"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media
Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 11:56 AM   #181
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Mark Webster
I am a big fan of Iron Chef Japan not our version, but for an individual TV Chef I think it would need to be Alton Brown. He is a Culinary school graduate and so for the most part he isn't just winging it. I think his shows are very informative for foodies of all varieties.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:01 PM   #182
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Mark Webster
John Besh is great. I worked a James Beard event where he was one of the visiting Chefs.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:49 PM   #183
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Webster View Post
I am a big fan of Iron Chef Japan not our version, but for an individual TV Chef I think it would need to be Alton Brown. He is a Culinary school graduate and so for the most part he isn't just winging it. I think his shows are very informative for foodies of all varieties.

He is a graduate, but he has little to no experience outside of TV kitchens. He only went to Culinary school because he needed to to get on TV :) I like him on Iron Chef America, but only his commentary. His own show, Good Eats, grates on my nerves much in the same way as the Asian host on Iron Chef America ... and for the same reason, the overkill drama. Alton's personality rubs me wrong on Good Eats, it's too childish to me, informative yes, but it seems more like a kids cooking show.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:03 PM   #184
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefallin1309 View Post
He is a graduate, but he has little to no experience outside of TV kitchens. He only went to Culinary school because he needed to to get on TV :) I like him on Iron Chef America, but only his commentary. His own show, Good Eats, grates on my nerves much in the same way as the Asian host on Iron Chef America ... and for the same reason, the overkill drama. Alton's personality rubs me wrong on Good Eats, it's too childish to me, informative yes, but it seems more like a kids cooking show.
There's a fair bit of silliness for sure, but to me it comes of more like a nerdy cooking show than a kid's cooking show.

He's got that "Trekkie" feel to him, and there's a certain charm to it.

But you're right about his expertise level - he's a failed actor, that's why he delivers so well, but he's not a chef. His crew feeds him everything, and if you watch the show carefully, you'll notice

1) He does a lot of voiceover
2) He does very little of the actual cooking

(Youtube didn't like us publishing full feature length shows....)
Old 08-09-2009, 01:25 PM   #185
Cook

Send a message via ICQ to chiffonade Send a message via AIM to chiffonade Send a message via Yahoo to chiffonade
Anne Burrell is a professional chef and as a culinary talent absolutely cannot be ignored. She's a steamroller in the kitchen, unafraid to handle just about anything and is obviously great under pressure. She's kind of fun to watch and maybe even a little intimidating - but entirely worthwhile.

Ina Garten is a fantastic cook and though she uses some expensive ingredients, her techniques are entirely approachable.

Giada knows Italian food and is worth watching if that variety of food interests you.

Daisy Martinez is incredible in the Puerto Rican kitchen - her food is authentic and aside from a few specialized ingredients, it's totally do-able in a home kitchen. Daisy is the newest REAL chef to grace TVFN and I'm glad to see them get someone to demo food who has some real cooking chops. Daisy and Anne B. are a breath of fresh air in a schedule full of fluff and talking heads.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:41 PM   #186
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiffonade View Post
Anne Burrell is a professional chef and as a culinary talent absolutely cannot be ignored. She's a steamroller in the kitchen, unafraid to handle just about anything and is obviously great under pressure. She's kind of fun to watch and maybe even a little intimidating - but entirely worthwhile.
LOVE her! Love her show.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
Old 08-09-2009, 01:41 PM   #187
Head Chef

Yes, I agree! Anne seems to be the real deal.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:17 PM   #188
Cook

Send a message via ICQ to chiffonade Send a message via AIM to chiffonade Send a message via Yahoo to chiffonade
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
LOVE her! Love her show.
When she first came to TVFN, she was a real double barrel shotgun but you could see through the larger-than-life personality to the real cooking chops! Since first hitting the airwaves in 2008, you can see how she's matured in front of the camera. Less "growling," less references to "earl," and (thank God...LOL) less waving about of the chef's knife. She needed some time to get used to the camera and now she's incredible. Watch one of the 2008 shows vs. a more recent one and you'll see the difference. Yay Anne!!
Old 08-14-2009, 11:28 AM   #189
Cook

If we're talking about any chef, not limited to food network....Gordon Ramsay, hands down. The man is a genius in the kitchen, as is showcased by his BBC shows The F Word and Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares. Unfortunately in his stateside endeavors, he comes off as a pompus lout that turns too many viewers away from him. As much as I do like Hells Kitchen, I think the drama outweighs the fun of watching the chefs cook and compete, especially in seasons 6 where it seems they are purposely trying to go over the top.

Now for food network shows:

I used to like Emeril a lot more than I do now. Too many seasons of Emeril live and his camera theatrics. I am happy to say his show on Green TV, called Emeril Green, is completely refreshing. He's down to earth, and takes the time to go one on one with a guest he helps answer specific cooking challenges for.

I just watched the Chefography episodes on food TV for Giada and Ina Garten. Both were very interesting, and I learned more about each than I did before. Remember the first season of Giada's everyday italian? she barely smiled and looked like she was about to cry she was so shy. Its a big difference from today.

I have to say I like Robert Irvine for his creative solutions on Dinner Impossible, and Bobby Flay in all of his shows is always great.

Now for my favorite? Hands down, ALTON BROWN. Good eats is a fantastic show, and Alton's blend of science and cooking/baking really informs on how the process works. I wouldn't exactly call him the best chef on the network, but he is definately the best showman and food authority.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:47 PM   #190
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiguadreams View Post
If we're talking about any chef, not limited to food network....Gordon Ramsay, hands down.
Ramsey lost me forever when I watched him spit into a pan of food. People went all crazy when Bobby Flay jumped on a cutting board but find it entertaining when a (supposed) chef spits into a pan of potatoes? I got nauseous and swore that show off forever. Actually, when I realized that Hell's Kitchen was going to be focused on watching Ramsey wax apoplectic vs. the actual cooking, I bailed after the first season. I happened to catch the spitting incident when BF paused whilie channel surfing.

It's a shame because I so enjoyed some of the BBC shows. He did rail on employees when he found funky stuff living in refrigerators but the swearing and temper tantrums weren't so over the top as to make him a caricature of himself.