Vegan Bridezilla Uninvites Omnivores To Her Wedding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Full Mass Catholic weddings? :sleep:

My wedding was Lutheran. It lasted 20 minutes. The reception was great -- two kegs and who knows how much wine. Great food, too.

The most interesting wedding I have ever attended was a Greek Orthodox wedding. My wife and I didn't understand any of it, but it was a beautiful ceremony. At the reception, the Priest and his wife sat at our table, and explained it to us.

CD

Well, yes, "full" masses. I know it's difficult to concentrate that long for some folks, but if you were raised in my family, you would feel my dad's sense of comfort, assurance, love, and knowledge in the rites and rituals of our faith.

Last edited:
Well, yes, "full" masses. I know it's difficult to concentrate that long for some folks, but if you were raised in my family, you would feel my dad's sense of comfort, love, and knowledge in the rites and rituals of our faith.

American Lutherans, on the other hand, have a long-standing ritual called "the Pot-Luck Supper." :yum:

I'm not sure if Lutherans invented it, but they definitely perfected it. :chef:

CD

Last edited:
We went to one Greek Orthodox wedding, cd. Really interesting ceremony. Didn't stick around for that reception, though, since that was #2 of three weddings that day. We opted for the Irish-Polish reception. THAT was a good one!

...The hallmark of Catholicism, as far as I can tell, is to create guilt and lecture everyone on how to behave...Sorry, CG. That's been my experience, not to mention some of my relatives who were not crazy about the hours-long wedding masses and formerly Catholic friends who got tired of the guilt trip.
I'm sorry that this has been your lifetime experience, GG. It, generally speaking, hasn't been mine. I guess it depends on the parish, the pastor, and the teachers. I'm glad I grew up in my Catholic parishes and not ones like you describe. :ermm: And for the record, our wedding Mass was just a bit over an hour. Practically every Mass I've been to has been an hour - unless you're talking about Confirmation for lots of kids, 200 First Communicants, or a funeral when the recently deceased is lovingly eulogized by every living relative (that's how they go on Himself's very large family's side).

Then again, maybe you need to be born into it. ;) I dunno.

American Lutherans, on the other hand, have a long-standing ritual called "the Pot-Luck Supper." :yum:

I'm not sure if Lutherans invented it, but they definitely perfected it. :chef:

CD

Well yes, they would nail the invitations for the suppers to the church door...

It got to be a thing.

Lol.

At least you got the joke.

Do you know how to make holy water?

Boil the hell out of it.

I had two weddings myself; our commitment ceremony in ‘00, and our legal wedding in ‘08.

The commitment ceremony was hosted by my parents in their backyard. It was catered by the guests (kind of a potluck thing). It was a blast! Since it wasn’t legal, we needed no certified officiant. A dear family friend guided us through our vows. There was great food, music (recorded, not live), dancing, and lots of booze. And the officiant and his partner reserved a night for us at a very posh hotel in Newport Beach.

Our legal wedding was at the Orange County courthouse in Santa Ana. Just us, my folks, and two good friends who flew down from Portland to be our witnesses. And of course the justice of the peace. Oddly, it was much more emotional for me than the commitment ceremony, perhaps because it was legal and more solemn. No party or reception; we all went out for lunch in Laguna Beach, and went for a walk along the beach afterward, in Heisler Park. A really beautiful day.

We had 2 weddings ourselves. Prior to the first wedding ( a few weeks before) we met with the rabbi, who ensured us , not to worry and he would take care of everything. We just needed to show up. So, the day of the wedding, we showed up. HE met with us and our families just prior to the actual ceremony. He went over the basics of what was going to happen. Then he turned to us and asked us for the marriage license. Our reply was, we thought you were going to take care of everything :) Anyway, we went ahead of everything and he performed the ceremony, but we were not legally married . So we went on our honeymoon. Lived in sin for 2 weeks. When we returned, we got our marriage licencse and had a second ceremony at the temple, which made it official . The look on the rabbi's face when we told him we didn't have the license was priceless. His first comment was , well, then I can't marry you. To which I said, there are 200 people out there who came expecting to see us get married, so figure something out .

Speaking of two weddings, well, so did we. We were married by a conservative rabbi, big to do. Unfortunately according to Jewish law that marriage doesn't count. When we became observant, we had to get married for real this time, well second time.

Back
Top Bottom