"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 12-16-2015, 09:07 AM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

The attraction of Flipboard is that you make it what you want.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:26 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

I've been using Feedly for a long time for a similar purpose as Flipboard. Flipboard does seem to have an interesting feature - integrating Facebook and Twitter feeds. It also seems to have an enhanced ability to entice one down the rabbit hole ...

Old 12-16-2015, 10:36 AM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I've been using Feedly for a long time for a similar purpose as Flipboard. Flipboard does seem to have an interesting feature - integrating Facebook and Twitter feeds. It also seems to have an enhanced ability to entice one down the rabbit hole ...
Indeed it does.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:59 AM   #14
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
As a side note to the whole tech universe...

I was at the Apple Store Monday to get some help with synching my phone and Mac. I had screwed it up. Sitting there waiting for my appointment I noticed that 5 of the 6 customers at the Genius Bar were gray-haired old men. I wonder what that means...
It means that when I retire in a few years, I'll still be able to find part time work. Folks my age typically got involved with tech at a time when you had to be at least reasonably code and computer savvy to even be able to use it. Kids today just expect things to work perfectly out of the box and have no interest in understanding any of the nuts and bolts.

More job security for me.

By the way, I've been using this social media stuff since the days of "bulletin boards", CompuServe and AOL. Facebook and Twitter are just the newer kids on the block.

If you were to ask my wife, she would probably tell you I'm obsessed with tech. These days doing away my Smartphone would be akin to cutting off an arm.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:03 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
It means that when I retire in a few years, I'll still be able to find part time work. Folks my age typically got involved with tech at a time when you had to be at least reasonably code and computer savvy to even be able to use it. Kids today just expect things to work perfectly out of the box and have no interest in understanding any of the nuts and bolts.

More job security for me.

By the way, I've been using this social media stuff since the days of "bulletin boards", CompuServe and AOL. Facebook and Twitter are just the newer kids on the block.

If you were to ask my wife, she would probably tell you I'm obsessed with tech. These days doing away my Smartphone would be akin to cutting off an arm.
Right there with you, Steve! The tzatziki recipe I still use came from a Greek woman on a CompuServe recipe board
Old 12-17-2015, 12:10 PM   #16
Head Chef

I spend a lot of time on Facebook. Don't need Twitter to really mess up my day.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:35 PM   #17
Master Chef

I once joined Twitter, several years ago, and had no followers for weeks. Since then, I've never been back on that site.

You Tube is dangerous. In the past I've purchased a lot of stuff that I didn't need from watching their videos. But some, very useful. Recently I've been rekindled by watching many ultralight backpacking videos. From that, I've acquired several new gear to replace some of my old camping gear. Got a few pieces of titanium cookware and a multifuel stove. Now, I think I also need to replace my old, heavy backpack and sleep system.... Never ends.....damn videos.... LOL...
Old 12-17-2015, 02:46 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I once joined Twitter, several years ago, and had no followers for weeks. Since then, I've never been back on that site...

I don't expect followers on Twitter. I follow others for information. National and local sports reporters, foodie sites, etc.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:51 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I don't expect followers on Twitter. I follow others for information. National and local sports reporters, foodie sites, etc.
Well.....I expected at least some friends to follow me.... When that didn't happen I decided that Twitter was not for me...
Old 12-17-2015, 04:13 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Well.....I expected at least some friends to follow me.... When that didn't happen I decided that Twitter was not for me...

Roadfix, I would have followed you if I was on Twitter. So far I'm not though.