"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media
Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 04:22 PM   #291
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
I'd fancy a meal prepared by any of the following: Hubert Keller, Jacques Pepin, Gordon Ramsey, Mario, Anne Burrell, Ming, Morimoto, probably Michael Symon too, though Giggles (our nickname for him from long, long ago when he hosted a show with Aaron Sanchez on FN) would definitely have to stay in the kitchen.
I would eat with any of them but would add Michael Cirallo from Turlock love his foods. Ahhhhh napa what a treasure.
kades

Old 06-21-2011, 09:52 PM   #292
Executive Chef

this best chef thread makes for interesting reading. i know i'll be checking out some of the chefs receiving high marks in these blogs. jacques pepin is a perennial favorite of mine, and ramsay, bastianich, bourdain and ming are all top notch in my book. i don't at all care for eric ripert's personality though his cooking credentials seem to be above reproach. paula deen just plain gets on my nerves, besides which her cooking just doesn't often appeal to me.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:55 PM   #293
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Had the opportunity to sit up at Morimoto's bar in his restaurant in Philly several years ago with Baby Bro and SIL. Got the whatever the chef felt like special, which was horrendously expensive for 4, but what an amazing experience!
Old 06-22-2011, 05:30 PM   #294
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Had the opportunity to sit up at Morimoto's bar in his restaurant in Philly several years ago with Baby Bro and SIL. Got the whatever the chef felt like special, which was horrendously expensive for 4, but what an amazing experience!
you have a priceless lifetime family memory to keep. it would be a travesty to pass by a table such as that, no?
Old 06-22-2011, 05:42 PM   #295
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta

you have a priceless lifetime family memory to keep. it would be a travesty to pass by a table such as that, no?
Even got a pic of us with Morimoto who was flashing a double peace sign! Indeed memorable.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:43 AM   #296
Assistant Cook

best cook on TV

I like the cooking style of Chuck from "Chuck's Day Off." Jaque Pepin' can cook. Can't watch people like Rocco Dispirito or Gay Fieri, Neelys. I like America's Test Kitchen as far as cooking shows go. Haven't we all had enough of Gordon Ramsay? If you want to watch something funny, go to youtube and type "Little Gordon Ramsay." A kid impersonates Gordon in a 3 part series. It's priceless. One question...Why are Paula Dean and her two annoying sons popular? Oh...and what's up with that chick...ummm...Melissa D'Arabian or whatever her face is. They call themselves chefs but only guys like Mario Vitali and Anthony Bourdain and people like that ever really worked in real kitchens for any appreciable time. Bobby Flay doesn't impress me, personally. I like that Latina woman...the other one that's not Daisy. Anne Burell needs to stop making all those spazztic gestures when she tastes something...She also has to stop talking like kermit the frog....and saying things like..."makes me a happy, happy girl,,,thanks for coming, garlic......Brown food tastes good....Look at me mutlitasking....a little sprinky dink of salt....just give it a chop-o-lata.....etc etc etc....Anyway...there are tons of Celebrity "chefs" that are painful to watch. Oh...and for you Emeril fans, quit cheering every time he puts a splash of vino in something or applauding like idiots when he adds crushed garlic. So lame.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:01 AM   #297
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackattack1 View Post
I like the cooking style of Chuck from "Chuck's Day Off." Jaque Pepin' can cook. Can't watch people like Rocco Dispirito or Gay Fieri, Neelys. I like America's Test Kitchen as far as cooking shows go. Haven't we all had enough of Gordon Ramsay? If you want to watch something funny, go to youtube and type "Little Gordon Ramsay." A kid impersonates Gordon in a 3 part series. It's priceless. One question...Why are Paula Dean and her two annoying sons popular? Oh...and what's up with that chick...ummm...Melissa D'Arabian or whatever her face is. They call themselves chefs but only guys like Mario Vitali and Anthony Bourdain and people like that ever really worked in real kitchens for any appreciable time. Bobby Flay doesn't impress me, personally. I like that Latina woman...the other one that's not Daisy. Anne Burell needs to stop making all those spazztic gestures when she tastes something...She also has to stop talking like kermit the frog....and saying things like..."makes me a happy, happy girl,,,thanks for coming, garlic......Brown food tastes good....Look at me mutlitasking....a little sprinky dink of salt....just give it a chop-o-lata.....etc etc etc....Anyway...there are tons of Celebrity "chefs" that are painful to watch. Oh...and for you Emeril fans, quit cheering every time he puts a splash of vino in something or applauding like idiots when he adds crushed garlic. So lame.
Wow, you're certainly a breath of fresh air.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:30 AM   #298
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagriller View Post
Wow, you're certainly a breath of fresh air.
Vagriller....I think you might like something I found while bopping around the internet....I believe if you type "Food Network TV parody," you'll find a site devoted to taking shots at Celebrity "chefs." Some pretty funny comments about the "talent" from Food Network.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:41 AM   #299
Senior Cook

Heston Blumenthal, Anthony Bourdain, and most Australian celebrity chefs are my favourite.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:48 AM   #300
Assistant Cook

I forgot to mention Lidia Bastianich (sp?) and Nick something-other.....umm...Nick (insert Italian last name here.) It's something like Nick Stravino. Anyway, they can cook and keep a food program interesting. I like Mario's knife skills. Ming also can work a knife beautifully. Ever see how Emeril preps? In my opinion, he doesn't hold a chefs knife properly. He puts his index finger extended out over the top of the blade. One's hand would tire quickly this way as well as compromise speed while chopping large quantities. It's just plain awkward. Maybe when he worked in kitchens in Portugal he had some game. These days, I just don't see it. Just because he became famous doesn't mean he has to let his cooking skills deteriorate. Maybe it's just me. Yan can cook is fun to watch with a knife. Anne Burell can handle a knife. She's annoying but has restaurant skills in my opinion.