"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media
Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 10:55 PM   #361
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60
I never take a cookbook into the kitchen...notes only.
Just what room do you take your cookbooks into??

Old 02-01-2012, 10:57 PM   #362
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

The living room...just like normal folks...

Old 02-01-2012, 11:56 PM   #363
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I erred a few times and I learned my lesson. My beloved hard cover Joy of Cooking has a small stain on at least one page. I was so furious at myself that I vowed to mend my ways. It makes me shudder to think that Julia & Jacques or Julia's Mastering the Art of French Cooking could ever have a stain. I'm pretty sure most of my cookbooks will fetch a dear price some day when I'm gone to my final reward. Even better if they don't have books then! I'm pretty sure that's at least a couple decades in the future.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #364
Senior Cook

Location: Central Kentucky---Where The Bluegrass Meets The Mountains
At first I wasn't going to, but I broke down and waded through this entire thread. I'd like to offer a few comments:

1. Just to settle the issue, "chef" is title that applies to the person who runs a professional kitchen. It merely means "chief." Sometimes it's appropriately applied to those who run specific stations in the kitchen, for those few who still run full brigades. In theory, a "chef" doesn't even have to know how to cook.

2. I found myself bemused at all the ways members define "best." My over-riding question: How to you begin to judge a chef's cooking ability unless you've tasted his/her food? That's what the job is all about. If I'm counting right, in going on 400 posts, only three mentioned that at all.

3. Count me among the abnormal. Cookbooks, to me, are tools, not some sort of sacred icons. I wouldn't hesitate to take any of the 500 or so I own into the kitchen. And if one of them gets a gravy stain on a page, so what?

Finally, to answer the OPs question. Counting only celebrity chefs whose food I've eaten, along with other factors, I would unhesitently choose Eric Ripart. But I may be biased, as I firmly believe that if Ripart isn't the finest chef working in America he runs whoever is a very close second.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #365
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I'm the opposite. Many of my books have stained pages, not to mention notes on how I modified the recipes right on the very page so I can remember for next time.

I designed my book to have a solid spine but a spiral binding inside so the book lays flat. Otoh, when it's a coffee-table book, I xerox the pages I want to use so I won't break the spine.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:55 PM   #366
Senior Cook

Location: Central Kentucky---Where The Bluegrass Meets The Mountains
It's always bugged me how little room there is in the margins to record modifications. So, when we designed our books, we intentionally left space for notes and comments at the bottom of each recipe for just that reason.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:15 PM   #367
Chef Extraordinaire

Jacques Pepin. Hands down.

We also have a chef here that appears occasionally on TV as a guest. Jasper White. He is a recognized authority on seafood. He makes his chowders the old fashion way. No thickeners other than a few mashed potatoes that are in the chowder. And he uses salt pork or slab bacon.

Sara Moulton is on PBS and the Create channel. The Create channel shows a lot of the cooking shows from their archives. Nick Stellino is presently being shown once a week.

The FN wanted to clean house and attract a younger audience. So a lot of the chef's left and went elsewhere. Too bad. They now have fewer trained chefs and more home cooks. I want to learn the tricks that the pro's use. Home cooking I know. All that cheerfulness in the kitchen is more than I can take. There are some days I just don't feel that happy to be cooking.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:40 AM   #368
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
I'm the opposite. Many of my books have stained pages, not to mention notes on how I modified the recipes right on the very page so I can remember for next time.

I designed my book to have a solid spine but a spiral binding inside so the book lays flat. Otoh, when it's a coffee-table book, I xerox the pages I want to use so I won't break the spine.
I have to admit that I am VERY OCD about any books...I am barely able to write my name on the inside cover. The cookbooks are used as references, modifications go in a notebook and then into the cookbook.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:19 AM   #369
Sous Chef

Since we are a bit off topic anyway, I use two large photo albums. The first one gets all of my clippings/ recipes to try. The recipes with modifications or as is gets moved to the second book only if I absolutely know its TNT and I will make it again.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:13 PM   #370
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
We also have a chef here that appears occasionally on TV as a guest. Jasper White. He is a recognized authority on seafood. He makes his chowders the old fashion way. No thickeners other than a few mashed potatoes that are in the chowder. And he uses salt pork or slab bacon.
Jasper White is one of the best chefs anywhere, imho. We used to be neighbors when I lived in the North End. and although he is "famous" for seafood, and his wonderful Summer Shacks, he can cook me the dinner of his choice anytime.

I think he is not more famous (nationally) because he's never sought that out. But everyone who loves to cook should know him, at least through his recipes.