Facebook can try it, too?

This pretty much says it all. Sad, but true. :)

img_1212168_0_218fde5c96a21cc972d8bf0d2e952ea8.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom