Which Celebrity TV Chef is actually the BEST CHEF?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Steven Raichlen! kind of dull, and really doesn't have much of a tv personality, but his food is out of this world. Just look at the show, he has 2 or 3 smokers going while he is showing how to cook another. I would love to meet this man.

If you don't know Ina, you shouldn't put thoughts in her head that you don't know are there.

She's actually a very kind and sweet person, and I don't think she looks down at anyone.

FWIW, many of the personalities cited in this thread are not chefs at all. They are TV cooking personalities. I wonder if that is what the OP meant, or did they mean Chefs in the strict sense of the word?

are you a personal friend. sorry i call them like i see them. she really thinks she is all that. her and her strange little "friends":sick:

Steven Raichlen! kind of dull, and really doesn't have much of a tv personality, but his food is out of this world. Just look at the show, he has 2 or 3 smokers going while he is showing how to cook another. I would love to meet this man.
I have a couple of his books. He has a lot of good information on grilling and smoking and several of his recipes have become favorites here at Casa de Hoot.

There are several that have grown to grate on me. Rachel Ray being at the top of the list. Ina can go away along with the Neelys. The worst "personality" though has got to be Martha Stewart! What a piece of work! I'll never forget how she treated that contestant on Next Food Network Star, Kelsey, who happened to be a big fan of hers. Her being a guest judge, I found it appalling when she made a comment about not usually eating food like that and refusing to try it. I really hate snobs that think they are better than others.:mad:

Why can't they bring back folks like David Rosengarten or David Ruggerio!;)

Craig

This does seem like an unfair question. Your favorites depend on the kind of food you like.

I didn't watch Bobby Flay until he started the Throwdown show which I love. His food up until then was mostly grilled which I don't do, plus being all about heat. I don't like spicy foods any more, and roasting and peeling peppers isn't going to happen for me anytime soon.

I don't watch Giada because I don't spend money on Panchetta which she seems to use in everything, plus I don't really care that much for Italian cooking. She also needs to work on her wardrobe. I find it unpleasant watching her cook with her cleavage hanging out. It's not appetizing. The way the show is filmed, the cleavage is right in the middle of the screen.

I didn't watch Sandra Lee for a long time for the same reason, but she dresses more appropriately now and makes dishes I like.

The Neelys make some good dishes, but I often watch with the sound turned off. Too chatty.

I do watch Paula Deen a bit more because her dishes are most often the ones I will use as I'm a Southern gal who loves Southern food. I also like her directness. She makes me feel like she is talking to me. A lot of people won't like that though and those same people might not like me for the same reason. I don't have any problem being direct and to the point without beating around a bush.

I like Ina Garten, she does make some dishes that I would make and she comes across very pleasantly.

Last edited:
I'd fancy a meal prepared by any of the following: Hubert Keller, Jacques Pepin, Gordon Ramsey, Mario, Anne Burrell, Ming, Morimoto, probably Michael Symon too, though Giggles (our nickname for him from long, long ago when he hosted a show with Aaron Sanchez on FN) would definitely have to stay in the kitchen.

Last edited:
Love the show but I couldn't do it. My forte is looking at a recipe and knowing pretty much what it will taste like, and collecting good recipes. I'm not creative however.

I'd fancy a meal prepared by any of the following: Hubert Keller, Jacques Pepin, Gordon Ramsey, Mario, Anne Burrell, Ming, Morimoto, probably Michael Symon too, though Giggles (our nickname for him from long, long ago when he hosted a show with Aaron Sanchez on FN) would definitely have to stay in the kitchen.
I would eat with any of them but would add Michael Cirallo from Turlock love his foods. Ahhhhh napa what a treasure.
kades

this best chef thread makes for interesting reading. i know i'll be checking out some of the chefs receiving high marks in these blogs. jacques pepin is a perennial favorite of mine, and ramsay, bastianich, bourdain and ming are all top notch in my book. i don't at all care for eric ripert's personality though his cooking credentials seem to be above reproach. paula deen just plain gets on my nerves, besides which her cooking just doesn't often appeal to me.

Had the opportunity to sit up at Morimoto's bar in his restaurant in Philly several years ago with Baby Bro and SIL. Got the whatever the chef felt like special, which was horrendously expensive for 4, but what an amazing experience!

