"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media
Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 10:25 PM   #151
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
You a Biba fan Michael?
YEP! I love her approach ... she is so much like grandma and my mom's older sister - she teaches without being "teachy". Lidia makes me want to hide my knuckles from Sister Mary-Elizabeth-Lidia and her knuckle-busting ruler!

Old 04-11-2009, 11:49 PM   #152
Executive Chef

for on the edge creativity, Mario Batali; for good solid chefing, Tyler Florence.

I also respect Flay, Simon, Cora, Morimoto, and Burrel. They've all come up thru the restaurant world and know their business.

There are lots of great chefs out there, many without the in your face personality TV demands. One great one here in my region is Chef David Banks of Harry's Savoy and Seafood Grills, Wilmington DE.

Old 04-12-2009, 06:15 AM   #153
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
Look for 3 books:

On Food and Cooking - The Science and Lore of the Kitchen - Harold McGee
The Curious Cook - Harold McGee
Cookwise - The Secrets of Cooking Revealed - Shirley O. Corriher

Those will give you about 90% of the "science" behind Alton's shows - plus a lot more info.
Ahh, perfect. I will have to pick those up. My whole career is science-based but cooking frequently escapes me. Spaghetti and meatballs are way more difficult than combining ADP and inorganic phosphate to make ATP.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:01 AM   #154
Cook

Send a message via MSN to Asmodean Send a message via Skype™ to Asmodean
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupDragon View Post
Jamie Oliver probably as he would be a good laugh.
Even though his tongue is too big for his mouth...
Agreed! Though Jacques Pépin is really very knowledgeable
Old 04-21-2009, 03:11 PM   #155
Senior Cook

I think after a while they all get On your last nerve, I can't that bleach head guy. he is so full of himself. I like bobby and tyler.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:23 PM   #156
Master Chef

I don't know if I can separate personality and ability. It would make a big difference for me who cooks my food RR or Giada, even if it waws the same recipe, the same everything. I doubt i would want to eat anything RR cooks, I just dislike her too much.

In all the truth this paot should have beeen made as a poll. Would have been much easier to answer.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:29 PM   #157
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
While I like many of Ina Garten's recipes, her television show & personality trigger my gag reflex. WAY over the top PHONY. All those dinner parties - especially the "surprise" ones - make me nuts. She's no actor, & neither are her vendors or guests. I wish she'd just stick to cooking & cut all that garbage out.
Yeah, for the first time I not only do not want to fight with you, Breezy (not that I ever did), but i want to hug you because you are SOOOO right about this show and the Ina. I can't stand her, she so fake.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:34 PM   #158
Master Chef

i saw on 'Chefography' that she wanted a show 'bout more than solely cooking. i'm not a fan, myself. not rippping on her, i just prefer other shows.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:50 PM   #159
Assistant Cook

I'm not sure if he would be considered a celebrity chef, but I would want John Besh to cook for me. I wanted him to win the next iron chef competition.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:02 PM   #160
Senior Cook

I really and I mean really love Bobby Flay. In my opinion he's an amazing chef, not at all a fan of his personality esp. on iron chef. But I frequently go online and check out his menus at Mesa or Bar America to see what's new. I make some of those dishes here at home and I am telling you..the man is a genius!