"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 11-28-2012, 03:54 PM   #71
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slitke View Post
And as I much as I'd be happy to see them go from a health perspective, I would imagine someone will make them again. I can only hope for a healthier version.
Not sure just how you make a healthy creme filled cake. Sort of an oxymoron. The need is for moderation when you choose to eat less healthy items, not making everything in the world a health food. It comes down to personal responsibility, not legislated health.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:39 PM   #72
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
So, some people must have acquired a taste for it
I like sweet potatoes this way occasionally. Last week my class made sweet potato casserole with mashed sweet potatoes, a little brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg & pineapple spread in a 9x13 pan, sprinkled with mini-marshmallows and baked for 25 min. It's a little sweet but it took the place of pumpkin pie with whipped cream in our dinner. Some people make sweet potato pie, similar to pumpkin pie. I like sweet potato just about any way you can make them, but usually just baked with butter on top. The marshmallow version is only once or twice a year just like our Waldorf Salad (apples, celery, nuts, marshmallows, mayo) is usually just for holidays in my family. My sister is diabetic so she just factors what she eats into her daily food & medicine plan and doesn't over eat on the sugary stuff even though she likes to make sugary foods.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #73
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
Things that make you say yuck! And I thought sweet potatoes covered with marshmallows was gross.
+1
Old 11-28-2012, 06:07 PM   #74
Assistant Cook

Geez. I said healthier not healthy. It's still a treat to be enjoyed in moderation. Flour, sugar, marscapone...Personally I wouldn't eat a store bought Twinkie because of the crap in it, not even in moderation.

And you'll get no policing from me, eat what you like. I simply offered up the recipe for anyone that was interested.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:25 PM   #75
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Not sure just how you make a healthy creme filled cake. Sort of an oxymoron. The need is for moderation when you choose to eat less healthy items, not making everything in the world a health food. It comes down to personal responsibility, not legislated health.
I am tired of folks tryinig to tell me how to eat healthy. I am an adult and it is my choice for what I choose to eat. I don't need any laws telling me what to eat. I always knew that McDonald's and Burger King were not healthy foods. That is why I never developed a habit of being a regular customer of theirs. If they were lucky, they saw my face maybe twice a year. And any time to this day, if I buy a soda, it is always a small one. With lots of ice. I like sucking on the cubes.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:51 PM   #76
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slitke View Post
On the topic of sweet potatoes, I made mine mashed with butter, maple syrup, fresh nutmeg and BACON this year. That was pretty yummy.

Twinkies, ick. Ring dings and cupcakes were decent, but I haven't had one in years and if memory serves the last one I had was gross. Wouldn't touch them nowadays. And as I much as I'd be happy to see them go from a health perspective, I would imagine someone will make them again. I can only hope for a healthier version.

Oh and if anyone wants it, I posted a homemade recipe not too long ago on my FB page. Happy to share.
Why not post it here so those of us who do not use Facebook can try it, too?
Old 11-28-2012, 10:04 PM   #77
Assistant Cook

I thought you'd never ask. :)

Found this when some of my friends were lamenting about the passing of the twinkster.

http://grist.org/article/2010-03-22-...uff-your-face/
Old 11-29-2012, 11:01 AM   #78
Wine Guy

This pretty much says it all. Sad, but true.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:39 AM   #79
Executive Chef

yes, on both counts. :(

i wonder, is this supreme indifference fear based....
Old 11-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #80
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Vit and Steve, we seem to be on the same page.