"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media
Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 05:18 PM   #221
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
Goodweed, Batali is gone from TVFN except for an occasional rerun. and no doubt if they could find an untalented Japanese cook, Morimoto would be replaced, too...
The Food Network has become an entertainment spectical rather than a place to really learn new skills. As such, it is successful. But if I wanted entertainment, then I'd be watching Batman or something.

Then again, this is the place I come to for new ideas and inspiration. I do love to assist others too. Maybe we could all throw together 10 bucks and create the Discuss Cooking channel. It would certainly be more genuine.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 08-31-2009, 07:01 PM   #222
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
The Food Network has become an entertainment spectical rather than a place to really learn new skills. As such, it is successful. But if I wanted entertainment, then I'd be watching Batman or something.

Then again, this is the place I come to for new ideas and inspiration. I do love to assist others too. Maybe we could all throw together 10 bucks and create the Discuss Cooking channel. It would certainly be more genuine.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
Here's an article in the NYT that I think applies:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/02/ma...20Couch&st=cse
(it does require a free registration)

Old 09-02-2009, 12:57 PM   #223
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post
Here's an article in the NYT that I think applies:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/02/ma...20Couch&st=cse
(it does require a free registration)
I still make most everything from scratch that I can, including egg noodles and barbecue sauce. But I don't butcher animals or fowl (though I have and so am no stranger to the task). The article was entertaining and probably speaks to many of us here. I think that though we seem to be few, judging from the numbers of people who visit this site, we aren't archaic, and still represent a sizable portion of the world citizenry. I do have to admit though, that most people I come into contact with do very little cooking. I have changed that in a few of my co-workers, who have at least managed to make mac & cheese from a box, and who have learned to use the Foreman Grill. Still, I am something of an oddity, though an appreciated oddity at pot lucks and gatherings.

As the article states, though so many people don't cook, they still like to eat well.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 09-02-2009, 07:37 PM   #224
Assistant Cook

Sara moulton

FYI Everyone:

Not sure if Sara Moulton actually got bumped off FNTV or quit(?), but she went on to maybe greater stuff?!! Check out the masthead of GOURMET Magazine, I checked their current issue of September 2009. For some time now she has been and is the Executive Chef of the Cooking Arts Center at Gourmet Magazine in NY. Somewhere I read she's so busy running their various shows, doing guest stints all over the country, and cooking, which she does very well; I have to wonder if she has time to miss the Food Network.

She was and is a teacher, as was Julia Child.

Best to all;

Pennsy
Old 09-02-2009, 10:26 PM   #225
Assistant Cook

I like Paula Deen because she makes southern food, Giada De Laurentiis, and Bobby Flay.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:32 PM   #226
Cook

Send a message via ICQ to chiffonade Send a message via AIM to chiffonade Send a message via Yahoo to chiffonade
It's such a tough call! Ina is a tremendously gifted chef and has made scads of money by cooking - the real "acid" test. Michael Chiarello's cooking makes my mouth water. While he created spectacular foods by cooking, one of his flagship creations HAS to be this masterful assemblage of the Ultimate Cheese Course. What about Anne Burrell? Daisy Martinez?

TVFN should start plastering THESE faces all over the place and maybe nuke some of the talking heads.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:56 PM   #227
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystieDawn View Post
I like Paula Deen because she makes southern food, Giada De Laurentiis, and Bobby Flay.

In true buckytom form: Paula Dean made Giada and Bobby? Wow, she is talented!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
Old 09-08-2009, 01:27 PM   #228
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsy View Post
FYI Everyone:

Not sure if Sara Moulton actually got bumped off FNTV or quit(?), but she went on to maybe greater stuff?!! Check out the masthead of GOURMET Magazine, I checked their current issue of September 2009. For some time now she has been and is the Executive Chef of the Cooking Arts Center at Gourmet Magazine in NY. Somewhere I read she's so busy running their various shows, doing guest stints all over the country, and cooking, which she does very well; I have to wonder if she has time to miss the Food Network.

She was and is a teacher, as was Julia Child.

Best to all;

Pennsy
FYI: Sara Moulton was the Executive Chef of Gourmet long before she went on FNTV. She was quite able to do both, thank you very much. Don't let FNTV off the hook!
Old 09-08-2009, 02:47 PM   #229
Assistant Cook

Correction Received

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
FYI: Sara Moulton was the Executive Chef of Gourmet long before she went on FNTV. She was quite able to do both, thank you very much. Don't let FNTV off the hook!
I sit corrected!

No contest, Ms. Moulton was and is a busy lady no matter how/where/when she started. She was an early featured cook on FNTV when I first started watching. The Food Network programs featuring the big crowds, bands and the hoopla of the Emeril ilk got me totally turned OFF on the Food Network. Pardon the pun. FNTV continues to turn out programs peopled with 'carney performers,' peddling entertainment. I seldom watch anymore.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:20 PM   #230
Assistant Cook

For me, Emeri, Sara Moulton and Mario Batali are my personal favourites. I also like James Barber aka the Urban Peasant.