"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media
Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 03:04 PM   #191
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Mark Webster
I guess like everything else it truly is a matter of opinion. As a professional chef for over 30 years I review most of the so called star Chefs in a different light. Some would have serious problems working in a large kitchen, but I know that not all Chefs work in that type of environment. Also many of the dishes that they make are knockoffs or revisions of old recipes, again nothing wrong with that, but please don't make it appear like you originated a dish or procedure. Give credit where credit is rightfully due. An example I love to use is Rachel Ray. She admits to not being a Chef, but on line she is shown to be the highest paid Chef. Don't get me started about calling Extra Virgin Olive oil "EVO". I work for a Chef in New Zealand in 1979 and he called it EVO, but then again nearly every items in a professional kitchen has a slang name attached to it. Do you know what a Buffalo Choppper is? Or a Spider in the kitchen?

Old 08-14-2009, 05:56 PM   #192
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiffonade View Post
Ramsey lost me forever when I watched him spit into a pan of food.

Did anyone eat the potatoes? Or was it his way of saying "F you" with less words and the potatoes went into the trash? Its one thing to not like that act if someone ate it, its another if they threw it out because it was only worth spit.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:22 PM   #193
Sous Chef

Quote:
An example I love to use is Rachel Ray. She admits to not being a Chef, but on line she is shown to be the highest paid Chef
And you know that's the only thing I like about her. LOL. That she admits it, I mean and not the money thing. There's a lot of them on the air that should admit up front that they are by no means a chef.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:25 PM   #194
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefkathleen View Post
And you know that's the only thing I like about her. LOL. That she admits it, I mean and not the money thing. There's a lot of them on the air that should admit up front that they are by no means a chef.

She wouldn't be making the money she's making if it weren't for Oprah. She would still be doing 30 minute meals, but Oprah liked her personality and marketed it.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:30 AM   #195
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefallin1309 View Post
She wouldn't be making the money she's making if it weren't for Oprah. She would still be doing 30 minute meals, but Oprah liked her personality and marketed it.
Ain't that the truth.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:09 AM   #196
Sous Chef

Easy

1.2 fat ladys on a motorcycle.
2.Gorden Ramsey.
3.Alton Brown.
4.Paula Deen "even if she is a loony toon"
5.Tyler Florence.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:52 PM   #197
Cook

heston blumenthal in his program ''in search of perfection'' is pretty good and intresting
Old 08-22-2009, 08:08 PM   #198
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chile Chef View Post
Easy

1.2 fat ladys on a motorcycle.
2.Gorden Ramsey.
3.Alton Brown.
4.Paula Deen "even if she is a loony toon"
5.Tyler Florence.
Chili Chef, I like your thinking! I liked 2 fat ladies when they were first on Food network, but honestly that was back in the days when they were building their stable and stuck with stuff that was out there and popular as they took future risks. I'm sad to see them off the air (and I think one died?).

Gordon is gordon. he spits, he yells, he throws tantrums, and that's what apparently keeps him on the US airwaves. Personally, I love his BBC shows more for the fact it shows him as a family man (f-word) and as a critic for good food (ramsay's kitchen nightmares). Hell's kitchen is a farce this season... I love robert to pieces, but to see last weeks charade (with him panting off screen in the interview room while we watch him on the 6 man bike) tells me that he recovered from his issues, as apparently he was sick immediately after that incident, not in time for any interviews where he looks healthy and happy. I really hate that fact of hell's kitchen, the interviews meant to tie in with current events, although they are post dated and supposedly interwine with the drama and the axings.

Alton is my number one. that man is a genius when it comes to food
science.

Paula is paula. I love her to bits, although her non-stick cookware is worth a crap, and her knives dull far sooner than "japanese steel" should.

Tyler is great! I get some good inspiration from his show tyler's ultimate.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:44 PM   #199
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Webster View Post
Do you know what a Buffalo Choppper is? Or a Spider in the kitchen?
I think I know what a buffalo chopper is and I definitely know what a spider is.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
Old 08-23-2009, 02:12 AM   #200
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiguadreams View Post
Chili Chef, I like your thinking! I liked 2 fat ladies when they were first on Food network, but honestly that was back in the days when they were building their stable and stuck with stuff that was out there and popular as they took future risks. I'm sad to see them off the air (and I think one died?).

Gordon is gordon. he spits, he yells, he throws tantrums, and that's what apparently keeps him on the US airwaves. Personally, I love his BBC shows more for the fact it shows him as a family man (f-word) and as a critic for good food (ramsay's kitchen nightmares). Hell's kitchen is a farce this season... I love robert to pieces, but to see last weeks charade (with him panting off screen in the interview room while we watch him on the 6 man bike) tells me that he recovered from his issues, as apparently he was sick immediately after that incident, not in time for any interviews where he looks healthy and happy. I really hate that fact of hell's kitchen, the interviews meant to tie in with current events, although they are post dated and supposedly interwine with the drama and the axings.

Alton is my number one. that man is a genius when it comes to food
science.

Paula is paula. I love her to bits, although her non-stick cookware is worth a crap, and her knives dull far sooner than "japanese steel" should.

Tyler is great! I get some good inspiration from his show tyler's ultimate.
Just remember Antiguadreams, They go ahead and splice all the pieces together that makes him look the best before the final cut.