"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking > Food Shows, News and Media

Old 07-10-2015, 02:22 PM   #41
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Exactly. Plus, Addie, she does prepare meals for the ranch hands and her own family while they are out in the fields working and tending the livestock. Several of her shows have focused on that, and show her cooking and delivering a truckload of hot food and cold drinks to them.

I'm pretty sure everyone in that family is very busy. The kids are/were homeschooled, and I remember her saying that there is so much ranching to do, that one full day a week is crammed into homeschooling and homework is done throughout the week. They would have no time or need for 4-H.

Edit to add an afterthought - she probably doesn't take them food every single day - with running an operation as large as theirs is, it's probably a safe bet to say she and Ladd don't have too much down time.
I'd guess if they're one of the 20 largest landowners, they have a professional kitchen(s) feeding their staff. If she's taking a meal to a group, it's for the cameras.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:32 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I'd guess if they're one of the 20 largest landowners, they have a professional kitchen(s) feeding their staff. If she's taking a meal to a group, it's for the cameras.
I don't think she's lying about it. As I said, she's been doing this since long before she got the show. It's not something she does every day. If you watch it regularly, you see that there are certain times of the year when more hands are needed for a longer day. Most of the time, it's just the family and one ranch hand who lives in a small house on the property working the ranch.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:37 PM   #43
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Exactly right Andy and I'll add "more power to her". I followed her great fun blog long before she became famous, and always have found her delightfully entertaining. She doesn't claim to be a great chef, just cooking to please her American family, like most of us here.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:47 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I don't think she's lying about it. As I said, she's been doing this since long before she got the show. It's not something she does every day. If you watch it regularly, you see that there are certain times of the year when more hands are needed for a longer day. Most of the time, it's just the family and one ranch hand who lives in a small house on the property working the ranch.
Some fun reading:

http://thepioneerwoman.com/homeandga...all-went-down/

http://thepioneerwoman.com/homeandga...did-the-lodge/
Old 07-10-2015, 03:44 PM   #45
Executive Chef

I am my favorite TV chef!
Old 07-10-2015, 04:39 PM   #46
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Exactly right Andy and I'll add "more power to her". I followed her great fun blog long before she became famous, and always have found her delightfully entertaining. She doesn't claim to be a great chef, just cooking to please her American family, like most of us here.
Yep, I agree, Kay. I've followed her blog from the beginning, too. I got a kick out her writing style. She's done something right, her blog took off and she's a millionaire from display ads alone.

On the down side, I agree with those who have said she has a plastic smile on TV - I still watch her shows now and then for entertainment.

To answer the original question...I still watch Ina, but my faves are ATK and Cook's Country. CC doesn't seem to be on very much anymore.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:00 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

I've watched ATK a few times but the chefs seem wooden to me. I like Rick Bayless and have been recording his shows on my DVD. I've also been recording Bobby Flay's Barbecue Addiction. He has lots of great grilling recipes.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:28 AM   #48
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Exactly. Plus, Addie, she does prepare meals for the ranch hands and her own family while they are out in the fields working and tending the livestock. Several of her shows have focused on that, and show her cooking and delivering a truckload of hot food and cold drinks to them.

I'm pretty sure everyone in that family is very busy. The kids are/were homeschooled, and I remember her saying that there is so much ranching to do, that one full day a week is crammed into homeschooling and homework is done throughout the week. They would have no time or need for 4-H.

Edit to add an afterthought - she probably doesn't take them food every single day - with running an operation as large as theirs is, it's probably a safe bet to say she and Ladd don't have too much down time.
She tapes one full day a week during which up to four episodes are taped. Her production staff are busy piecing together episodes. One of the biggest challenges is to make sure she's wearing the right outfits for continuity. She now has a full time 'kitchen helper' who makes lunches and dinners for her family in the actual family kitchen. She spends an increasing number of days away on business/trade shows/promotional events. Check out her appearance schedule.
I'm in no way denigrating her just pointing out that sometimes things appear different on TV than the reality.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:20 AM   #49
Head Chef

Pioneer women, American test kitchen and the chew
Old 07-11-2015, 05:54 PM   #50
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I've watched ATK a few times but the chefs seem wooden to me. I like Rick Bayless and have been recording his shows on my DVD. I've also been recording Bobby Flay's Barbecue Addiction. He has lots of great grilling recipes.
I agree with you CG, and the rehearsed jokes that Christopher Kimball makes fall flat. But I enjoy the non-competition of ATK, down to earth just cooking, and their product reviews. I learn quite a bit from their shows.

I really like Bobby Flay's bbq addiction show, too! I have it DVR'ed but haven't seen any lately, because I have the programming set to 'new' shows. Wonder if it's still on, I'll have to look it up.

Tags
chef