"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media
Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 12:57 PM   #401
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
I did.

I might have picked Julia Child but she isn't available anymore.
I will pobably meet up with her before you do and I will let her know.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:59 PM   #402
Senior Cook

Location: Central Kentucky---Where The Bluegrass Meets The Mountains
Sorry if I misunderstood, Greg.

But, based on some of your posts, I think you're underrating yourself. I believe you have the skills to make anything in Flay's books. Not preplanning, as you've noted, is the biggest potential headache.

Consider this, too: For many of his ".....with Y" recipes, the "Y" can be made ahead. So, while collectively a particular recipe may take a lot of time, you can prep it with a series of steps done a day or two ahead.

And I agree. Within the framework of his style, Flay is a great chef---both talented and creative. And let's face it; anyone smart enough to marry Stephenie Marsh can't be all bad. :>)

Old 02-13-2012, 02:07 PM   #403
Assistant Cook

I'm certain he doesn't qualify as a celebrity, but I was incredibly impressed with Madison Cowan when he appeared on Chopped multiple times.
Galatians 2:20
Old 02-13-2012, 04:38 PM   #404
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoricFoodie View Post
But, based on some of your posts, I think you're underrating yourself. I believe you have the skills to make anything in Flay's books. Not preplanning, as you've noted, is the biggest potential headache.
IMO modesty is not a fault. I have certainly at times accomplished things more complex than Flay's recipes but generally after a great deal of work in a specific cuisine (Thai-Chinese for example, probably my best subject area). IMO Flay almost qualifies as a unique cuisine of his own and I'm going to have to work up to it, and it will also take a lot of advance planning and ingredient acquisition. Most of the food I cook is far less complex than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoricFoodie View Post
Consider this, too: For many of his ".....with Y" recipes, the "Y" can be made ahead. So, while collectively a particular recipe may take a lot of time, you can prep it with a series of steps done a day or two ahead.
I would almost go as far as to say most (all?) of Flay's sauces, relishes, chutneys, salsas, etc. can and should be prepared ahead, even if ahead is only the day before or afternoon before cooking the main dish. And most if not all of them look good enough to apply to other dishes too.
Old 02-13-2012, 05:54 PM   #405
Chef Extraordinaire

I think I enjoy doing the prep work more than the actual cooking. For some reason, there seems to be a mental letdown when the prep work in done and I turn to the stove.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:00 PM   #406
Executive Chef

I really enjoy the prep work because it's almost like some form of mediation for me. Chop, chop, chop. Dice, dice, dice. Slice, slice, slice. Place in bowls for mise en place. I find it very calming that it is so often mindless. When you start putting heat on things there's a schedule to meet, a timetable, and if you miss a beat you could spoil the meal or at least make something flawed. The final cooking is naturally a more tense time.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:50 PM   #407
Assistant Cook

I liked James Barber - "The Urban Peasant". He's the one responsible for getting me to cook anything more than hot dogs. There was this one utterly simple soup that he made on his show that I couldn't believe was any good. So I tried it.

1 can of creamed corn
1 empty can of creamed corn full of milk
1 pat of butter
1 palm of your hand full of curry

Heat. Eat. Wow!
Old 02-23-2012, 05:59 PM   #408
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biser View Post
I liked James Barber - "The Urban Peasant". He's the one responsible for getting me to cook anything more than hot dogs. There was this one utterly simple soup that he made on his show that I couldn't believe was any good. So I tried it.

1 can of creamed corn
1 empty can of creamed corn full of milk
1 pat of butter
1 palm of your hand full of curry

Heat. Eat. Wow!
That sounds good. Do you have the soup on its own or serve anything else with it?
Old 02-25-2012, 05:13 PM   #409
Chef Extraordinaire

Or you can make instant corn chowder. One can of cream style corn, one can of kernel corn, about three slices of bacon cooked til crispy, one can of potatoes, and one can of milk. Cook the bacon, add all the other ingredients. Knew a friend that used to make it and thought she was a great cook. I tasted it, but it wasn't what I would call chowder.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:54 AM   #410
Master Chef

Yes, that corn soup does sound good! I like to add chicken to mine, with the canned corn. If I don't have enough time tocook the potatoes, I use the instant version. It makes for a quick week night meal. On the side, I like to have either saltines or a salad. The soup, itself, is filling enough without having bread or something.