"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 05-05-2012, 06:51 PM   #61
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
What about canned chickens? Surely there can't be any derogatory issues associated with something like this.....
That is fantastic in a disturbing sort of way.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:14 PM   #62
Executive Chef

Trust me Frank, they're evil, they're rank, they're foul fowl!

Old 05-05-2012, 08:31 PM   #63
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
What about canned chickens? Surely there can't be any derogatory issues associated with something like this.....
That was the secret of my Paternal Grandmother's chicken and dumplings...
Old 05-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #64
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
O. M. G. !!!!!!!

I once bought a canned whole chicken to take camping as a sort of meal of last resort,.
You are a better person than me.....
Old 05-05-2012, 09:26 PM   #65
Executive Chef

Quote:
You are a better person than me.....
I was inexperienced then. I didn't know how gross canned chickens were. I only thought, "I can take this into the back country and make a chicken dinner."

I knew it wouldn't be as good as fresh chicken. I didn't know it would gag maggots. I'll happily take canned chunk chicken or canned tuna next time.

I hope to explore one day: camping recipes made wholly from non-perishable ingredients. For people who want to 4x4 into the back country and stay longer than ice lasts.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:00 AM   #66
Head Chef

You know, I've been trying to remember. I know when I was a child, my mother always had a canned chicken in the pantry. I remember it distinctly in the way that children are sometime struck by something they see as odd. I was sort of fascinated by the notion that you could open a can and there was a whole chicken - ta-da!. But I cannot for anything remember her ever actually opening that can and making something with the chicken. Maybe it was one of those things that seemed like a good idea at the time to have something to fall back on in a pinch, but the pinch never got that bad.

But I must say, I'm disappointed in The Lobster's apparent shrinking from using the actual out-of-the-can photo of that same canned chicken. It's ..... ummm... educational.

To be fair, I guess we have to acknowledge that they probably did about as good a job canning that chicken as anyone could. There's just no way a whole canned chicken's going to look like anything other than a week-old drowning victim. But considering that the photo on the can can't possibly represent something they did with one of their decanned chickens, it can only be the chicken before they stuffed it in the can. So that was a damn shame to do that to what appears to have started as a pretty good roast chicken.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:14 AM   #67
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC View Post
To be fair, I guess we have to acknowledge that they probably did about as good a job canning that chicken as anyone could.
Easy for you to say when you're not at the bitter end of a 4 hour 4x4 trail and nothing else to eat. I had my dog with me. It's one of the few times I've envied his dinner! In fact since then I've tasted a few varieties of canned dog food (before feeding it to my precious) and it's not bad at all. Easily better than that damned canned chicken! It was nasty!
Old 05-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #68
Head Chef

I don't normally feed canned dog food. But yesterday, they had a coupon. For buying a bag of one of the better dry foods, you got two cans of their can food free. I got one lamb and one chicken. Had to choose in each case between white and brown rice. When the time comes, I'll have to see how they taste. More interesting, we'll see how he thinks they taste.

This is the snooty dog who won't touch his dry food until it's been "enhanced" with a good grated cheese (grana padano or pecorino romano) or with bacon drippings. And if you don't stir it in real well, he'll manage to eat around the untreated parts.
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #69
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC View Post
I don't normally feed canned dog food. But yesterday, they had a coupon. For buying a bag of one of the better dry foods, you got two cans of their can food free. I got one lamb and one chicken. Had to choose in each case between white and brown rice. When the time comes, I'll have to see how they taste. More interesting, we'll see how he thinks they taste.

This is the snooty dog who won't touch his dry food until it's been "enhanced" with a good grated cheese (grana padano or pecorino romano) or with bacon drippings. And if you don't stir it in real well, he'll manage to eat around the untreated parts.
I have a cat like that!
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2012, 11:50 AM   #70
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
GLC & PF: Such good looking furry friends.

My cat is weird. He only wants cat food. He adores "tuna water" and will eat tuna, but that's it for big ape food.

Tags
chicken, other