"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media
Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 10:54 AM   #71
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
I agree with Jacques Pepin.
But what I thought was funny, is I had the pleasure to see him in action at a cooking show in September. He said that now, he goes to stop and shop, gets the pre cut vegetables, has the Butcher as stop and shop debone his meat .... He did everything from scratch during the demonstration. And there is nothing wrong with the precut stuff. I was just a little surprised to hear him say it.
I think he was just giving the listeners/audience an option to make cooking a bit easier for Newbies. Alot of those shows the host will say "Ask your butcher to do that."

I have his techniques cookbook, and believe me, he doesn't need anything prepared.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:55 AM   #72
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
I agree with Jacques Pepin.
But what I thought was funny, is I had the pleasure to see him in action at a cooking show in September. He said that now, he goes to stop and shop, gets the pre cut vegetables, has the Butcher as stop and shop debone his meat .... He did everything from scratch during the demonstration. And there is nothing wrong with the precut stuff. I was just a little surprised to hear him say it.

I was watching an episode of his "...More Fast Food My Way" show and arthritis is evident in his hands. So day to day he gives himself a break. I guess the key is knowing which pre-cut foods are OK and which are not.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:09 AM   #73
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I was watching an episode of his "...More Fast Food My Way" show and arthritis is evident in his hands. So day to day he gives himself a break. I guess the key is knowing which pre-cut foods are OK and which are not.
Funny, Andy. That was my first thought because that's been my problem for a long while and I'm not a professional chef and prone to a lot of time in the kitchen. On my bad days, just holding a knife is painful.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:18 AM   #74
Head Chef

Sure, by no means am I knocking the guy. I respect him %100. And the truth is, when I first saw him in person, I almost didnt recognize him, as he looked like a frail old man. Not what I was used to seeing on the PBS show. It just took me by surprise, because you always hear everyone preaching how you shouldnt use the precut stuff because its lazy and bla bla bla. Its nice to know that someone as experienced as JP cuts a few corners too. I learned more in that 1/2 hour watching him then I do a year of watching most of the others. And actually, in the past he has been one of the chefs who cooks a dinner at the Saybrook Point Inn and Spa in Connecticut. So, for all those who want to experience a dinner cooked by JP, keep your eyes open. Usually this event happens in the spring. Im not sure when they announce the chefs who will participate. If I wernt a vegetarian, id go. But I dont feel like paying a few hundred bucks to eat the sprig of parsley >
Old 01-19-2009, 11:56 AM   #75
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Sure, by no means am I knocking the guy. I respect him %100...

Larry, I didn't take it as knocking him, I was just offering a possible explanation.

I have always been fascinated watching him because everything looks so easy and second nature when he does it. Also, he is explaining every step of the way. More of a teacher than a personality.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:59 AM   #76
Sous Chef

I miss seeing Julia Child and Jeff Smith. Justin Wilson knew how to cook Southern well.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:07 PM   #77
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Larry, I didn't take it as knocking him, I was just offering a possible explanation.

I have always been fascinated watching him because everything looks so easy and second nature when he does it. Also, he is explaining every step of the way. More of a teacher than a personality.
I'm not knocking FN but,

That's why I like his show and a couple others on different channels so much. Because after I watch it, I felt like I learned something and wasn't just watching to try to figure out what I want for dinner. His knife skills are impeccable, he doesn't just show you how to make a recipe but why he is adding an ingredient.

Sometimes my local public channel WLIW shows his old cooking techniques shows. On those shows there is no recipe or dish, but he will show you how to prepare an artichoke and what you can use the parts for, or how to line a sheet pan properly, etc.

I wish there were more shows like that, with "real" Chefs.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:14 PM   #78
Head Chef

1st would be Paula dean good down home cooking then Tyler & The neelys
Old 01-19-2009, 12:26 PM   #79
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
I think he was just giving the listeners/audience an option to make cooking a bit easier for Newbies. Alot of those shows the host will say "Ask your butcher to do that."

I have his techniques cookbook, and believe me, he doesn't need anything prepared.
He surely doesn't NEED things prepared for him, but people's lives do change. He is really a fabulous chef.

I'd like to change my answer ... I would surely enjoy it if ANY OF THEM were to prepare a special meal for me!
Old 01-19-2009, 12:38 PM   #80
Head Chef

I'm so tired of the celebrity chefs whose only purpose seems to be cooking for the cameras and the entertainment value. Lagasse is one of them.
I have a new love in my life and his name is Hubert Keller,Secrets of a Chef. This guy is a true chef and his recipes are soooo mouth watering. He's on the PBS Create channel, not sure if he's on the FoodTV network. Check this guy out and just watch what he does.