"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 11-26-2011, 06:01 AM   #21
Senior Cook

A chef called Lorraine Pascal makes me want to bake, she makes it look so easy. Good kitchen equipment would help.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:22 PM   #22
Assistant Cook

I have to say, America's Test Kitchen and Cook's Country definitely make me want to get up and make something. Sure, the shows are stuffy - in that public television way - and not as fun or exciting as most food network shows. Then again, it's not all fluff, gimmicks and catchphrases instead of actual cooking (I'm looking at you, Guy Fieri).

I like the taste and equipment testing too and as I learned how to cook on my own, these two shows were probably most valuable to me other than maybe Good Eats.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:11 AM   #23
Executive Chef

The best cooking show on TV in my opinion is America's Test Kitchen. I've gotten more perceptive analysis of cooking on that program than on any other TV show. Plus the show's hosts are down to earth and not acting all impressed with themselves. (I didn't think the show was stuffy at all.)

The most enjoyable foodie show I've ever seen is Spain on the Road Again, a show that told me not all that much about cooking but a whole bunch about eating! I regret that foodie programs will probably never find a more congenial cast than this program. I could almost cry knowing this series is out of production. I'm glad I saw almost every show when it was in production and/or in syndication.

I wish I could hang out with the cast of either or both of these shows. But alas...
Old 01-14-2012, 10:39 AM   #24
Assistant Cook

I love them all....

but the Food Paradise series like pizza, steaks, diners, breakfast, etc makes me want to drive an hour to Orange county and try my bookmarks on Yelp. And The Best Thing I ever Ate is lovely too.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #25
Executive Chef

kimchi chronicles always makes me ravenously hungry--and oftentimes for foods i've never even tasted! i'm left jonesing for fresh seafood, all kinds, after every show. what a tease! i'm hooked....
Old 01-17-2012, 09:10 AM   #26
Master Chef

I have been enjoying Rachel Allen, simple foods with no special equipment,a nice change.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:54 PM   #27
Assistant Cook

I enjoy Rachel Ray alot.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:20 PM   #28
Senior Cook

Im a big Alton Brown fan. I just love his scientific approach. Every time I watch his show I want to try his recipe.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:52 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

my wife is a fan of rr as she learned to cook from her cookbooks. (my wife learned from rr's cookbooks, just to be accurate. you never know).

alton brown's "good eats" is on the air at 11am est on the food channel. my dvr is filling up with his shows. that, and "america's test kitchen".

speaking of atk, i love the personal emails from vermont that chris kimball sends you when you sign up for info on their website. i feel like i have a snooty gay buddy in vermont, serruptitiously trying to tell me that his life is better than mine, lol.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:01 AM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Vermont is a beautiful state. Unfortunately, their cost of living is even higher than Massachusetts. They cherish their small town mentality. Even in the middle of their "big cities." They don't want progress. No big box stores for them. Their downtown and Main Streets have a plethera of homespun stores and petrified in the past. Think Norman Rockwell. Isn't it more fun to go out in a horse and sleigh than to plow the roads?

Yet they are probably the most liberal thinking folks around. Child molesters get off with minimal sentencing. Cows have to be milked before a call for a murder that has been commited is answered. They still hold town meetings where the raising of hands counts as votes. Why waste the paper to write your vote down in privacy.

For those that live near the border with NH, they cross over to do all their shopping. Having said all this, I have to side with them on the big box stores. And with the limitatons of chain restaurants. No Burger King or Wendy's for them. Want a burger? Go to the local diner. For that first cup of coffee and to compare notes with your neighbors before your workday starts.

Having said all this. I love Vermont.

Tags
cook