Which Celebrity TV Chef is actually the BEST CHEF?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Goodweed, Batali is gone from TVFN except for an occasional rerun. and no doubt if they could find an untalented Japanese cook, Morimoto would be replaced, too... :wacko:

The Food Network has become an entertainment spectical rather than a place to really learn new skills. As such, it is successful. But if I wanted entertainment, then I'd be watching Batman or something.

Then again, this is the place I come to for new ideas and inspiration. I do love to assist others too. Maybe we could all throw together 10 bucks and create the Discuss Cooking channel. It would certainly be more genuine.:LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

The Food Network has become an entertainment spectical rather than a place to really learn new skills. As such, it is successful. But if I wanted entertainment, then I'd be watching Batman or something.

Then again, this is the place I come to for new ideas and inspiration. I do love to assist others too. Maybe we could all throw together 10 bucks and create the Discuss Cooking channel. It would certainly be more genuine.:LOL:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Here's an article in the NYT that I think applies:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/02/m...&sq=Out of the Kitchen, Onto the Couch&st=cse
(it does require a free registration)

Here's an article in the NYT that I think applies:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/02/m...&sq=Out of the Kitchen, Onto the Couch&st=cse
(it does require a free registration)

I still make most everything from scratch that I can, including egg noodles and barbecue sauce. But I don't butcher animals or fowl (though I have and so am no stranger to the task). The article was entertaining and probably speaks to many of us here. I think that though we seem to be few, judging from the numbers of people who visit this site, we aren't archaic, and still represent a sizable portion of the world citizenry. I do have to admit though, that most people I come into contact with do very little cooking. I have changed that in a few of my co-workers, who have at least managed to make mac & cheese from a box, and who have learned to use the Foreman Grill.:ROFLMAO: Still, I am something of an oddity, though an appreciated oddity at pot lucks and gatherings.

As the article states, though so many people don't cook, they still like to eat well.;)

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Sara moulton

FYI Everyone:

Not sure if Sara Moulton actually got bumped off FNTV or quit(?), but she went on to maybe greater stuff?!! Check out the masthead of GOURMET Magazine, I checked their current issue of September 2009. For some time now she has been and is the Executive Chef of the Cooking Arts Center at Gourmet Magazine in NY. Somewhere I read she's so busy running their various shows, doing guest stints all over the country, and cooking, which she does very well; I have to wonder if she has time to miss the Food Network.

She was and is a teacher, as was Julia Child.

Best to all;

Pennsy;)

It's such a tough call! Ina is a tremendously gifted chef and has made scads of money by cooking - the real "acid" test. Michael Chiarello's cooking makes my mouth water. While he created spectacular foods by cooking, one of his flagship creations HAS to be this masterful assemblage of the Ultimate Cheese Course. What about Anne Burrell? Daisy Martinez?

TVFN should start plastering THESE faces all over the place and maybe nuke some of the talking heads.

FYI Everyone:

Not sure if Sara Moulton actually got bumped off FNTV or quit(?), but she went on to maybe greater stuff?!! Check out the masthead of GOURMET Magazine, I checked their current issue of September 2009. For some time now she has been and is the Executive Chef of the Cooking Arts Center at Gourmet Magazine in NY. Somewhere I read she's so busy running their various shows, doing guest stints all over the country, and cooking, which she does very well; I have to wonder if she has time to miss the Food Network.

She was and is a teacher, as was Julia Child.

Best to all;

Pennsy;)

FYI: Sara Moulton was the Executive Chef of Gourmet long before she went on FNTV. She was quite able to do both, thank you very much. Don't let FNTV off the hook!

Correction Received

FYI: Sara Moulton was the Executive Chef of Gourmet long before she went on FNTV. She was quite able to do both, thank you very much. Don't let FNTV off the hook!

I sit corrected!

No contest, Ms. Moulton was and is a busy lady no matter how/where/when she started. She was an early featured cook on FNTV when I first started watching. The Food Network programs featuring the big crowds, bands and the hoopla of the Emeril ilk got me totally turned OFF on the Food Network. Pardon the pun. FNTV continues to turn out programs peopled with 'carney performers,' peddling entertainment. I seldom watch anymore.:sick:

For me, Emeri, Sara Moulton and Mario Batali are my personal favourites. I also like James Barber aka the Urban Peasant.

Pennsy I feel the same way about FN and I have the "pleasure" of getting something even worse than FN... it's FN Canada so the shows I enjoyed and chefs I learned from back when the network was about cooking and not as you put it so we.. "carney performers" I was no longer able to watch when they took over. I don't know what the US food network is like but here the shows that are truly about cooking and learning a new technique are few and far between. Sad.

Definitely Ina Garten! I don't much like her- I'm SOOO sick of hearing about Jeffrey- but almost every one of her recipes that I've tried have been very good.

I've eaten in multiple Bobby Flay's places and multiple Emeril's places.

Emeril wins imho.

Bobby Flay makes really excellent sauces - my generalized (always a dangerous thing) impression is they rely on the sauce to substitute for a really good dish - i.e. the underlying food is a bit insipid / uninspired.

Pepin......without a doubt. He is the closest to being a modern master our generation has.

Giada has horrible knife skills. She appears to decide what she wants to make on her show then scampers off to read about how to do it. That said she is very nice to talk with and quite charming. I simply think she is in the wrong business.

Last edited by a moderator:
would have to give my vote to Anthony Bourdain...he seems to care more about the food then the fame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom