"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 11-24-2012, 11:59 AM   #61
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I love sweet potatoes plain, I love them with butter, I love them with butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon, and I love them topped with crusty browned marshmallows.

Are the marshmallow covered sweet potatoes very sweet? Yes. Is it a dish I would want to eat more than a couple times a year? Not really, but I do enjoy them on the holidays.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:33 PM   #62
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
I love sweet potatoes plain, I love them with butter, I love them with butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon, and I love them topped with crusty browned marshmallows.

Are the marshmallow covered sweet potatoes very sweet? Yes. Is it a dish I would want to eat more than a couple times a year? Not really, but I do enjoy them on the holidays.
Because I am a dietbetic, I am ever mindful of foods high in natural sugar. And sweet potatoes are one of those foods. The only time I will eat marshnallow is at Easter when the Peeps come out. I buy a box of eight, eat them all at once and get the sugar needs out of my system for the year. I love those Peeps! Now they come out at Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Are those folks trying to kill me?

Old 11-24-2012, 01:59 PM   #63
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Because I am a dietbetic, I am ever mindful of foods high in natural sugar. And sweet potatoes are one of those foods. The only time I will eat marshnallow is at Easter when the Peeps come out. I buy a box of eight, eat them all at once and get the sugar needs out of my system for the year. I love those Peeps! Now they come out at Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Are those folks trying to kill me?
I'm diabetic too, and I don't eat things like this very often. Fortunately my diabetes is well controlled through Metformin and diet, but I don't want to take anything for granted and I try not to go overboard very often.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:47 PM   #64
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
Ky,
That are people who absolutely love sweet potatoes prepared this way!
I wonder if they were brought up eating it?
Old 11-24-2012, 09:56 PM   #65
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
I wonder if they were brought up eating it?
Most likely. If you gave them just a baked sweet potato, they probaably wouldn't like it. They would want that extra sweetness that the marshmallows and brown sugar give the dish.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:47 PM   #66
Head Chef

There are lots of dishes in many cultures which would be undesirable if eaten on a regular basis, but are family or cultural traditions for certain celebrations. Saying that something is a dish fit only for pigs is demeaning, regardless if it isn't aimed at anyone in particular. There is nothing wrong with you not liking something for whatever reason (and I understand the diabetes issue - my wife is type 2), but to lambaste something like that is disservice to those looking for assistance or simple opinions rather than judgments.

By the way, I don't like those sugary sweet marshmallow yams either. We had sweet potatoes for our Thanksgiving dinner, cubed and roasted with butter and just a touch of maple syrup. Sweet potatoes or yams are one of the easiest things to grow here, so they are always available, and we have them often, usually just baked.

Back on topic, I was never a Twinkie fan, but I did like the plain old creme filled Hostess Cupcakes, and I loved Suzy-Q's. Haven't had anything of theirs for years now, and don't really miss it. Such things are hard to come by here in the Out Islands. Our sweets are mostly home made.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:05 PM   #67
Chef Extraordinaire

There is a reason a Twinkie was chosen for a time capsule. I am a label reader. I am sure when that time capsule is opened, it will still be edible.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:08 AM   #68
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
There is a reason a Twinkie was chosen for a time capsule.
Because the organizers had poor judgment?

I must have had a deprived childhood, because I don't think I ever had a Twinkie until I was at least out of high school. Mom was a chocoholic, so on the very rare occasion that we had sweets which weren't homemade, they usually had some sort of chocolate in them. Mom always said that it was silly to waste calories on sweets which didn't contain chocolate, usually chocolate on chocolate. My brother and sister got that gene from her, but it seems to have skipped me, as I like a more diverse range of desserts when I'm in a sweet mood.

That said, Twinkies aren't on that list, but I did make some yummy oatmeal raisin cookies after posting in this thread last night.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #69
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Because the organizers had poor judgment?

I must have had a deprived childhood, because I don't think I ever had a Twinkie until I was at least out of high school. Mom was a chocoholic, so on the very rare occasion that we had sweets which weren't homemade, they usually had some sort of chocolate in them. Mom always said that it was silly to waste calories on sweets which didn't contain chocolate, usually chocolate on chocolate. My brother and sister got that gene from her, but it seems to have skipped me, as I like a more diverse range of desserts when I'm in a sweet mood.

That said, Twinkies aren't on that list, but I did make some yummy oatmeal raisin cookies after posting in this thread last night.
Those are my daughter's favorite cookie. Anything with raisins, she will gobble right up. I drizzle some glaze over them. Sometimes I will put a drop of orange or lemon extract in the glaze.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #70
Assistant Cook

On the topic of sweet potatoes, I made mine mashed with butter, maple syrup, fresh nutmeg and BACON this year. That was pretty yummy.

Twinkies, ick. Ring dings and cupcakes were decent, but I haven't had one in years and if memory serves the last one I had was gross. Wouldn't touch them nowadays. And as I much as I'd be happy to see them go from a health perspective, I would imagine someone will make them again. I can only hope for a healthier version.

Oh and if anyone wants it, I posted a homemade recipe not too long ago on my FB page. Happy to share.