"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media
Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 09:39 AM   #351
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Mark Bittman has been on TV a lot.
Yes, but would you watch an hour of him?

Old 01-15-2012, 10:16 AM   #352
Sous Chef

First choice for sure, Jacques Pepien followed by Lydia Bastianich and Daisy Martinez. They are, to me, COOKING, FEEDING chefs. Not just food show personalities. But I would love to hang with Bourdain and Batali.

I do think that when chefs open up resturants at multiple locations around the country that things must get diluted and lost in the translation between the name on the door and the person doing the actual cooking. But then again, I have never had the opportunity to eat at any of them.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:33 AM   #353
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryDAmore View Post
Yes, but would you watch an hour of him?
I have, many times.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:12 PM   #354
Cupcake

I honestly do not know who I would choose. I'd want someone who was willing to experiment with food and would be willing to go out of their comfort zone to cook for me. I find that most TV chefs have a niche, which I would find limiting. I tend to go through phases. One summer, I went through a lemon phase where everything I made had lemon in it. Now days, I am in a seasonal phase where I want foods that are local and seasonal, if possible.

I think I would choose either Harold Dieterle (the winner of the first Top Chef challenge) or Alton Brown. Not because of looks or any other reason than I think both would say, "Let's try it" when I say something absurd like, "What is it and can we make it into a mousse?" I also think they could roll with the "I just want beans and weinies with cornbread tonight" without getting huffy or telling me that it is hardly French/proper, etc. Nor do I think either would be tearful or offended if I said, "Seriously, dude. It needs more wasabi." You know?

Old 01-15-2012, 12:51 PM   #355
Executive Chef

The problem with the question asked in this topic is that there's no single way to define "best" that everybody would agree upon. "Best" means different things to different people because they are looking for different qualities in TV chefs. In some ways this is similar to trying to define the "best" food or "best cuisine." All of these bests depend on personal preferences.

I'm interested in learning recipes and cooking techniques from TV chefs so the best TV chef is the one that teaches me the most about recipes, cooking and cuisine that interests me.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #356
Cupcake

Actually, I think the OP was pretty clear. "Put it this way, who would you want to cook for you if you were having an important Anniversary dinner ? Just cook for you behind closed doors." That is what I answered.

In order to judge between chefs to determine which is the overall most skilled rather than which someone would prefer, one would need basis for comparison.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:17 AM   #357
Assistant Cook

Pepin is prob the best cook, but for my dinner, it would be the guy who used to do "The Surreal Gormet". I can't remember his name, but I would laugh through the whole meal!
Old 02-01-2012, 10:16 PM   #358
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
If you want to be inspired get "Julia and Jacques: Cooking at Home" (the book). You can get inspired anytime you want and no TV set necessary. It's one of my favorite cookbooks, and a few more favorite cookbooks by Julia inspire me too.

on your recommendation, greg, i sent away for the julia and jacques book today.
you say it is one of your favorite cookbooks. hopefully it will be one of my favorites, too. actually chances are good since i have not bought a cookbook in many, many years. i am a big fan of both julia and jacques, and for $7.00 i don't think i can go wrong with this collaboration....
Old 02-01-2012, 10:47 PM   #359
Executive Chef

Vitauta I'm pleased that you'd value my recommendation, and from reading this forum I think most of the members would enjoy J&J Cooking at Home. It's an interesting book in that Julia and Jacques don't always agree or at least have different perspectives, so it's an interesting look into the minds of two leading chefs.

Your $7 deal sounds like an Amazon used book special to me and a very good deal if hardcover. I'm pretty sure mine came from Amazon in "like new" condition although I'm pretty sure I paid significantly more. I've often found very good deals on "like new" cookbooks. Apparently a lot of people buy cookbooks and never open them. Or like me they keep treasured cookbooks out of the kitchen and work from notes instead of the books themselves.

If you like this cookbook you should get Julia's French cooking book next. I think the message of both J&J and her French cookbook is cooking ordinary foods and simple ingredients and then dressing them up with cooking techniques such as saucery. It's amazing what you can do with a chicken, some cream and stock, and a few spices.

Please let me know how you like this cookbook. I'll be pleased if you become as fond of it as I have.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:53 PM   #360
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I never take a cookbook into the kitchen...notes only.