"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media
Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 09:07 PM   #281
Senior Cook

Steven Raichlen! kind of dull, and really doesn't have much of a tv personality, but his food is out of this world. Just look at the show, he has 2 or 3 smokers going while he is showing how to cook another. I would love to meet this man.

//www.lowcarbgrub.com
Old 02-13-2011, 12:02 AM   #282
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
If you don't know Ina, you shouldn't put thoughts in her head that you don't know are there.

She's actually a very kind and sweet person, and I don't think she looks down at anyone.

FWIW, many of the personalities cited in this thread are not chefs at all. They are TV cooking personalities. I wonder if that is what the OP meant, or did they mean Chefs in the strict sense of the word?

are you a personal friend. sorry i call them like i see them. she really thinks she is all that. her and her strange little "friends"

Old 02-13-2011, 12:37 AM   #283
Executive Chef

Gary Rhodes and Paul Heathcote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:12 AM   #284
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by megamark View Post
Steven Raichlen! kind of dull, and really doesn't have much of a tv personality, but his food is out of this world. Just look at the show, he has 2 or 3 smokers going while he is showing how to cook another. I would love to meet this man.
I have a couple of his books. He has a lot of good information on grilling and smoking and several of his recipes have become favorites here at Casa de Hoot.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:04 AM   #285
Executive Chef

There are several that have grown to grate on me. Rachel Ray being at the top of the list. Ina can go away along with the Neelys. The worst "personality" though has got to be Martha Stewart! What a piece of work! I'll never forget how she treated that contestant on Next Food Network Star, Kelsey, who happened to be a big fan of hers. Her being a guest judge, I found it appalling when she made a comment about not usually eating food like that and refusing to try it. I really hate snobs that think they are better than others.

Why can't they bring back folks like David Rosengarten or David Ruggerio!

Craig
Old 02-13-2011, 10:41 AM   #286
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

This does seem like an unfair question. Your favorites depend on the kind of food you like.

I didn't watch Bobby Flay until he started the Throwdown show which I love. His food up until then was mostly grilled which I don't do, plus being all about heat. I don't like spicy foods any more, and roasting and peeling peppers isn't going to happen for me anytime soon.

I don't watch Giada because I don't spend money on Panchetta which she seems to use in everything, plus I don't really care that much for Italian cooking. She also needs to work on her wardrobe. I find it unpleasant watching her cook with her cleavage hanging out. It's not appetizing. The way the show is filmed, the cleavage is right in the middle of the screen.

I didn't watch Sandra Lee for a long time for the same reason, but she dresses more appropriately now and makes dishes I like.

The Neelys make some good dishes, but I often watch with the sound turned off. Too chatty.

I do watch Paula Deen a bit more because her dishes are most often the ones I will use as I'm a Southern gal who loves Southern food. I also like her directness. She makes me feel like she is talking to me. A lot of people won't like that though and those same people might not like me for the same reason. I don't have any problem being direct and to the point without beating around a bush.

I like Ina Garten, she does make some dishes that I would make and she comes across very pleasantly.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:35 PM   #287
Executive Chef

double serving of masterchef just came on tv that i'm watching. does anybody here think they could make it on a show such as this one?
Old 06-21-2011, 06:29 AM   #288
Head Chef

I'd fancy a meal prepared by any of the following: Hubert Keller, Jacques Pepin, Gordon Ramsey, Mario, Anne Burrell, Ming, Morimoto, probably Michael Symon too, though Giggles (our nickname for him from long, long ago when he hosted a show with Aaron Sanchez on FN) would definitely have to stay in the kitchen.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:53 AM   #289
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

It depends on what you're hungry for.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:18 PM   #290
Cook

Love the show but I couldn't do it. My forte is looking at a recipe and knowing pretty much what it will taste like, and collecting good recipes. I'm not creative however.