Had the opportunity to sit up at Morimoto's bar in his restaurant in Philly several years ago with Baby Bro and SIL. Got the whatever the chef felt like special, which was horrendously expensive for 4, but what an amazing experience!

you have a priceless lifetime family memory to keep. it would be a travesty to pass by a table such as that, no?

vitauta said:
you have a priceless lifetime family memory to keep. it would be a travesty to pass by a table such as that, no?

Even got a pic of us with Morimoto who was flashing a double peace sign! Indeed memorable.

Last edited:
best cook on TV

I like the cooking style of Chuck from "Chuck's Day Off." Jaque Pepin' can cook. Can't watch people like Rocco Dispirito or Gay Fieri, Neelys. I like America's Test Kitchen as far as cooking shows go. Haven't we all had enough of Gordon Ramsay? If you want to watch something funny, go to youtube and type "Little Gordon Ramsay." A kid impersonates Gordon in a 3 part series. It's priceless. One question...Why are Paula Dean and her two annoying sons popular? Oh...and what's up with that chick...ummm...Melissa D'Arabian or whatever her face is. They call themselves chefs but only guys like Mario Vitali and Anthony Bourdain and people like that ever really worked in real kitchens for any appreciable time. Bobby Flay doesn't impress me, personally. I like that Latina woman...the other one that's not Daisy. Anne Burell needs to stop making all those spazztic gestures when she tastes something...She also has to stop talking like kermit the frog....and saying things like..."makes me a happy, happy girl,,,thanks for coming, garlic......Brown food tastes good....Look at me mutlitasking....a little sprinky dink of salt....just give it a chop-o-lata.....etc etc etc....Anyway...there are tons of Celebrity "chefs" that are painful to watch. Oh...and for you Emeril fans, quit cheering every time he puts a splash of vino in something or applauding like idiots when he adds crushed garlic. So lame.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the cooking style of Chuck from "Chuck's Day Off." Jaque Pepin' can cook. Can't watch people like Rocco Dispirito or Gay Fieri, Neelys. I like America's Test Kitchen as far as cooking shows go. Haven't we all had enough of Gordon Ramsay? If you want to watch something funny, go to youtube and type "Little Gordon Ramsay." A kid impersonates Gordon in a 3 part series. It's priceless. One question...Why are Paula Dean and her two annoying sons popular? Oh...and what's up with that chick...ummm...Melissa D'Arabian or whatever her face is. They call themselves chefs but only guys like Mario Vitali and Anthony Bourdain and people like that ever really worked in real kitchens for any appreciable time. Bobby Flay doesn't impress me, personally. I like that Latina woman...the other one that's not Daisy. Anne Burell needs to stop making all those spazztic gestures when she tastes something...She also has to stop talking like kermit the frog....and saying things like..."makes me a happy, happy girl,,,thanks for coming, garlic......Brown food tastes good....Look at me mutlitasking....a little sprinky dink of salt....just give it a chop-o-lata.....etc etc etc....Anyway...there are tons of Celebrity "chefs" that are painful to watch. Oh...and for you Emeril fans, quit cheering every time he puts a splash of vino in something or applauding like idiots when he adds crushed garlic. So lame.

Wow, you're certainly a breath of fresh air.:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, you're certainly a breath of fresh air.:rolleyes:
Vagriller....I think you might like something I found while bopping around the internet....I believe if you type "Food Network TV parody," you'll find a site devoted to taking shots at Celebrity "chefs." Some pretty funny comments about the "talent" from Food Network.

I forgot to mention Lidia Bastianich (sp?) and Nick something-other.....umm...Nick (insert Italian last name here.) It's something like Nick Stravino. Anyway, they can cook and keep a food program interesting. I like Mario's knife skills. Ming also can work a knife beautifully. Ever see how Emeril preps? In my opinion, he doesn't hold a chefs knife properly. He puts his index finger extended out over the top of the blade. One's hand would tire quickly this way as well as compromise speed while chopping large quantities. It's just plain awkward. Maybe when he worked in kitchens in Portugal he had some game. These days, I just don't see it. Just because he became famous doesn't mean he has to let his cooking skills deteriorate. Maybe it's just me. Yan can cook is fun to watch with a knife. Anne Burell can handle a knife. She's annoying but has restaurant skills in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom