"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media
Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 09:48 PM   #381
Sous Chef

I'm flattered if someone asks me and willingly give out a recipe.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:11 PM   #382
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlot View Post
Me too.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:24 PM   #383
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Although my 1975 Joy of Cooking has lots of notes and drips and splashes, I would never do that to book belonging to someone else. Actually, nowadays there isn't room to bring a cookbook into the kitchen. It stays on the dining table (right next to the archway between the kitchen and dining room) where I can quick read what it says. Most of our recipes are typed up and printed out with notes. We keep them in a ring binder and take them out and stick them to the fridge with magnets, when cooking.

Getting those pages dirty is a good thing. When they are dirty enough, I enter the notes into the file and reprint.
The recipes I use all the time, cole slaw dressing, bleu cheese vinaigrette, Wasabi dressing...those are all on cards and taped on the inside of the cupboard door. I scribble notes from the cookbook, take those into the kitchen and they are a mess. They make it into the computer from there, I also print out a copy for a binder. My binders are filled with plastic sleeves, I can keep several copies of favorite recipes. I use the cookbooks as references, almost never do a recipe the same way it says in the book.

I am also likely to find 5 different recipes for the same thing, comparing, changing out those ingredients I want to use and the techniques that same me time.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:26 PM   #384
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlot View Post
I always share recipes, there's no such thing as a secret ingredient, unless I'm making fruit salad for my Dad.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:32 PM   #385
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoricFoodie View Post
I don't see any reason to write on my cookbooks. Nobody but me will see them. I'm not like some of the people you meet who control people by keeping their recipes secret

Maybe I'm tired, Greg. But I don't understand the connection between these two sentences.

What has willing to share recipes to do with whether or not you write notes and comments in cookbooks?.
My primary goals are (1) to develop good recipes, and (2) to share them with others.

I don't see what despoiling my cookbooks has to do with #2. And as I said, I keep my notes on my computer. I'd rather keep my cookbooks pristine. Scribbling in them has no benefit to me. Keeping them nice does.

I'm not opposed to others making notes in their cookbooks. I just don't like that in mine.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:46 PM   #386
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
And back to the topic of this thread, sort of. My favourite celebrity chef is Joshna Maharaj. She is often on a Canadian daytime TV show called Steven and Chris.

I know I would love her cooking. I can tell by the way she cooks, by her recipes, and especially by her enthusiasm and love of cooking. Excellent explanations of why things are done in a certain way certainly don't hurt.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:19 AM   #387
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
This is what my grandmother did. I've never been able to make it work for me. My practices are to scribble all over my cookbooks. Nothing is too sacred here. If PF saw what I can do to a cookbook, she would have prescription-grade OCD. At least I use pencil....usually.
These are your cookbooks. Some of the most cherished cookbooks are the ones that have notes written in them. You know they were really used and loved.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:33 PM   #388
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Actually, you can do whatever you like with your books...just don't ask to borrow one from me. I told someone once I'd rather lend my toothbrush.
No worries. I do not like lending cookbooks either, but will happily copy down a recipe for anyone. No lending of toothbrushes either. I will happily clip a twig and teach someone how to make one though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
These are your cookbooks. Some of the most cherished cookbooks are the ones that have notes written in them. You know they were really used and loved.
Exactly! I love the one that I have from a great grandmother that is scribbled throughout.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:54 PM   #389
Chief Eating Officer

3,000 years from now archeologist will have the technology to take a sample from the stains on our cookbooks and put them in their replicator to recreate the meals we made. The people who dig up the ruins of my house will be eating well I hope.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:23 PM   #390
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
No worries. I do not like lending cookbooks either, but will happily copy down a recipe for anyone. No lending of toothbrushes either. I will happily clip a twig and teach someone how to make one though.

Exactly! I love the one that I have from a great grandmother that is scribbled throughout.
Some of my favorite cookbooks/ recipes has a little something to do with the fact that they are in my grandmothers handwriting and having just lost her, it's soothing to me.

Closed Thread